News Article: Does Saban run the world, or just college football?

Airborne Tider

All-American
Aug 2, 2008
Fort Benning
Why can't the refs just wait to blow the whistle and wind the clock until they are in position just like they do when they are moving the chains?
That's what they do in the NFL. The refs actually control the game so that they call the game correctly. Novel concept, I know..

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
[blue font]. Saban doesn't control the world, but the Red Elephant Club does.

Saban is the Vice Chairman in charge of world subjugation. But he has no authority over the Trilateral Commission, Global Warming, or the JFK / MLK / Bermuda Triange / Sasquatch / fake
Moon landing conspiracy group. [end blue font]

Lost in TN

1st Team
Sep 20, 2009
Collierville, TN
[blue font]. Saban doesn't control the world, but the Red Elephant Club does.

Saban is the Vice Chairman in charge of world subjugation. But he has no authority over the Trilateral Commission, Global Warming, or the JFK / MLK / Bermuda Triange / Sasquatch / fake
Moon landing conspiracy group. [end blue font]
Proof positive! If he was in control of Sasquatch, we would have a 7'9" 687lb hairy nose guard!

TUSKtimes

1st Team
Sep 18, 2008
Right here, Right now
Speed kills. Never have I seen so many, (refs) move so fast, to accommodate this stuff. To watch these refs spot balls, you would think they are emotionally vested in the outcome. As refs you can't allow the game to control you. 10 seconds may be just what it takes to get these guys back to their senses.

CrimsonProf

Hall of Fame
Dec 30, 2006
Birmingham, Alabama
Tempo and even no-huddle is fine - see the Broncos, Patriots, etc. The issue is when the refs move so damn fast they can't make a correct call - that's what is going on here, and I would give up this Malbec I'm about to enjoy for a writer who the cajones to state such...

CrimsonEyeshade

Hall of Fame
Nov 6, 2007
I have never heard so much crap about such a minor change. Strictly from a mechanical standpoint, it will barely have an effect. As I said in the other thread, I think it's mainly a message to the refs that they have to be more deliberate. You'd think the rule was instead that they (HUNH) have to take a three-point stance and not look back towards the sideline...

The Georgia fans are in full cur mode. That's easier than accepting their historic mediocrity.

Philippines

Scout Team
Feb 9, 2014
Birmingham, AL
The Georgia fans are in full cur mode. That's easier than accepting their historic mediocrity.
100% agree. As a former long-term Atlanta resident I follow their local media online. The AJC and sport talk stations like to refer to Saban as the "Dark Lord" attempting to impose his will on the lesser mortals :rolleyes:.

Last edited:

Bad Pony

All-American
Nov 14, 1999
Pelham
It was quite entertaining at work today...2 barners were almost frothing at the mouth and to the point of yelling when a co-worker tried to have a logical conversation with them about the rule change. At the end, whenever my buddy tried to say something they would loudly start chanting "Mr. 10 second rule!".

I pointed out to one of the Bama guys who was trying to reason (I know right..) with them the old saying of "Never argue with stupidity, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience every time".

One of the barners even brought up the fact that the barn player in the Arkansas game (the one who looked to the sidelines and then dropped like he had been shot) wasn't faking the injury.

CrimsonJag

All-American
Apr 9, 2001
Jacksonville, FL
A) this new proposed rule will have little, to no effect, one HUNH offenses. Rarely is a play run a mere ten seconds after a runner, etc. is down. This rule will NOT stop HUNH offenses.

B) seemed like everyone was pretty happy when "The Saban Rule" was put into place to reward lazy coaches.

Snuffy Smith

All-American
Sep 12, 2012
Huntsville, AL
A) this new proposed rule will have little, to no effect, one HUNH offenses. Rarely is a play run a mere ten seconds after a runner, etc. is down. This rule will NOT stop HUNH offenses.

B) seemed like everyone was pretty happy when "The Saban Rule" was put into place to reward lazy coaches.
It will not stop the hurry up but it will allow the defense to substitute. These HUNH coaches that keep mouthing that most of their plays are run after the 29 are either just spinning or they are stupid and missing the point. What the rule will do is allow the defense to substitute to the situation without fear of the offense lining up and running a play. The issue is not that they always DID go that fast - it is that they COULD go that fast.

mrusso

1st Team
Apr 17, 2006
Football used to be a sport where you lined up and had to physically beat your man. With the HUNH it's turned into (almost) lining up and tricking your man. Snuffy, you are correct when you say "they COULD go that fast". The Defense is usually not going to substitute against this type of offense...however if for some reason they did try to sub then the offense is going to line up quickly and try to snap the ball. This either results in an offsides penalty against the D, or catches them out of position to make the play. Is that beating your man? Is that what football is supposed to be? The pro HUNH crowd is crying about this rule change claiming it's because the defense cannot keep up. In my opinion, teams run the HUNH because the offense is really not capable of keeping up. If you're players aren't physically capable of matching up to the other team's players, then resort to trickery and deception and that becomes a non issue.

Snuffy Smith

All-American
Sep 12, 2012
Huntsville, AL
Football used to be a sport where you lined up and had to physically beat your man. With the HUNH it's turned into (almost) lining up and tricking your man. Snuffy, you are correct when you say "they COULD go that fast". The Defense is usually not going to substitute against this type of offense...however if for some reason they did try to sub then the offense is going to line up quickly and try to snap the ball. This either results in an offsides penalty against the D, or catches them out of position to make the play. Is that beating your man? Is that what football is supposed to be? The pro HUNH crowd is crying about this rule change claiming it's because the defense cannot keep up. In my opinion, teams run the HUNH because the offense is really not capable of keeping up. If you're players aren't physically capable of matching up to the other team's players, then resort to trickery and deception and that becomes a non issue.
Tony Franklin said just that on F-Baum the other day. Basically he said that the whole purpose of the HUNH is to try to level the field against superior talent

TommyMac

Hall of Fame
Apr 24, 2001
Mobile, Alabama
Seems like the entire Dawg Nation has came down with a terminal case of Butthurt since the Blackout Game.

They've always been delusional regarding their relevance in CFB and it just kills them to see Alabama so dominant. They may as well get used to it.

BigGunn

1st Team
Dec 5, 2004
Pace, Florida
The biggest upside to this rule change?

The officials will be able to get set prior to the play starting --

I imagine the refs would hate to officiate the A&M/AUBIE game --

If we want to become Arena Football - we are on our way.....

I heard one coach complaining on the radio yesterday that the defense had an advantage because they can all move at will -- where the offense can only have one man in motion at a time.....so if the HUNH is making the defenses work harder, "oh well" --

But, what he doesn't get -- is that it's gimmicking up the game.....and rules are designed to prevent that from happening.....
I have often wondered why the refs had to go hurry up. They do break into a run to accommodate the offenses sometimes leaving themselves out of position as you mention. If they would make all their adjustments at a normal pace the defenses would be able to make calls and get into their proper alignment prior to the snap, maybe even substitute.

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
From reading all the discussion here about this rule, I think it's been pretty much concluded that ten seconds isn't really going to make a whale of a lot of difference, if any.
Opposing fan bases aren't stupid, They probably realize this as well.
I think they just resent very much that we have a coach who not only wins championships on the field, but also wields a great deal of power off the field as well.
Let's face it. When Coach Saban speaks people in positions of power listen and they value his opinion.
So, to a degree, I can see where they're coming from. They truly believe that he is becoming too powerful.
In other words they're jealous lol. sip

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.