Question: Who's HUNH Offense Is The Best & Most Effective

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama
Since it's obvious theses HUNH offenses aren't going away..We might as well talk about it..Who do you think runs it most effective..I hate to give Gus's offense credit, I think his is the best, as long as he has a QB that can run it..I think Gundy is a better play caller though..Gundy's passes it more(not quite as much as June Jones)..While Gus is more reliant on the run..

CoachJeff

Suspended
Jan 21, 2014
Shelby County Alabama
Oregon. Auburn has much more talent than Oregon does.

I think Gus is probably the best offensive mind in football today. He is the most adaptable coach I've seen on that side of the ball.

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama
i'd go with gus too. it creates so many holes in the secondary when the run is working. just about any QB can hit the majority of his passes to WR's that are wide open.
Oregon. Auburn has much more talent than Oregon does.

I think Gus is probably the best offensive mind in football today. He is the most adaptable coach I've seen on that side of the ball.
Yup..I agree 100% with both y'all..When Gus's running game is on, Lord help, his offense will put up unreal #'s & it creates so many problems for defenders..His offense creates mismatches with speed & that's exactly why Coach Saban is in the process of adding mire speed on D for that specific reason..Big 350lb DT's will be a thing of the past I have a feeling..

CrimsonProf

Hall of Fame
Dec 30, 2006
Birmingham, Alabama
Since it's obvious theses HUNH offenses aren't going away..We might as well talk about it..Who do you think runs it most effective..I hate to give Gus's offense credit, I think his is the best, as long as he has a QB that can run it..I think Gundy is a better play caller though..Gundy's passes it more(not quite as much as June Jones)..While Gus is more reliant on the run..

Agreed on Gundy - and he is capable of slowing down a bit when he chooses. Fantastic offensive mind, even if he is a bit of a goob. Very glad he never took the UT job.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Art Briles, Gus, and Chad Morris are all great at their respective HUNH. All three adapt their offense to their players. They didn't get to recruit their players when they coached in high school. They had to take the hand they were given.

Look at Gus. He prefers to run a spread version of the veer. What kind of QB has he recruited at Auburn? Jeremy Johnson is a pro-style QB. Sean White is a passer. Their 2015 QB recruit is a pro-style QB, too. Look at the QB that got him into the SEC: Mitch Mustain. He wasn't a running QB.

CoachJeff

Suspended
Jan 21, 2014
Shelby County Alabama
Art Briles, Gus, and Chad Morris are all great at their respective HUNH. All three adapt their offense to their players. They didn't get to recruit their players when they coached in high school. They had to take the hand they were given.

Look at Gus. He prefers to run a spread version of the veer. What kind of QB has he recruited at Auburn? Jeremy Johnson is a pro-style QB. Sean White is a passer. Their 2015 QB recruit is a pro-style QB, too. Look at the QB that got him into the SEC: Mitch Mustain. He wasn't a running QB.
Gus's work with Chris Todd has been his most impressive to date.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
His preference is a passing offense, but, as you say, he's adapted well to his material. However, in HS, at Springdale, he was accused by other HS coaches of unethically recruiting to Springdale...

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama
I didn't know that tid bit Earle about Gus, that could be a good topic to talk about as well, how big of a problem is that in Alabama high school football..When I was in high school at Walter Wellborn, I remember hearing about Oxford doing that, it caused a big fuss & then I never heard anything being done about it..

It happened when Coach Herring won a couple State Championships at Oxford, he left Oxford for a school in Mississippi(if I remember right), and nothing came of it, as far as I know..

His preference is a passing offense, but, as you say, he's adapted well to his material. However, in HS, at Springdale, he was accused by other HS coaches of unethically recruiting to Springdale...

Last edited:

tidefanbeezer

All-American
Sep 25, 2006
Atlanta, GA
It's hard to say, since they all have different wrinkles.

In terms of sheer speed, I don't know if any team players faster than Baylor (though that could just be my perception of the Bears). It feels like they run about 100 plays per half. They also rack up an obscene amount of points.

Utilizing the running game with the HUNH goes to the Barn. Incredibly effective running the ball in hurry-up mode.

Oregon does is pretty solid all around. Their execution is pretty good (in terms of getting guys to in position and plays called quickly), which is likely a function of the amount of time they've been running that style offense.

I don't know that I could pick just one. The Barn and Oregon have had pretty good results (Auburn - quality victories; Oregon - quantity of victories), so I'd probably pick one of those.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football

Gus prefers a pass first type HUNH spread. He's even admitted to as much. He's planning on passing more next season. However, with Nick Marshall he couldn't do that. He had to run an offense to his strengths and one of them isn't passing. As the season went on and he became more comfortable Gus opened it up a bit. But this upcoming season expect to see more passing in Auburn's offense. Which is fine by me.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I wondered if Gus' offense required a freak like Cam to run it - and then we saw Nick run it this year. I have to give the edge to Gus after this season. Their losses and near losses in 2013 can be laid at the feet of a defense that was horrible for the second season in a row.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Gus prefers a pass first type HUNH spread. He's even admitted to as much. He's planning on passing more next season. However, with Nick Marshall he couldn't do that. He had to run an offense to his strengths and one of them isn't passing. As the season went on and he became more comfortable Gus opened it up a bit. But this upcoming season expect to see more passing in Auburn's offense. Which is fine by me.
I've posted this before, but CGM was only Co-OC at Tulsa, in charge of the passing game. When the HC was asked about that arrangement, he said that it was necessary because Gus would "sling it all over the field" every play, if he had sole control of the offense. Obviously, he's progressed past that...

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
I've posted this before, but CGM was only Co-OC at Tulsa, in charge of the passing game. When the HC was asked about that arrangement, he said that it was necessary because Gus would "sling it all over the field" every play, if he had sole control of the offense. Obviously, he's progressed past that...
And he would've have last season if he could. As soon as he gets a qb behind center who can pass he will. No doubt he's smart enough to adapt his scheme to his personnel. I watched his Springdale teams play in Shreveport several times and it was a passing air raid. They ran to give the qb's arm a rest.

It's no coincidence he's recruiting pro style qb's who can sling the ball. As soon as he's able he'll return to that air raid type offense.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.