Bama fans (student section) may leave early but at least they show up!!! (Article)

spray004

Scout Team
Apr 20, 2007
Well obviously the SEC (or most schools in SEC) take football more serious than other conferences. To keep students filling the stands you need demand. Having less seats available than on campus students is a must. When I was a freshman I couldn't get season tickets I had to buy off other students. When I was in school a whole season was $35 total for football tickets. So for $5 a game I could get in which is great for students but on the flip side if I missed a game I was only out $5. If a non student fan misses a game they are out whatever the face value of the ticket is so they have more skin in the game. I don't know what student ticket prices are now days but I would say raising the pricing, if they are super cheap, might give them more incentive to at least go even though we really don't have that problem with having less than 4% going unused.

TheRealPokeChop

Hall of Fame
Jul 7, 2010
Hueytown, Al
In many ways sports are falling victim to their own success. It's far more convenient and cheap to watch from home even if you live in campus. You can pretty much find any college game on TV, in hd no less, and drink and eat to your hearts content without sitting on a metal bleacher or a hard plastic seat smaller than most fans behinds. It's a trend and as long as tv contracts and coverage improve all sports will suffer in attendance and it will likely get worse.

Go Bama

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
16outa17essee
Try her now.
That did the trick! Thanks.

I think the public is over saturated with sports. Most of the country doesn't support college football like we do in the South. The Oklahoma stats were surprising, but no surprise at all that Arizona students don't care to watch Oregon blow their team out. I suspect that's what most students at Arizona thought would happen.

I went to one game this year and it was expensive ... tickets, hotel, food, gas, etc. That's about all I can afford in this poor economy and my income is better than most. I enjoyed the game immensely, but it's easy to stay home and watch from the Lazy Boy and chat on Tidefans. However, I can't imagine being a student and not attending as many games as possible. When I was a student, I went to all home games and at least one away game each year.

Just a sign of the times IMO.

AlexD

1st Team
Jun 19, 2009
I think TV is the reason fans do not show up or leave a blow out early so they can go watch another bigger game. Its not just students and its not just football. I understand not wanting to deal with traffic and missing most other games that day because the stadium does a bad job of putting current scores up. The students are in the stadium hours early so I think it would really help if they would put a game on the big screens.

I am in my last year at Bama and I will admit I missed two home games this year but it was because I was a defensive intern for another University and I was at those games. Other than watching the team I coach at I would not miss a Bama game home or away if I could go but thats just me.

bamachile

Hall of Fame
Jul 27, 2007
Oakdale, Louisiana
New generation, guys. I don't have the answers you may be looking for, but I'm no longer surprised to find out that the current generation is abandoning past trends or traditions in any field - this generation seems more dissatisfied with status quo and more apt to expect change than any since the Baby Boomers (double-edged sword, but that's another discussion). Considering the financial impact, it's certainly something I would want analyzed if I were responsible for the bottom line at any university with an athletic program, but don't be too surprised when the analysis requires changing some area or aspect of the game experience that you consider inviolable.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
I am in my last year at Bama and I will admit I missed two home games this year but it was because I was a defensive intern for another University and I was at those games. Other than watching the team I coach at I would not miss a Bama game home or away if I could go but thats just me.
If you don't mind my asking, what school do you intern for? How can you be a student here and be an intern there? And why didn't you have to go to all their games?

AlexD

1st Team
Jun 19, 2009
If you don't mind my asking, what school do you intern for? How can you be a student here and be an intern there? And why didn't you have to go to all their games?
Samford, I just had to use a lot of gas to drive back from back and forth from T-town to Bham and back and study when ever I could. I couldn't be on the field during games because of NCAA rules or travel with the team.

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama
I don't understand this as an excuse, it's just 3 hours, and college football is my way to escape from all the problems I face in the crazy world..If this how students truly feel here at Bama as well, I hope the school sell a those tickets to Bama Fans, that want to be there, and stay before, during, and after the game supporting the football team..

"Thomas Doochin, University of North Carolina: "People would rather stay at fraternity houses with unlimited food, booze and a big-screen TV than make the trek to the stadium... Phone service is terrible during games and it's hard to stay in touch with the world for the three hours you're in the stadium."

BamaDude06

1st Team
Sep 15, 2006
They legally cannot do that do to copyright laws.
All of the football conferences have contracts with ESPN. They could easily create a "Gameday" channel that could be broadcast in stadiums live that featured highlights, go from game to game if there is a close/exciting finish/OT etc. similar to GoalLine does. What they provide now is pathetic. Even this past season I was at a game where they were showing games as being in the 2nd/3rd quarter on the ribbon boards but a quick check of my phone showed they were already over. The way we watch football is changing and schools are going to have to change or die off.

It is just my opinion, but I believe we are seeing the beginning of the end for big time college sports.
College athletics is bigger than they have ever been and only getting bigger. People not showing up as much does not necessarily mean revenue for schools is smaller, as TV contracts have exploded in the past decade.

I don't understand this as an excuse, it's just 3 hours, and college football is my way to escape from all the problems I face in the crazy world..If this how students truly feel here at Bama as well, I hope the school sell a those tickets to Bama Fans, that want to be there, and stay before, during, and after the game supporting the football team..

"Thomas Doochin, University of North Carolina: "People would rather stay at fraternity houses with unlimited food, booze and a big-screen TV than make the trek to the stadium... Phone service is terrible during games and it's hard to stay in touch with the world for the three hours you're in the stadium."
Yeah you can take away those student tickets, but those will also be the people you are trying to get to buy full price seats 20-30 years down the road (which is the point of the article). That's why going forward stadium upgrades through out the NCAA will largely be centered around fan amenities/upgrades and not about having the most seats. Downsizing stadium capacity at many schools is coming. And that doesn't have to be a bad thing. Heck, if Tennessee wasn't dead set on having the largest SEC stadium they could return their seat size to normal. It would increase their attendance percentage and make for a more comfortable atmosphere for those at the game.

JohnS

BamaNation Citizen
Oct 7, 2013
It is interesting that stadiums are adding free wifi as part of the gameday experience. (since cell service is often terrible)

tweet _______@ _______ and we might put your tweet up on the screen!

I could care less about something so trivial, but I graduated college 4 years ago and feel like father time.

I assume people get excited by being able to Facebook/twitter at the game. A article written this past fall even mentioned students dissatisfaction with not being able to get on their social media for a full 3 hours.. It is good for the school that one can not only cheer at the game but cheer online at the same time. Just another way things are changing.

It will be interesting to see how it all settle in the next few decades.

50 inch tv's are about $500 these days? They used to be in the thousands... While many tickets/hotels/travel cost continue to rise.

I might miss the first few minutes of the occasional 3rd quarter because of beer and ribs... But I am always in my season ticket seats when the band plays the final song as the clock reads 00:00.

Last edited:

Ldlane

Hall of Fame
Nov 26, 2002
Arizona I understand, OU I don't. Arizona is a "basketball" school more than a football school. I love going to the NAU games inside the Skydome because the weather is so unpredictable out here.

CrimsonProf

Hall of Fame
Dec 30, 2006
Birmingham, Alabama
The problem with a school like UNC is that they simply aren't a traditional football school. Let's say you're a huge fan of Alabama or Auburn, but you've got the grades to get into UNC. Are you going to attend every UNC home game? Maybe if you've got a date or it's part of your responsibilities with a fraternity or something. But otherwise - you're going to stay home and watch UA/LSU or AU/UGA. That's just the nature of the beast.

I know if I had gotten into grad school at Notre Dame, I would have gone to a lot of games, but I would have also stayed home to watch the Tide, too.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.