News Article: Does Saban run the world, or just college football?

theballguy

Hall of Fame
Nov 5, 2012
Roll Tide Roll, Colorado USA
http://markbradley.blog.ajc.com/2014/02/14/does-saban-run-the-world-or-just-college-football/

Mark Bradley, the AJC & the jawga puppies sure are envious of Alabama.
UGA has a great program and I believe an outstanding coach (Mark Richt) but they will never be UA. :) -- that out of the way, I do have to ask myself, if Coach Saban wasn't such a proven winner, would he have as much influence on policies? Maybe not. That's how it goes.

However, there is some legitimate concern about potential injury issues that defenses risk when going against HUNH offenses. If CNS wasn't in the forefront (and he may be getting the brunt of the backlash but really how do we know he is that involved in all this?), someone else would be leading it. It is definitely a legitimate concern and all this backlash is simply politickin'. It's really obvious that the ones against this are being self-serving with their criticisms.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I have never heard so much crap about such a minor change. Strictly from a mechanical standpoint, it will barely have an effect. As I said in the other thread, I think it's mainly a message to the refs that they have to be more deliberate. You'd think the rule was instead that they (HUNH) have to take a three-point stance and not look back towards the sideline...

colbysullivan

Hall of Fame
Dec 12, 2007
Gulf Breeze, FL
I have never heard so much crap about such a minor change. Strictly from a mechanical standpoint, it will barely have an effect. As I said in the other thread, I think it's mainly a message to the refs that they have to be more deliberate. You'd think the rule was instead that they (HUNH) have to take a three-point stance and not look back towards the sideline...
I agree. The player safety issue aside, this change is not as damaging as most people think. What it will do is allow the refs to get set and actually be able to see the pre and post-snap penalties that they have been missing the last couple years. A lot of people that are against this rule seem to be in some kind of bizarro world. They said things like "More scoring is exciting" or "Up-tempo makes the game more intense". Really? 54-48 is exciting to you? Bottom line is there are 3 phases to football: offense, defense, and special teams. Offenses should not be allowed to dictate the entire game, and defenses should be allowed to sub on every play.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
The biggest upside to this rule change?

The officials will be able to get set prior to the play starting --

I imagine the refs would hate to officiate the A&M/AUBIE game --

If we want to become Arena Football - we are on our way.....

I heard one coach complaining on the radio yesterday that the defense had an advantage because they can all move at will -- where the offense can only have one man in motion at a time.....so if the HUNH is making the defenses work harder, "oh well" --

But, what he doesn't get -- is that it's gimmicking up the game.....and rules are designed to prevent that from happening.....

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
It's all propaganda. This is a good rule change, from several viewpoints, the primary one being safety (it's not just about less plays, it's about insuring a dinged up player can get off the field). But, if they can make it all about Saban, then it becomes a referendum on him.

It's kind of like countries in the Middle East bringing up Israel for every single thing that goes wrong.

CoachJeff

Suspended
Jan 21, 2014
Shelby County Alabama
People seem to think that player safety is a smokescreen. It may be. However, the reasoning I've seen behind it is bunk. "Why don't they play fewer games?" Well, because a HUNH type game is the problem, not the season per se. It's the difference between the likelihood of getting injured if you run 1 mile a day for a month vs 25 miles in one day. It's that teams run 90-100 plays in a game which can cause folks to get gassed and then get hurt. That can happen in game 1.

Superdad

1st Team
Sep 17, 2009
I've often wondered how the offensive linemen get away with that. If a d-lineman jumps offside & touches the o-lineman when they're looking toward the sideline, that's an infraction. To me, that movement by the o-line constitutes simulating the snap, or some other illegal procedure. But, as I have mentioned here before, I'm a simple man.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I love the fact that he's so much into their heads that they're attributing the whole thing to him... :)
That's the thing! The Barners complain that he "controls" college football, and if so, they are unknowingly giving him the ultimate compliment. As usual, it's just insane jealously.

im4uainva

All-SEC
Jul 3, 2011
Charlottesville, Va
This just makes me wonder...do these HUNH teams really want one of the greatest minds and recruiters of our time to give in and start running the HUNH also?
Be very, very, careful what you wish for. Especially now with CLK on the sidelines. OK, maybe Bama's defense will give up some points. I venture to say that Bama's offense will be putting up some points also. Team for team, very few will match up with Bama in this regard. I believe Bama's defense will stop other teams moreso than the opposing team will stop Bama's offense. Roll Tide.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I've often wondered how the offensive linemen get away with that. If a d-lineman jumps offside & touches the o-lineman when they're looking toward the sideline, that's an infraction. To me, that movement by the o-line constitutes simulating the snap, or some other illegal procedure. But, as I have mentioned here before, I'm a simple man.
As long as they don't get into a three point stance they can stand back up.

bama_wayne1

All-American
Jun 15, 2007
Why can't the refs just wait to blow the whistle and wind the clock until they are in position just like they do when they are moving the chains?

bama_wayne1

All-American
Jun 15, 2007
Well they are nuts!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Well here it is and we will both be dumber for it.

Crimson_Knight

Scout Team
Jun 8, 2006
It has alot to do with how the public perceives coach. Some people don't like winners. He is fighting for alot of different things. Personally I am tired of games that have an over of 120 points.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.