Derrick Thomas "A Football Life".

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
I've watched this story about five times on the NFL Network and watched it again yesterday evening. Every time I watch it I begin thinking the same thing. "Man what I'd give to have a pass rusher at Bama like that again." Thomas was simply a phenom when it come to rushing the passer and getting pressure. I guess you don't realize how great he was until you look back. The dude was a beast and terror for opposing offensive lines.

I'd love for one of our young guys to just be a shadow of what Thomas was while at Bama.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
I've watched this story about five times on the NFL Network and watched it again yesterday evening. Every time I watch it I begin thinking the same thing. "Man what I'd give to have a pass rusher at Bama like that again." Thomas was simply a phenom when it come to rushing the passer and getting pressure. I guess you don't realize how great he was until you look back. The dude was a beast and terror for opposing offensive lines.

I'd love for one of our young guys to just be a shadow of what Thomas was while at Bama.
When they showed his balance coming around the tackles -- he was sometimes almost at a 45 degree angle -- you couldn't take out his legs...

37bamagreats55

All-American
Apr 1, 2003
Gardendale, AL
The unbelievable thing is to think back - we had Cornelius Bennett and DT on the same team!!! Of course, Biscuit left 'Bama a little before DT - but to have those two talents on the same team and back-to-back is mind boggling.

Been 30 years since that duo. And as good as some of our other linebackers have been ('Meco, McClain, Hightower, C.J.), none of them displayed the type of destructiveness as DT and Biscuit.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
The unbelievable thing is to think back - we had Cornelius Bennett and DT on the same team!!! Of course, Biscuit left 'Bama a little before DT - but to have those two talents on the same team and back-to-back is mind boggling.

Been 30 years since that duo. And as good as some of our other linebackers have been ('Meco, McClain, Hightower, C.J.), none of them displayed the type of destructiveness as DT and Biscuit.
Nope. Not even close and that's what makes then so great. Demeco, McClain, Hightower and CJ were excellent players. But DT and CB were just on a different level. Destructive is a good word.

Con

Hall of Fame
Dec 19, 2006
Northern Hemisphere
I remember when DT was a freshman, Bennett was nursing a hamstring injury when we played Ohio St. in the kickoff classic and DT made a late pass interference penalty to keep Ohio St. alive with a chance to win the game (Maybe Selma can check my memory on that). I was thinking, boy I wish Bennett would be in the game now. Derrick Thomas turned out pretty good though didn't he?

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Charleston, South Carolina
Every end pass rusher we have ought to look at that video...and some who just left like AH to realize what rushing the passer really means. None of this hit the tackle and just hold on...:)

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
I heard the game on the radio; I did not see it on TV. Although I recall when the game was played and the final score, some of the details you mentioned were a little vague to my recollection. I recall school opened late that week because we had a new building going up and engineering wouldn't sign off on the safety of the building for school attendance. I also remember the controversy over the team going to Willie Ryles's funeral.

When all else fails, I do research.

I remember when DT was a freshman, Bennett was nursing a hamstring injury when we played Ohio St. in the kickoff classic and DT made a late pass interference penalty to keep Ohio St. alive with a chance to win the game (Maybe Selma can check my memory on that). I was thinking, boy I wish Bennett would be in the game now. Derrick Thomas turned out pretty good though didn't he?

After forcing Ohio State to punt, Shula led a drive that ran more than six minutes off the clock with Tiffin hitting a field goal from 28 yards with 1:02 to play as Alabama took a 16-10 lead. Ohio State last hopes ended without a score at the Crimson Tide's 18-yard line even after they got 2 extra plays with no time left when Alabama's LB Derrick Thomas was called for pass interference on successive plays.

So I'd say your memory is pretty good regarding that. I did remember that Bennett didn't play.

Con

Hall of Fame
Dec 19, 2006
Northern Hemisphere
I heard the game on the radio; I did not see it on TV. Although I recall when the game was played and the final score, some of the details you mentioned were a little vague to my recollection. I recall school opened late that week because we had a new building going up and engineering wouldn't sign off on the safety of the building for school attendance. I also remember the controversy over the team going to Willie Ryles's funeral.

When all else fails, I do research.

After forcing Ohio State to punt, Shula led a drive that ran more than six minutes off the clock with Tiffin hitting a field goal from 28 yards with 1:02 to play as Alabama took a 16-10 lead. Ohio State last hopes ended without a score at the Crimson Tide's 18-yard line even after they got 2 extra plays with no time left when Alabama's LB Derrick Thomas was called for pass interference on successive plays.

So I'd say your memory is pretty good regarding that. I did remember that Bennett didn't play.
I appreciate it Selma. I don't think 60 minutes will be calling me up for an interview anytime soon about my memory though.

CnW

1st Team
Oct 13, 1999
I've watched "A Football Life" and really enjoyed it. I wish the players would take the tip about how Derrick hit the ball carrier in a certain spot on the wrist to cause the ball to come loose.

GreatMarch

All-SEC
Dec 10, 2010
Birmingham, AL
Both penalties on DT came against Chris Carter. I remember watching the game and thinking what are we doing putting that Freshman LB outside on an All American WR? If I am not mistaken the second call was a bad call too. Little did we know what DT would become. I still say the best game ever played by a defensive player was his game in 88 against Penn State. He literally beat them by himself that day because their offense was so scared of him. Penn State did hit one long pass for a possible game winning TD but DT was standing back about 80 yards with the Penn State Oline waving his hands to come back as the referee was calling holding. A TE, Left Tackle and Running Back all tackled him as he was running past them to the QB.

dtgreg

All-American
Jul 24, 2000
Tuscaloosa
www.electricmonkeywrench.com
Both penalties on DT came against Chris Carter. I remember watching the game and thinking what are we doing putting that Freshman LB outside on an All American WR? If I am not mistaken the second call was a bad call too. Little did we know what DT would become. I still say the best game ever played by a defensive player was his game in 88 against Penn State. He literally beat them by himself that day because their offense was so scared of him. Penn State did hit one long pass for a possible game winning TD but DT was standing back about 80 yards with the Penn State Oline waving his hands to come back as the referee was calling holding. A TE, Left Tackle and Running Back all tackled him as he was running past them to the QB.
^^^^ THIS!!

I was SO glad DT held on those plays and SO ANGRY at the coaching staff for allowing that mis-match on TWO consecutive plays!! He doesn't hold, they win. Put in the dime package already fer chrissakes!!!

TrampLineman

Hall of Fame
Jul 21, 2010
Alabama
I saw this during a commercial during the combine and DVR'd it last night and was very glad I did. Great story on DT. I hate that people still hold the 7 kids with 5 moms deal, because the dude had a great heart. These primadonnas could learn a thing or two from him and how he treated kids and he didn't need the cameras in his face and his name in the news to do it. Now granted he might have helped a little too much but when you are young you generally don't think about your "future".

If you haven't watched this you need to!

imauafan

All-American
Mar 3, 2004
Huntsville, AL
A case could be made for DT being the greatest defensive player in the history of college football. At least the greatest in the modern era. He doesn't get the recognition he deserves because he played on some weak Bama teams his last couple of years and Chris Spielman (Ohio State) had been (over)hyped-up his entire career.

imauafan

All-American
Mar 3, 2004
Huntsville, AL
Nope. Not even close and that's what makes then so great. Demeco, McClain, Hightower and CJ were excellent players. But DT and CB were just on a different level. Destructive is a good word.
Agree 100%. I'm a big fan of Demeco and CJ especially but neither of those guys came close to doing what CB and DT did. If I'm not mistake (Help me Selma!) DT's first play (or soon after he got into his first game) he blocked a punt and returned it for a TD against Georgia Tech. He was NFL ready right out of high school and would have been an all-american at several positions. DT was a bit more raw and needed some polishing but his junior and senior years were unbelievable.

TommyMac

Hall of Fame
Apr 24, 2001
Mobile, Alabama
My 1st memory of DT was the Vandy game of 85 in Nashville. Biscuit was out and DT was taking his place, he had been getting some favorable comparasions to Biscuit, but I was skeptical. Vandy's 1st offensive play was a run up the and they had a nice hole and looked like it would go for 10-12 yards anyway. Then out of nowhere a white clad bolt wearing a Crimson #55 flashed across the screen and blew the RB up. I immediately thought, "Hmm, maybe this kid does compare to Biscuit."

BTW, re the earlier post about him covering Chris Carter.....I have no doubts that DT could outrun CC or probably anyone else on that OSU squad.

cr1mson4l1fe

Suspended
Mar 4, 2014
DDT was, and still is the best Lb to ever play at AlabaMA. Yes I said it. He dominated the game when he played it, often turning the game around or sealing the win in dramatic fashion. I could name countless plays , but the one that I remember the most , is the last second fg block with Penn state. It was a back and forth game, and their Rb (blair thomas!?!?)had ran them all the way down the field inside the 10 , with little time on the clock. A fg would win it, and their kicker was one of the best in the country. I was in tears and doing pushups in the floor i was so Mad.. The joy I felt when ddt blocked that kick , was priceless.. The fact they double teamed him and HE STILL blocked that kick gives me chills to this day.. :) Rage in peace DDT! He not only deserves to be in the hall of fame, but as one of the best to ever Play the game.

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.