Saban confirms he’s partner in Mercedes dealership

CoachJeff

Suspended
Jan 21, 2014
Shelby County Alabama
3 Things.

"The Alabama Motor Vehicle Franchise Act"? :rolleyes:

I wonder if this will impact his Ford Truck ads.

Saban will end up with 60-80 million bucks in salary in his career. I wouldn't invest a penny in a car dealership if I had that much money. It'd be insured somewhere nice and safe. I don't need to grow it.

AUTigers001

1st Team
Feb 3, 2010
I think he is quoted (somewhere - maybe even in this article... didn't read it) as saying he has always wanted a dealership -- or maybe something along those lines. I applaud him for making it happen. I don't think it will, in any way, conflict with Alabama football. I think he invested in it and has a partnership with a someone he trusts to turn his investment into a worthy one. Any dealership with his name associated with it is going to make money...

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
3 Things.

"The Alabama Motor Vehicle Franchise Act"? :rolleyes:

I wonder if this will impact his Ford Truck ads.

Saban will end up with 60-80 million bucks in salary in his career. I wouldn't invest a penny in a car dealership if I had that much money. It'd be insured somewhere nice and safe. I don't need to grow it.
I would imagine that the Ford trucks ads will continue. MB doesn't make trucks here, nor, AFAIK, import them. The ones I've seen in Europe are not pickups. I don't think that the Ford dealers will care. So far as investment is concerned, I look for Saban to continue to invest. I don't think cars could possibly turn out worse for him than real estate has. As for the Act, it really only requires that 60 days notice be given and that the manufacturer not be "unreasonable" in expansion. I would think that Crown will be leaning heavily on proximity and MB will be pointing to market share and the unit volume of Crown. One thing to keep in mind is that the Act was passed by an overwhelmingly Democratic legislature. The Alabama Supreme Court is now solidly Republican and has shown to be pro-business in its rulings, for the large part. I doubt that they'll overrule MB's business judgment and decide the expansion is "unreasonable." That said, there's plenty of room for them to rule the other way...

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas
Concerning Irondale, don't know what your impression is, but there's quite a bit of diversity there. There's a lot of new commercial redevelopment and Irondale litterally bumps up against Mountain Brook and many from there come over to shop at Irondale.
Yep.............you go from Mountain Brook to the place some of us poor folk lived. Have not been there, since late 70s.

Don't recall many Mountain Brook folks wandering over, but we are talking about a very long time ago.

RobK

All-SEC
Aug 27, 2004
Holts Summit, MO
knodell.blog-city.com
I would imagine that the Ford trucks ads will continue. MB doesn't make trucks here, nor, AFAIK, import them. The ones I've seen in Europe are not pickups. I don't think that the Ford dealers will care. So far as investment is concerned, I look for Saban to continue to invest. I don't think cars could possibly turn out worse for him than real estate has. As for the Act, it really only requires that 60 days notice be given and that the manufacturer not be "unreasonable" in expansion. I would think that Crown will be leaning heavily on proximity and MB will be pointing to market share and the unit volume of Crown. One thing to keep in mind is that the Act was passed by an overwhelmingly Democratic legislature. The Alabama Supreme Court is now solidly Republican and has shown to be pro-business in its rulings, for the large part. I doubt that they'll overrule MB's business judgment and decide the expansion is "unreasonable." That said, there's plenty of room for them to rule the other way...
I totally agree. And the Ford ads are not unlike a NASCAR driver who may drive/promote one make of car while owning dealerships for other makes (I'm thinking Darrell Waltrip Honda and Mark Martin Kia). MB doesn't market like other car companies do. Their dealerships aren't named for people; their ads are all produced nationally and don't involve celebrity endorsements. Michael Jordan owned a high-end steakhouse while still doing McDonalds ads.

Bama Whiz

Jan 28, 2014
If this is national news...The Crimson Tide must be on top of college football. Just think, if this was Gus. No one would care.

Mamacalled

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2000
Pelham, Al
So he's moving from Baton Rouge to Tuscaloosa?! Wonderful!
I'm sure he'll run the dealership well. I just hope his dealership in Baton Rouge can survive his leaving to take on this start up. Good post. Thanks
Mr Hendrick has over one hundred dealerships and is very successful. Don't think he spends much time at all of them.
Also, Crown just recently sold their Nissan dealership.

Last edited:

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
Mr Hendrick has over one hundred dealerships and is very successful. Don't think he spends much time at all of them.
Also, Crown just recently sold their Nissan dealership.
That's all well and good and I wish Coach Saban the best, without question. But he just entered the most risky business venture he'll ever enter.
I just hope he's invested his money with a "what the heck" attitude, because, chances are, the dealership's gonna lose it's butt.
It's really none of my business, I just care about him.
sip

TheAccountant

All-SEC
Mar 22, 2011
Birmingham
That's all well and good and I wish Coach Saban the best, without question. But he just entered the most risky business venture he'll ever enter.
I just hope he's invested his money with a "what the heck" attitude, because, chances are, the dealership's gonna lose it's butt.
It's really none of my business, I just care about him.
sip
Why do you continue to ignore who Saban's partner is and his vast and successful industry experience? Fairly certain that guy will oversee operations and knows how to hire the right people.

Could the potential dealership fail? Sure, just like every new business can. But I know Saban is not going to be running this alone and his partner is about as qualified as you can get. I doubt either is ponying up their cash with a "what the heck" attitude.

Other than being a new dealership, how does this particular situation compare to the failed ones you claim to have experience with?

Last edited:

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
Why do you continue to ignore who Saban's partner is and his vast and successful industry experience? Fairly certain that guy will oversee operations and knows how to hire the right people.

Could the potential dealership fail? Sure, just like every new business can. But I know Saban is not going to be running this alone and his partner is about as qualified as you can get. I doubt either is ponying up their cash with a "what the heck" attitude.

Other than being a new dealership, how does this particular situation compare to the failed ones you claim to have experience with?
I have several very successful clients who have become tremendously successful in the auto business.
They are on top of every daily operation at their dealership. A couple have invested in other dealerships elsewhere, and hired, "the right people" to run them. They sold out at a loss within a couple of years to protect their finances.
I've also known automotive clients who were very successful bankers, attorney's etc, had tons of money and decided that they'd buy a dealership for themselves with the same philosophy of hiring the right people to run it. None of them have ever made it.
Saban's partner obviously knows what he's doing. His track record proves it, and I wish the dealership and Coach S. all the best. I hope it makes a gazillion bucks.
The only thing is---Hiring the "right people" in the automotive industry isn't an easy thing to do. They're not running around all over the place.
I guess I'm being selfish to a degree. I just don't want Coach to ever let outside clutter take any of his focus away from football. Coach Bryant let it happen for awhile had some pretty bad years by Bama standards.
But again--I wish Coach nothing but the best. I just know the auto business is anything but guaranteed, and anyone on this board who is involved in it will tell you the same thing.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I have several very successful clients who have become tremendously successful in the auto business.
They are on top of every daily operation at their dealership. A couple have invested in other dealerships elsewhere, and hired, "the right people" to run them. They sold out at a loss within a couple of years to protect their finances.
I've also known automotive clients who were very successful bankers, attorney's etc, had tons of money and decided that they'd buy a dealership for themselves with the same philosophy of hiring the right people to run it. None of them have ever made it.
Saban's partner obviously knows what he's doing. His track record proves it, and I wish the dealership and Coach S. all the best. I hope it makes a gazillion bucks.
The only thing is---Hiring the "right people" in the automotive industry isn't an easy thing to do. They're not running around all over the place.
I guess I'm being selfish to a degree. I just don't want Coach to ever let outside clutter take any of his focus away from football. Coach Bryant let it happen for awhile had some pretty bad years by Bama standards.
But again--I wish Coach nothing but the best. I just know the auto business is anything but guaranteed, and anyone on this board who is involved in it will tell you the same thing.
He's had some other ventures go south in a big way. It doesn't seem to have affected his coaching that much...

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
i wish there was some way to make mark richt stop with the ford truck commercials

RedStar

Hall of Fame
Jan 28, 2005
The Shoals, AL
I would imagine that the Ford trucks ads will continue. MB doesn't make trucks here, nor, AFAIK, import them. The ones I've seen in Europe are not pickups. I don't think that the Ford dealers will care.
Yeah, most car companies could care less about stuff like that. It's why University Auto is allowed to own University Hyundai, University Kia, University Dodge, Ram, University Chrysler, University Jeep, University Chevrolet, University Buick and University GMC.

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
Yeah, most car companies could care less about stuff like that. It's why University Auto is allowed to own University Hyundai, University Kia, University Dodge, Ram, University Chrysler, University Jeep, University Chevrolet, University Buick and University GMC.
Hey Red, I'll bet you two dollars and a bucket 'o chicken that Ford raises the roof about this if Coach Saban goes on camera and promotes Mercedes.
Unless I'm horribly mistaken, I believe a good part of any SEC coaches salary comes in the form of endorsement money from Golden Flake, Coke, and Ford Trucks, which the coaches are required to endorse. I'll be real surprised if there isn't some form of exclusivity clause in the agreement.
I think Ford will say something like, "We can't keep you from being a partner--That's your business. But we can say, "Nick don't promote Ford in one commercial and then turn around and promote Mercedes in another, because it's a conflict of interest".
It'll be interesting to see.
sip

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Hey Red, I'll bet you two dollars and a bucket 'o chicken that Ford raises the roof about this if Coach Saban goes on camera and promotes Mercedes.
Unless I'm horribly mistaken, I believe a good part of any SEC coaches salary comes in the form of endorsement money from Golden Flake, Coke, and Ford Trucks, which the coaches are required to endorse. I'll be real surprised if there isn't some form of exclusivity clause in the agreement.
I think Ford will say something like, "We can't keep you from being a partner--That's your business. But we can say, "Nick don't promote Ford in one commercial and then turn around and promote Mercedes in another, because it's a conflict of interest".
It'll be interesting to see.
sip
Does Mercedes make a truck for the retail consumer?

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.