Norwood Runs 4.39-40 At Combine

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
I'm going to be truly disappointed if you're not correct. He's my man.
I mean, ultimately...first or seventh round, as long as you go somewhere that has a plan for you then it is all up to you to make them look like geniuses.

3rd or 4th round is not a bad place. The way the draft money is setup now, if you can't go in the first round...then it all about the second contract.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I mean, ultimately...first or seventh round, as long as you go somewhere that has a plan for you then it is all up to you to make them look like geniuses.

3rd or 4th round is not a bad place. The way the draft money is setup now, if you can't go in the first round...then it all about the second contract.
And even the gap between 1st and later rounds is much narrower...

BigEasyTider

FB | REC Moderator
Nov 27, 2007
Biggest surprise was to hear many GM's have question on CJ's longevity due to medical exam. Info came from colleague who is at the combine who spoke with several GM's and met with multiple players and agents. Still thinks CJ goes 1st round but, could slip to late 1st round.
The medical concerns aren't a real surprise. Between that really nasty looking hip injury he had in the 2011 BCSNCG, which fortunately turned out to not be as significant as feared, and the shoulder and elbow injuries, he has a fairly lengthy medical chart.

Bigger problem for C.J. is that he's a tad undersized, and he will never be an interior enforcer like a Patrick Willis. He's not an edge rusher, either, so he kind of plays a role that the NFL has long since de-emphasized now. Not to say he might not sneak into the first round, but guys like that tend to populate the second and third rounds far more frequently than the first.

BigEasyTider

FB | REC Moderator
Nov 27, 2007
Re: Norwood:

Really happy to see him run what he did, and he showcased some of that athleticism that made him pretty highly-recruited several years ago. I tend to think that with those times, and his college film, he probably locked himself in as a third or fourth round pick, despite the fact that he (unfortunately for him) is coming out in a ridiculously deep wide receiver class.

Will say, though, that you can't help but get a case of "what could have been" when talking about Norwood. He had a fine career, obviously, and will be remembered a very long time in Tuscaloosa, but I do think he was limited by a lot of nagging injuries and never really got to showcase himself fully. In particular, he's fought through the toe injury the past couple of years, and it's the same thing that gave Lacy all of his troubles. Not saying he would have been a Julio type, mind you, but had he been able to stay healthier I do think he would probably have another 30 or 40 receptions by his name, and he would have probably contributed sooner than he did.

DallasRTR

3rd Team
Jul 26, 2007
I never remember Norwood being that fast. But, I do remember - if you need a first down catch, he's the guy to throw it to.

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS

Really happy to see him run what he did, and he showcased some of that athleticism that made him pretty highly-recruited several years ago. I tend to think that with those times, and his college film, he probably locked himself in as a third or fourth round pick, despite the fact that he (unfortunately for him) is coming out in a ridiculously deep wide receiver class.

Will say, though, that you can't help but get a case of "what could have been" when talking about Norwood. He had a fine career, obviously, and will be remembered a very long time in Tuscaloosa, but I do think he was limited by a lot of nagging injuries and never really got to showcase himself fully. In particular, he's fought through the toe injury the past couple of years, and it's the same thing that gave Lacy all of his troubles. Not saying he would have been a Julio type, mind you, but had he been able to stay healthier I do think he would probably have another 30 or 40 receptions by his name, and he would have probably contributed sooner than he did.
Kevin also made one little mental error that cost him practically all of his playing time as a redshirt freshman.
I'm sure you know what I'm referring to.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012

I only noticed one weakness in his game - he seemed to "need" to face the ball when making catches. Unlike someone like Cooper, who could catch the ball coming at him from any angle, it seemed to me that Norwood needed to turn his body into the pass.

Now, this will work well for him in certain scenarios, like back shoulder throws and possession catches across the middle - but it also means that he limits his YAC because he almost always goes down immediately after he makes the catch.

I look forward to watching him on Sundays, but I also want to see if his team is able to improve this part of his game. IMO, if they can, he could be a Julio type WR.

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
Norwood has the reputation of being the 'Clutch Receiver'.
(Like AJs reputation of being a 'Game Manager')

Norwood is a lot faster than the Defenses thought he was.
IMO: 4.39 is smoking... Adjusted time is still fast...

Pros will love Norwood. He can become a difference maker, much as JJ did. :)

Last edited:

BigEasyTider

FB | REC Moderator
Nov 27, 2007
I know this comment is more of a shot at the folks who called AJ a game manager, but I think Kevin being underutilized has more to do with the offensive playcalling than anything.
It's a bit more complicated than that. Injuries limited him, and playing in a deep receiver corps the past two years also limited targets, as did the fact that both Cooper and Bell were better deep-ball targets.

More to the point, though, we honestly just don't throw the football that much. We are actually a bit of a pass-first team at times, and we throw to open the run far more often than anyone thinks (especially against the better defenses), but we've played in so many absolute blowouts the past three years that it really keeps the overall number of passing attempts pretty low. In terms of run/pass split, we were at 56/44 last year, and when you throw the football relatively little like that, and you really distribute the football consistently across the WR corps -- we had four wide receivers last year snag 30+ receptions, mind you, not to mention around 40 receptions by the tailbacks -- it's really hard for any one player to rack up a lot of targets/receptions in that environment.

All in all, Norwood ended up combined during the past two years with 65+ catches, 1,000+ receiving yards, and 11 touchdown catches. I just have a hard time seriously arguing that he was underutilized given that stat line in the context of everything else.

Last edited:

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.