Link: Dutch speedskating coach: US football 'sucks'

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
I actually like most Winter Olympic sports, even speed skating. Especially the short track. But I can not stand figure skating. Both the dudes and the chicks versions annoy me equally. But this seems to be our main focus at the Games, unfortunately.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

theballguy

Hall of Fame
Nov 5, 2012
Roll Tide Roll, Colorado USA
What little American Football this guy has seen was problem during NFL Europe. To be true, I have to admit when I first saw American football I considered it "sissy rugby". As I gained knowledge of the sport, and understood why the players stopped to talk about it (the huddle) during the game and the rules of the game, I started to thoroughly enjoy the game. I have been an Alabama fan since 1980 when I moved to the south.

Have to admit, I also have have a deep passion for what ya'll call soccer but its official name is "Association Football" and was invented by the English. I get just as much out of a 'soccer' game featuring my favorite team, Manchester City (and any team that beats Man United or Chelsea), as I do watched the Crimson Tide roll over its opponents.

What I am really saying is that the Dutch skating coach is not so much a jerk as some of you might think, but he is coming from a foreign opposite perspective when viewing American Football. He watches Erdivisie, the European Cup and the World Cup later this year and in winter, when the canals are frozen, he probably speed skates to the games. He has very little exposure to the NFL or college game. Once I understood the rules and tactics, I love American Football and this guy doesn't. I'm sure I would enjoy ice hockey if I really understood the rules like my nephews do in Canada.
Thanks very much for perspective, mate. Good to know these things. I can watch Rugby and English Premier soccer all day -- real men's sport after all. If we keep going in the direction of flag football, I have to admit Rugby will be more fun to watch. Can't stomach the Latin and Asian flop-soccer though.

Last edited:

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
No they don't. There are no timeouts. You are right, however, about "added time" at the end of each half.
Depends on the league. Professional leagues have no time outs. Most other leagues allow one time out per half.

Special K

All-American
Feb 8, 2008
Thanks very much for perspective, mate. Good to know these things. I can watch Rugby and English Premier soccer all day -- real men's sport after all. If we keep going in the direction of flag football, I have to admit Rugby will be more fun to watch. Can't stomach the Latin and Asian flop-soccer though.
Agree with you completely on this last part. They've perfected the fake injury so well you'd think they took lessons from the Barn coaches.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.