Anybody got eyes on NFL Combine info?

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
Cyrus has very long arms and that kills you in bench press.
It truly does. I'm 5'9 and have gator arms and therefore can bench a pretty good bit. My best bud, who's 6'6 say's, "Don't act like you're strong dude. You only have to lift the bar about three inches. I have to lift it three dang feet..lol".
I'd never tell him this, but he's right :)

Catfish

Hall of Fame
Oct 11, 2005
Birmingham
Today it was the Johnny Manzeil interview show. He has now changed his stance to "i'll be happy wherever I go".
We'll see if he still feels that way if he ends up with the Jags, Browns or Raiders.

Cyrus has very long arms and that kills you in bench press.
Yeah, but it helps a LOT in blocking, particularly pass blocking. That's why tackles typically do fewer reps than interior OL and DL players. They have longer arms to pass block and protect the edge.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
How many reps a lineman can do in the bench press is just about as meaningless as how fast a running back can run the 40 yard dash, from the standpoint of being successful in the NFL. Yes you have to be strong enough or fast enough to play in the NFL but you do not win on strength or speed alone. Technique and skill trump speed and power just about every time. I'm not diminishing the combine, I really enjoy watching the prospects run the 40 yard dash and everything, but I just wouldn't put much stock into it.

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
How many reps a lineman can do in the bench press is just about as meaningless as how fast a running back can run the 40 yard dash, from the standpoint of being successful in the NFL. Yes you have to be strong enough or fast enough to play in the NFL but you do not win on strength or speed alone. Technique and skill trump speed and power just about every time. I'm not diminishing the combine, I really enjoy watching the prospects run the 40 yard dash and everything, but I just wouldn't put much stock into it.
I played in a scramble golf tournament a few years back with a guy named StePhan' Moore, a coach at Mississippi Gulf Coast Community College, who played for years as a wide receiver with the Cleveland Browns.
It was the year Andre Smith declared for the draft and showed up at the combine all out of shape and couldn't bench press a bar without weights on it.
I asked him what he thought about it and he said, "Man, that stuff is so overblown. All the NFL coaches want to know is if you can play football or not. He's a good player. He'll make it".
Well Andre is proving him right, although it took him a bit to prove it.
So I agree with you.
sip

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
It truly does. I'm 5'9 and have gator arms and therefore can bench a pretty good bit. My best bud, who's 6'6 say's, "Don't act like you're strong dude. You only have to lift the bar about three inches. I have to lift it three dang feet..lol".
I'm slightly taller than you and have short arms also and done more than taller guys (not since mid 30's). It's proven and I will always take credit for the shorter guy.

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
I am 5'4 but my wingspan is 5'10. I have always struggled benching.

bamacon

Hall of Fame
Apr 11, 2008
College Football's Mecca, Tuscaloosa
Yeah but the long arms are about to make CyKo a multimillionaire. As much as I like him he is going to have to bust his tail in the NFL. I think he will struggle on the Left side. I hope he can transition quickly though.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.