SEC-TV Question

gtowntide

All-American
Mar 1, 2011
Memphis,TN.
I got an email from the SEC asking me to lobby for my cable provider to carry the SEC network. I have Comcast and for now they aren't listed as a carrier. The only cable in my area that is signed up is AT&T. I obviously want to have coverage, but would like to stay with Comcast.Has anyone had any success trying to reach Comcast? All I get is a women who says it will be part of the ESPN sports package.Anyone know if that is correct? I really don't want switch to AT&T but I will if I have to.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Honestly, I would just switch to Uverse. It's awesome.
If you can get it. In my case, we have fiber to the top of the mountain, but it's still copper to all the houses up here, so they can't deliver Uverse. When I get the inevitable AT&T solicitation calls, I always get them off the line by asking if they can deliver Uverse yet. When they say "no," I just remind them that they're asking me to cut the download speed to one tenth of what I have with Comcast...

kyallie

FB Moderator
Staff member
Jan 17, 2010
Shakopee Minnesota, via Birmingham Alabama
If you can get it. In my case, we have fiber to the top of the mountain, but it's still copper to all the houses up here, so they can't deliver Uverse. When I get the inevitable AT&T solicitation calls, I always get them off the line by asking if they can deliver Uverse yet. When they say "no," I just remind them that they're asking me to cut the download speed to one tenth of what I have with Comcast...
Yes that's the problem, I had to wait 4 months with people within a block of me having it. It's definitely worth the wait.

bamamoss2

All-SEC
Sep 10, 2000
Cullman, Alabama
I have only one possibility; DirecTV. I am hearing to expect that IF it is available, it will likely be within a bundle that will cause rates to go up $2- 5 per month. Anyone got anymore specifics regarding DirecTv?

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
I have only one possibility; DirecTV. I am hearing to expect that IF it is available, it will likely be within a bundle that will cause rates to go up $2- 5 per month. Anyone got anymore specifics regarding DirecTv?
According to "Saturday's Down South" web page Direct TV originally hadn't planned on carrying the SEC Network. However, they received so many emails and tweets from disgruntled southerners they have issued a statement saying they are "talking with the SEC Network".

ontopp

All-SEC
Jan 31, 2004
Decatur.Alabama
Off topic here I have Uverse, I heard reg cable is a faster Internet, What do you know about it?

derek4tide

Hall of Fame
Jan 19, 2005
Daphne, AL
I read an article earlier this week that said this is all posturing from both sides before the final negotiations in June/July. Comcast and the others not currently on board will be by then. Just sit tight and don't panic. :)

kyallie

FB Moderator
Staff member
Jan 17, 2010
According to "Saturday's Down South" web page Direct TV originally hadn't planned on carrying the SEC Network. However, they received so many emails and tweets from disgruntled southerners they have issued a statement saying they are "talking with the SEC Network".
U-verse and Dish are the only 2 carriers to date for the SEC network. I believe Direct and comcast will also, but may require subscription to a pkg, although I can't see why, as it's included with U-verse....at least U-300, and 400.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Off topic here I have Uverse, I heard reg cable is a faster Internet, What do you know about it?
I get pretty close to 30 mbps. I think Uverse tops out around 12.5 or so. I also only have the middle grade of Comcast. They promise a good bit more than that with their top speed, which last time I checked was something like $25 more per month. It's not worth it to me. Another thing about cable - I get much better speeds now. It used to be that I could tell a real difference from during the day (I work a good bit from home), as compared with late afternoon, when everyone would get home and get on it. Comcast has the pod saturated enough now that I can scarcely tell the difference. I understand that's not true with the competing cable company here in HSV. All delivery systems have choke points somewhere. With Uverse, it's just further upstream...

Con

Hall of Fame
Dec 19, 2006
Northern Hemisphere
I was just about to ask about how good the internet is with u-verse, but I think you cleared that up.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
U-verse and Dish are the only 2 carriers to date for the SEC network. I believe Direct and comcast will also, but may require subscription to a pkg, although I can't see why, as it's included with U-verse....at least U-300, and 400.
I believe Comcast will eventually carry it. They may wait and see to what degree it competes with their CSS...

colbysullivan

Hall of Fame
Dec 12, 2007
Gulf Breeze, FL
I get pretty close to 30 mbps. I think Uverse tops out around 12.5 or so. I also only have the middle grade of Comcast. They promise a good bit more than that with their top speed, which last time I checked was something like $25 more per month. It's not worth it to me. Another thing about cable - I get much better speeds now. It used to be that I could tell a real difference from during the day (I work a good bit from home), as compared with late afternoon, when everyone would get home and get on it. Comcast has the pod saturated enough now that I can scarcely tell the difference. I understand that's not true with the competing cable company here in HSV. All delivery systems have choke points somewhere. With Uverse, it's just further upstream...
My Uverse is 24Mbps but that is the highest they offer, and they only offer it if your signal is very good. It all depends on the area.

kyallie

FB Moderator
Staff member
Jan 17, 2010
My Uverse is 24Mbps but that is the highest they offer, and they only offer it if your signal is very good. It all depends on the area.

I have 18Mbps, and stream video, broadcasts and post. I listen to Eli and post during games on my laptop, whie my PC is in use in another room no problem at all, also watch Amazon and occasionally Vudu no problems. Much better that Insight or TW, don't know about Comcast....but I might find out if the Comcast/Time Warner merger is approved

Clubfitter

Hall of Fame
Feb 21, 2009
Meridianville, Al
www.amtrustwebsite.com
I have 12 MBPS Comcast at office and 50 MBPS Comcast at home. I really can't tell that much difference (normal internet surfing) between the 2. Have similar speed computers both running Win 7. Might make a difference if I'm streaming. Don't really stream that much at the office. Whoever carries SEC-TV is who I will go with.

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas
Just tested ours.............average was a bit above 20M.

We had tons of problems, when it was first installed. Finally got hold of someone who was smart enough to realize you can't BS a former telecom R&D guy. They re-installed it the right way, and has been fine since. Only took 3 years, and dealing with more idiots than I would care to count. All of whom were convinced everything was fine, and I was the idiot.

They keep changing their service protocol. Menu-driven nonsense, designed by folks who never had to do any service work. The menu told them what piece of gear to swap out, and they were unable to swap out anything the menu did not call for.

One thing I did learn is they count on folks to do the "self install", knowing the existing wiring is not good enough. Then, they can come in, and charge more, for what you should have let them do in the first place.

Unless you are unlucky and get an install technician that is an idiot. And several repair techs who are just as lazy.

/rant

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I have 12 MBPS Comcast at office and 50 MBPS Comcast at home. I really can't tell that much difference (normal internet surfing) between the 2. Have similar speed computers both running Win 7. Might make a difference if I'm streaming. Don't really stream that much at the office. Whoever carries SEC-TV is who I will go with.
I believe you would see the difference in streaming. I'd have a hard time leaving Comcast. I've had the same email address for 14 years with them now (and three years before that with @Home). Literally thousands of people have that address. I have the same "eself" with Hiwaay and I've been trying to phase that out for a couple of years. Just about when I'm about to pull the trigger, I'll get something in under it and I go "dammit can't do it yet..."

Bad Pony

All-American
Nov 14, 1999
Pelham
That's the highest Uverse I've heard about. Maybe I just don't know folks who can afford it... :)
I have the 18Mbps (24 is available here also) and it's $56/month IIRC...it is pretty much on the money, each time I have performed a speed test it clocks right at 18.

If DirecTV doesn't carry the SEC network, I'll drop them and pick up Uverse TV in a heartbeat.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.