Alabama Offers Scholarship to 15 RBs Thus Far in 2015 Recruiting Cycle

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Alabama has one RB commit for the 2015 class so far (Desherrius Flowers) and has offered 14 more according to 247Sports.

When these guys get to campus, Alabama's RB depth chart will look like the below:

Senior
TJ Yeldon
Kenyan Drake

Junior
Derrick Henry
Altee Tenpenny

RS Sophomore
Tyren Jones

Sophomore (or RS Freshman)
Bo

The number of 15 is higher than any year that 247 has on record. Clearly, Saban and Kiffin are putting an emphasis on RBs.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
I just saw Flowers junior year highlights and we are getting an explosive RB. He hits the hole fast and hard and is a tough runner. I see why we offered him early. Do you think we take 2 more in this class?

jabcmb

All-American
Feb 1, 2006
Birmingham, AL
Alabama has one RB commit for the 2015 class so far (Desherrius Flowers) and has offered 14 more according to 247Sports.

When these guys get to campus, Alabama's RB depth chart will look like the below:

Senior
TJ Yeldon
Kenyan Drake

Junior
Derrick Henry
Altee Tenpenny

RS Sophomore
Tyren Jones

Sophomore (or RS Freshman)
Bo

The number of 15 is higher than any year that 247 has on record. Clearly, Saban and Kiffin are putting an emphasis on RBs.
I hope you are right and the depth chart does look that good in two years. That would mean no more attrition and no early NFL'ers.

jps1983

Hall of Fame
Aug 30, 2006
I hope you are right and the depth chart does look that good in two years. That would mean no more attrition and no early NFL'ers.
TJ should be going pro. Running backs have very short shelf lives in the NFL. They need to get to that second contract before their body wears down too much.

imaloyalone

Super Moderator
Jan 9, 2005
Northport, AL
If you look back to USC, Kiffen utilized two RB's with totally different body makeup and skill sets - guys named White and Bush. Right now, we generally recruit only one type of RB most years - guys closer to the skill set of White. I think this would serve as a sign that RB will feature two different kinds of guys now.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
If you look back to USC, Kiffen utilized two RB's with totally different body makeup and skill sets - guys named White and Bush. Right now, we generally recruit only one type of RB most years - guys closer to the skill set of White. I think this would serve as a sign that RB will feature two different kinds of guys now.
The smaller RB's during the Saban era has not worked out and I don't see us changing that unless someone of Bush's skill set is out there. Terry Grant played a lot in Saban's first year but did nothing the next year. Dee Hart was a 5* but did not get many touches. Give me the 210 - 240 lb back that runs like the wind and I will be happy.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
The smaller RB's during the Saban era has not worked out and I don't see us changing that unless someone of Bush's skill set is out there. Terry Grant played a lot in Saban's first year but did nothing the next year. Dee Hart was a 5* but did not get many touches. Give me the 210 - 240 lb back that runs like the wind and I will be happy.
Dee showed plenty of potential in Alabama's system during the 2011 A-Day game. Corey Grant left before he had a chance to make an impact. Kamara transferred because he couldn't stay out of trouble.

Those are the only 3 smaller RBs Saban has signed at Bama.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
It is hard to equate schematic fit when both those guys got dinged up and ended up not panning out.

mittman

All-American
Jun 19, 2009
I wonder how may of the 15 we would take a commit on. I don't know but I suspect this to be a lot of recruits wanting to have an Alabama offer on their resume to boost their chances of landing somewhere.

Braveheart

All-SEC
Feb 12, 2006
Dee Hart also blew out his knee twice. We'll probably never know what actual potential he had. All I know is, in the Army AA game (I think that's right) he looked really good. Not the biggest guy but fast and elusive.

Hard to retain that speed with a bum knee.

TrampLineman

Hall of Fame
Jul 21, 2010
Alabama
Just when it seemed Dee was turning the corner and was showing out on Punt Returns he blew his knee the 2nd time and that was it. I think we need that "change of pace" back, at least one on the roster. Kind of like Yeldon and Henry then throw in Drake on his speed and it kills most defenses. Of course Drake has gotten big himself but it still helps.

I think if Bo qualifies we take 2 RB's. If not, we take 3 in this class. I still think it will be Flowers and Kerryon Johnson even though I think Kerryon might make the move to WR or the slot. Then we still have his teammate Malik Miller the year after next as well who is our typical RB we like unless he outgrows the position (he is already about 6' 220lbs as a Sophomore this year). I think there is another in state kid I'm forgetting too, might be the kid from Leeds Tre Nation.

runtheoption22

News|BB|FB|REC Moderator
Staff member
Nov 10, 2003
Cleveland
It's hard to imagine Robinson not being in this class. I think we take Flowers, Robinson, plus one more.

Kerryon will play safety, if he signs with Bama, IMO....

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
15 outstanding offers sounds like a lot, even for a position of clear need.

Are these committable offers, or more expressions of serious interest, with contingencies attached before we would accept a commitment?

BigEasyTider

FB | REC Moderator
Nov 27, 2007
15 outstanding offers sounds like a lot, even for a position of clear need.

Are these committable offers, or more expressions of serious interest, with contingencies attached before we would accept a commitment?
It's really not as many as you think, and nearly all of these are not committable offers. Barring a small percentage of exceptions, nearly every "offer" we have out there right now is really just an expression of interest moving forward.

BigEasyTider

FB | REC Moderator
Nov 27, 2007
It's hard to imagine Robinson not being in this class. I think we take Flowers, Robinson, plus one more.
I think that's generally right, but I will add that I believe the "one more" will not be a true tailback-only prospect, but will instead be more of a multi-dimensional type.

I'm thinking either a big bruiser-type like a Fowler, who could end up at H-back and play fullback when needed, or a shifty guy who could just as easily end up in the slot or in the defensive backfield (similar to prior signings in Grant and Kamara).

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.