Saban Coaching Error in game against Auburn

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2014/02/sporting_news_for_the_first_ti.html

What do you think about this article? Do you think that's something Coach made mistake and learned a lesson? I think Derrick Should've played more starting in Mississippi State game. I think going forward, Coaches wouldn't hesitate playing the guy who's hot. Something tells me, Yeldon is on hot seat and will be working extra hard to keep his starting job.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
We played him against OU and still lost because everyone else around him was doing a keystone cop routine. I don't buy it. The "if" game is a great territory for off-season time passing but there are so many variables involved that it is hard to change one variable and not cause a completely different game.

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama
I'll never 2nd guess anything Coach Saban does, could Henry have been the difference had he gotten more carriers, of course, then again he might have fumbled he ball with more carries as well..All I know, Coach Saban & our coaching staff, had our Players in position to beat The Barn, all they had to do was make plays..Our players didn't & The Barns did..Simple as that..

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
And Matt Hayes is.........? Who the hell is he and what are his credentials for being a head football coach. IMO one play was not the difference in that game.

Last edited:

Florida Tom

All-American
Aug 15, 2011
Tampa, FL
And Matt Hayes is.........? Who the hell is he and what are his credentials for being a head football coach. IMO one play was not the difference in that game.
Exactly!

You know people forget our defense allowed the come back so it was a whole team loss, not just the kickers, running backs & that one crazy play.

This loss was a full team effort.

derek4tide

Hall of Fame
Jan 19, 2005
Daphne, AL
IMO, the entire "sports" staff at al.com is a complete and utter joke. It's all about hype and clicks on there. No substance at all. Give me Cecil or JessN any day. Roll Tide!

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
It is far too easy to second guess a coaching decision. For starters, we get to see what's behind door #1, of course it's easier after the fact to say they should have picked door #2. However, we don't know what would have been behind door #2 either, we're just assuming.

If Henry comes in and fumbles, misses a blocking assignment, or is out of position, everyone would be screaming at the top of their lungs that it was a horrible choice to put a true freshmen in that sort of position. Furthermore, we don't even know who exactly made that choice, for all we know the guy that made that choice isn't at Alabama anyway.

Sometimes second guessing is kind of obvious, there was no reward and only risk. For instance, Shula going for it (in field goal range), late in the third quarter, up big, on fourth and long. The best outcome, the best possible outcome would have been running up the score. The worst would have been a player getting hurt on a stupid, immature play. If you want to second guess a coaching call, it's those sort of things you second guess. We've all seen truly boneheaded, inexplicable coaching decisions, and there's a ton of difference between running one of the best backs in college football on fourth down vs. a truly bad coaching decision.

By the way, I disliked the post in particular because there was no question mark used. As worded, it states coaching error as a declarative statement. It's also absurd to call a guy "hot" whose breakout game came after the one in question...

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
I'll never 2nd guess anything Coach Saban does
Why? Is he excused from anyone second guessing him?

He's a writer for Sporting News. Cecil Hurt has about the same credentials for being a head coach. Want to ask him "who the hell he is?"

IMO, the entire "sports" staff at al.com is a complete and utter joke. It's all about hype and clicks on there. No substance at all. Give me Cecil or JessN any day. Roll Tide!
As I said above, he writes for Sporting News, not al.com.

To what Hayes wrote, Derrick would not have made a difference on that play. The offensive line was blown up because Auburn knew what was coming.

I do think Derrick wasn't played enough throughout the season, though. It was the one time Saban really didn't use a 3 back system. He primarily stuck with TJ and Kenyan. Derrick and Altee should have played more throughout the season.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
We win the iron bowl easily if DH plays in the game. I think its funny how many people on here say he shouldn't play because he hasn't learned to pass protect yet. You play to win the game. Not to prove a point that freshman have to learn everything before playing. Who cares if he didn't know the pass protections, he knows how to run the ball. There is a time and place to make a point for everything and one of those places is not the iron bowl. What's worse is that Yeldon was gimpy the whole game. Drake or DH would've got the job done that night. I kinda agree with the article. And yes CNS can make errors. He's human.

Catfish

Hall of Fame
Oct 11, 2005
Birmingham
IMHO, Yeldon's ankle injury made him a little hesitant and slow getting to the LOS in the Iron Bowl. I think it's very possible that one or more of the short yardage play would have been converted if another back had been carrying the ball on those downs. And, yes, the line didn't block well and another back could have coughed the ball up. But, given Yeldon's injury, I think Henry or Drake would have given us a better chance to convert. I fully support CNS and there's NOBODY I'd rather have coaching Bama, but that doesn't mean that he's incapable of making an error. He's the best coach in college football, he's not God.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
There were coaching mistakes and player mistakes in both the Iron Bowl and the Sugar Bowl. I don't think that is even arguable. I guarantee you if you ask Nick Saban if there were some coaching mistakes in those games he would tell you yes. They were team losses. Everyone had a part in the loss.

theballguy

Hall of Fame
Nov 5, 2012
Roll Tide Roll, Colorado USA
I thought the 2013 IB was over. I remember it as a very exciting game where we came out on the losing end albeit on a freakish play at the end. Mistakes are made in every game. We had a few weeks before the Sugar Bowl to rehash this. It's over. Time to move on. :) RTR

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
October 16, 1985. Dodgers lead the Cardinals, 5-4, in game six of the NLCS. If the Cardinals win, they go to the World Series; if the Dodgers win, game seven for all the marbles is the next day.

Two outs. Top of the ninth. Cardinals have runners at second third (tying and potential winning). First base open. Their one long-ball guy, Jack Clark, is at the plate against their closer, Tom Niedenfuer.

Tommy Lasorda gets ONE CHANCE. Do I walk Clark and bring up the left-hander Andy Van Slyke (hitting .118) with the bases loaded for a righty-left match-up? Or do I pitch to Clark and take my chances. Niedenfuer struck Clark out his last time up.

What do you do? Well, Lasorda says pitch and Clark golfs the first one 450 feet deep into the left-field seats for a three-run homer that wins the pennant. Pundits scream bloody murder - Lasorda should have walked him.

Well guess what? If Lasorda walks him and then Niedenfuer either throws a wild pitch, gives up a hit that scores two runs, or gives up a grand slam, the same people who said "walk him" start saying, "Well, they should have pitched to Clark since he struck out the last time."

It is so EASY to say months after the fact what should have been done. If a team loses, you can always find that "one play" that would have won the game. Gee, if Griffin hits the 57-yarder, Saban looks like the cat who ate the canary and we go play Missouri.

Or if a better play is called when Yeldon is stuffed.

Or if Drake plays another series or two.

Or if we don't give up 13 points in the final 31 seconds.

We could go on and on and never reach a resolution. Personally, I think the Upchurch play should have been called on the fourth and one but as Gene Stallings so often said, "If you can't FALL that far, you don't deserve to win."

colbysullivan

Hall of Fame
Dec 12, 2007
Gulf Breeze, FL
The refs should have spotted the ball correctly on 3rd down. Coach should have kicked the field goal instead of running on 4th and 1. Amari should have held onto the ball in the endzone. Henry should have played more.

Blah blah blah, we can go on and on about ifs and buts, but the bottom line is Bama is better than Auburn and none of those individual plays should have mattered. We failed to put the game away when it mattered, and that is why we lost.

bamafaninOhiO

All-American
May 11, 2010
Dayton, Ohio
We win the iron bowl easily if DH plays in the game. I think its funny how many people on here say he shouldn't play because he hasn't learned to pass protect yet. You play to win the game. Not to prove a point that freshman have to learn everything before playing. Who cares if he didn't know the pass protections, he knows how to run the ball. There is a time and place to make a point for everything and one of those places is not the iron bowl. What's worse is that Yeldon was gimpy the whole game. Drake or DH would've got the job done that night. I kinda agree with the article. And yes CNS can make errors. He's human.

or, he has two fumbles in the game..or misses a block and McCarron gets blindsided, possibly injured...

point is, we dont see what the coaches see throughout the practices. Its just way too easy to be a sunday second guesser; I bet the coaches would like to set game plans based on reviewing the tape of the game theyre about to play too...

and for the record, no coach is immune from critique.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.