Alabama Files Breach of Contract Suit Against Mike Groh

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I'm not sure why Groh's contract with Alabama is an issue for the Chicago Bears. They offered the job. Groh accepted. Unless they (Groh and the Bears) had an agreement on the issue otherwise, I see this as a Groh problem, not a Bears problem.

Plus, even if Groh and the Bears did have an agreement, and the Bears didn't pay for whatever reason, that's irrelevant as regards Alabama's claim on Groh. He still owes Alabama the money. He might have a claim against the Bears for breaching their agreement. But even if that's the case, it's between Groh and the Bears, not Alabama and the Bears.

What am I missing? Why do you see Groh's contract with Alabama as the Bears' responsibility?
You are correct...

AgentAntiOrange

1st Team
Dec 30, 2009
Norman, OK
I'm not sure why Groh's contract with Alabama is an issue for the Chicago Bears. They offered the job. Groh accepted. Unless they (Groh and the Bears) had an agreement on the issue otherwise, I see this as a Groh problem, not a Bears problem.

Plus, even if Groh and the Bears did have an agreement, and the Bears didn't pay for whatever reason, that's irrelevant as regards Alabama's claim on Groh. He still owes Alabama the money. He might have a claim against the Bears for breaching their agreement. But even if that's the case, it's between Groh and the Bears, not Alabama and the Bears.

What am I missing? Why do you see Groh's contract with Alabama as the Bears' responsibility?
It's not that it's the Bears responsibility. It's that it's pretty typical/standard for a coach to have it put into his contract with his new employer that they cover any buyout penalties from his previous employer. Why this wasn't in the contract with the Bears is what we're questioning here. Either he and his agent made a major, major, goof or there's some other reason he hasn't paid.

JDCrimson

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2006
What's more, the Tuscaloosa News states that CNS elected not to waive the liquidated damages clause. He may not have elected to waive it when he learned that Groh was leaving and going to the Bears thinking full well that Groh would be reimbursed for the amount owed. After the frustration of not collecting the amount owed in a timely manner, he decided to still not waive the clause. I expect ultimately the amount will be settled for an undisclosed sum. But really, it should not have come down to this. Groh has the money to pay this but even moreso its common in the business for the new employer to handle these expenses. Groh may in fact be caught in the middle here - may not who knows. But this sort of stuff is basic contract elements that should be addressed in a coach's contract. Somebody dropped the ball somewhere.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
What's more, the Tuscaloosa News states that CNS elected not to waive the liquidated damages clause. He may not have elected to waive it when he learned that Groh was leaving and going to the Bears thinking full well that Groh would be reimbursed for the amount owed. After the frustration of not collecting the amount owed in a timely manner, he decided to still not waive the clause. I expect ultimately the amount will be settled for an undisclosed sum. But really, it should not have come down to this. Groh has the money to pay this but even moreso its common in the business for the new employer to handle these expenses. Groh may in fact be caught in the middle here - may not who knows. But this sort of stuff is basic contract elements that should be addressed in a coach's contract. Somebody dropped the ball somewhere.
I agree. One of the first questions asked, normally, is "What's your buyout?"

CrimsonChuck

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 1999
Philadelphia, PA
It's not that it's the Bears responsibility. It's that it's pretty typical/standard for a coach to have it put into his contract with his new employer that they cover any buyout penalties from his previous employer. Why this wasn't in the contract with the Bears is what we're questioning here. Either he and his agent made a major, major, goof or there's some other reason he hasn't paid.
That's exactly what I meant.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.