Saban Coaching Error in game against Auburn

bamapuppy

1st Team
Mar 28, 2008
Hillsborough, NC
There were coaching mistakes and player mistakes in both the Iron Bowl and the Sugar Bowl. I don't think that is even arguable. I guarantee you if you ask Nick Saban if there were some coaching mistakes in those games he would tell you yes. They were team losses. Everyone had a part in the loss.
I agree with your statements. And second guessing everythign does not help, unless the coaches can see mistakes that the team, or themselves can learn from going forward. But, I do believe that if you look at the big picture, coach Saban, and his staff makes less mistakes than the other guys more often than not. I still believe that in the big picture, coach Saban is the best of the best. And, BAMA is blessed to have him in Tuscaloosa. Just My Opinion.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
I agree with your statements. And second guessing everythign does not help, unless the coaches can see mistakes that the team, or themselves can learn from going forward. But, I do believe that if you look at the big picture, coach Saban, and his staff makes less mistakes than the other guys more often than not. I still believe that in the big picture, coach Saban is the best of the best. And, BAMA is blessed to have him in Tuscaloosa. Just My Opinion.
Just be glad we're not stuck with les miles...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Here's what yall need to do boys (and girls). Do like me and delete the game off your DVR. Forget about it...put it out of your memory. It's likely an anomoly in the series as long as CNS is here.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Here's what yall need to do boys (and girls). Do like me and delete the game off your DVR. Forget about it...put it out of your memory. It's likely an anomoly in the series as long as CNS is here.
The problem is - it's NOT an anomaly. The exact same thing happened in 2010. There's not a huge difference in blowing a 21-7 lead or a 24-7 lead.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
It is far too easy to second guess a coaching decision. For starters, we get to see what's behind door #1, of course it's easier after the fact to say they should have picked door #2. However, we don't know what would have been behind door #2 either, we're just assuming.

If Henry comes in and fumbles, misses a blocking assignment, or is out of position, everyone would be screaming at the top of their lungs that it was a horrible choice to put a true freshmen in that sort of position. Furthermore, we don't even know who exactly made that choice, for all we know the guy that made that choice isn't at Alabama anyway.

Sometimes second guessing is kind of obvious, there was no reward and only risk. For instance, Shula going for it (in field goal range), late in the third quarter, up big, on fourth and long. The best outcome, the best possible outcome would have been running up the score. The worst would have been a player getting hurt on a stupid, immature play. If you want to second guess a coaching call, it's those sort of things you second guess. We've all seen truly boneheaded, inexplicable coaching decisions, and there's a ton of difference between running one of the best backs in college football on fourth down vs. a truly bad coaching decision.

By the way, I disliked the post in particular because there was no question mark used. As worded, it states coaching error as a declarative statement. It's also absurd to call a guy "hot" whose breakout game came after the one in question...
Don't disagree with anything you said here.

Note, however, Prothro was actually injured in the FOURTH quarter, not that it makes any difference to your point.

DallasRTR

3rd Team
Jul 26, 2007
I am not the head coach of a major college football program. I have never played college football. I sell software - so I'm not qualified to tell Saban what he may have done wrong. I watch college football because I love the game. I have opinions - and I would have liked to seen Henry in there more, but I will never question him - Saban knows so much more than I do - and the "ding dong" that wrote this article.

bamaslammer

All-American
Jan 8, 2003
Argo, AL, St Clair
www.kirkwoodhouse.com
In my mind their is no question the staff didn't make all the right decisions this season. That's not to say they are stupid. They are still right way more than they are wrong. As others have stated, we played Henry plenty against Oklahoma and lost by two touchdowns. My only concern is that they look at how it went and honestly evaluate themselves. I think looking at Saban's career he has always been willing to do that.

AgentAntiOrange

1st Team
Dec 30, 2009
Norman, OK
Know who the first, and loudest, people were that 2nd guessed CNS after the Iron Bowl that I saw? www.tidefans.com There was plenty of it in the thread asking why Drake didn't play more. Doesn't make much sense to criticize the author of this article now when we were all wondering why in the world Yeldon was given the entire load to carry on his own back then.

I agreed then with those who thought Drake/Henry should have played more and I agree with it now. Would it have guaranteed a win? Absolutely not. Did riding a less than healthy Yeldon even after he proved ineffective for much of the game hinder the offense? I believe it did. TJ had a 31 yard run very early in the first and a 24 yard run on the next to last play of the game. The middle 95% of the game he managed a decent YPC but, IMHO, both Drake and Henry would have provided a much needed explosive spark.

Now....maybe there are things I don't know. Maybe there were reasons that CNS felt he couldn't play either of them. I don't question his decision in that regard. But from strictly a personnel point of view, I believe that our chance at history went out the window with the decision not to spread the carries out more.

miggy402

1st Team
Aug 23, 2009
Waycross, GA
I'm not saying that CNS's decisions can't be questioned, but when you have had the success he's had, there's really not anyone I would consider qualified to second guess his decisions.

There have been many times I have wondered about the reasoning behind certain things (i.e. RB's playing time, etc) but then I remember, I don't have a clue what is going on behind closed doors with the team, so I just assume that his decisions are the right ones for the team based on the fact that he's led our team to 3 NC's.

bamafaninOhiO

All-American
May 11, 2010
Dayton, Ohio
I'm not saying that CNS's decisions can't be questioned, but when you have had the success he's had, there's really not anyone I would consider qualified to second guess his decisions.

There have been many times I have wondered about the reasoning behind certain things (i.e. RB's playing time, etc) but then I remember, I don't have a clue what is going on behind closed doors with the team, so I just assume that his decisions are the right ones for the team based on the fact that he's led our team to 3 NC's.

we're fans, we're entitled to discuss team related things, including players we think should have played more, or plays that maybe didnt work.

IO dont think its being critical to dsicuss those things. Saban is great, but, even the best can make a mistake now and then.

Coach Saban is the coach, and he has to make the decisions. Its not a matter of 'being qualified' to discuss decisions, I just think the fact that we love Bama football allows us to discuss any part of the program.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
I don't think Saban is above question. He has earned a general benefit of the doubt from me and most of our fanbase though. I just don't get how anyone could argue the injection of one player into a game would end in a win. Who knows? Henry could have had a really bad game that cost Alabama dearly in the Iron Bowl. Who knows if he's going to put up two TD v. two fumbles?

CoachJeff

Suspended
Jan 21, 2014
Shelby County Alabama
I always hate the "You can't second guess a HC b/c you're not a HC" philosophy. It's anti-intellectual, lazy and counter-productive on a message board. If I think Saban should have run a jet sweep on 4th and inches, that's fine. That's my opinion. (I don't think that by the way, but the point remains).

That said, I would not question not having Henry in against AU. At that point Henry hadn't shown much and as far as we knew was still learning pass blocking. The reason he played so much and so well against Oklahoma was that he had more time to practice. During the season practices don't focus on the things a youngster might need. If you're reading day 1 you're going to play day 1. If you're not ready day 1 you probably aren't playing much the rest of the year.

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama
Of course he's not, and I didn't say you or anyone shouldn't, if that's what you feel that needs to be done or our coaches deserve 2nd guessing, that's your right as a fan..I'm not going to 2nd guess him, cause except for a couple of games, our coaches have had our Boys in position to win every game, we've played since Coach Saban has been our HC..
Why? Is he excused from anyone second guessing him?

Last edited:

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
I agree, it is a cop-out argument to simply pull out "I don't question my coach" stuff. Saban makes mistakes but I don't know if Henry not playing is one of them. I think Henry just never quite made it into the plan for regular use early in the season. He looked mediocre early in the season in his opportunities. He had a good moment against Arkansas though. I don't think the Henry we saw in the bowl game was necessarily the Henry we would have hypothetically seen against Auburn. He's likely one of those guys who grew a lot in the bowl practice period (a glorified second camp). If anything, it probably makes the staff regret not committing to him more in August so he could have been an option late in November.

There were plenty of staff and player mistakes to go around in the Iron Bowl. It is pretty lame to boil it down to not playing Derrick Henry.

JDCrimson

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2006
I agree, it is a cop-out argument to simply pull out "I don't question my coach" stuff. Saban makes mistakes but I don't know if Henry not playing is one of them. I think Henry just never quite made it into the plan for regular use early in the season. He looked mediocre early in the season in his opportunities. He had a good moment against Arkansas though. I don't think the Henry we saw in the bowl game was necessarily the Henry we would have hypothetically seen against Auburn. He's likely one of those guys who grew a lot in the bowl practice period (a glorified second camp). If anything, it probably makes the staff regret not committing to him more in August so he could have been an option late in November.

There were plenty of staff and player mistakes to go around in the Iron Bowl. It is pretty lame to boil it down to not playing Derrick Henry.
I dont subscribe to the "win at all costs" mantra if you want to sustain a program long-term. If you are a member of a REC club or have your ear low to the ground you would know there are reasons that Drake didnt return to the field after the 1st Qtr of the IB that didnt have anything to do with his play on the field. Likewise, I am sure there are reasons (not the same sort of reasons that apply to Drake mind you) when did not see field earlier in the season. CNS wants his RBs to be able to play in most situations so that tendencies are not given away.

I will say the fact that we saw Henry at all during the Sugar Bowl probably had as much to do with CLK's pre-bowl evaluation as anything. I expect that based on his review that Henry was given a limited package of plays to run in the game that proved to be a successful experiment.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.