McCarron had a good combine. A lot of compliments.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
If he did enough to impress some scouts, then it's possible not to particpate in Pro Day, and that should be enough for him. think he did well enough to jump ahead one or two quarterback? Possible.

CHATTBRIT

Hall of Fame
Dec 3, 2003
Falling Water, TN
I did see him throw and he was very smooth and accurate -- even if the WR did not catch it, the ball was thrown in the right place.

Logan Thomas of VT had a horrible day as far as accuracy. The talking heads seemed to agree that his footwork was all wrong which caused the inaccuracy of the throw. If he can't correct it, maybe he will be willing to move to TE. He's got the body for it.

CoachJeff

Suspended
Jan 21, 2014
Shelby County Alabama
I did see him throw and he was very smooth and accurate -- even if the WR did not catch it, the ball was thrown in the right place.

Logan Thomas of VT had a horrible day as far as accuracy. The talking heads seemed to agree that his footwork was all wrong which caused the inaccuracy of the throw. If he can't correct it, maybe he will be willing to move to TE. He's got the body for it.
Thomas led all QBs in the 40, broad jump and vertical. Plus he's huge.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.

Thomas has spent his entire college career as a TE playing QB. He played TE in high school. The greatest thing that happened for VT football this year was that LT can't get another year of eligibility.

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
I think AJ solidified himself as a qb worth picking to be a potential starter and franchise QB.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'll make a bold prediction. Right now most have A.J. rated as the fifth QB behind Bridgewater, Manzeil, Bortles and D. Carr.
I'd bet that Carr and A.J. are not only still playing, but starting, when the three in front of them are no longer in the NFL.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
Now, that's Bold. I think Bridgewater will end up like Geno Smith... struggling for a while. Carr, Manzeil, Bortles and AJ should be in league for long time. Bridgewater will have one or two good season.

bamaslammer

All-American
Jan 8, 2003
Argo, AL, St Clair
www.kirkwoodhouse.com
While I'm hoping to see another starting NFL QB from bama before I die McCarron's got to do better under pressure. The pass rush in the pro's is really fast and you can't just throw it away 8 time a game there and expect to win. I'm hoping he lands somewhere with a decent offensive line.

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
While I'm hoping to see another starting NFL QB from bama before I die McCarron's got to do better under pressure. The pass rush in the pro's is really fast and you can't just throw it away 8 time a game there and expect to win. I'm hoping he lands somewhere with a decent offensive line.
I think that's critical for any QB...

DrollTide

All-SEC
Oct 18, 2008
Hunts Patch
My bold prediction is that Manziel won't play very long in the NFL. This is not a knock on his competitive spirit, which is unmatched. But:
- he is a bit small, and can't run around like he is used to without getting his brains beat in
- he can't get away with the ridiculous heaves that worked in college, even against Alabama
- pro defenses are way too fast and too good to let him do the frantic escapology he is used to doing.

Manziel is a treat to watch, except when he is beating Alabama. But I believe he has incredible talents that do not translate to the pro's. Either way, best of luck to him.

I think Bridgewater might do well. I don't know enough about Carr to comment. I think AJ can do well but he still needs, and can obtain, an extra degree of competence to really shine in the pro's.

Stonewall1959

2nd Team
Oct 5, 2005
Macon, Georgia
My bold prediction is that Manziel won't play very long in the NFL. This is not a knock on his competitive spirit, which is unmatched. But:
- he is a bit small, and can't run around like he is used to without getting his brains beat in
- he can't get away with the ridiculous heaves that worked in college, even against Alabama
- pro defenses are way too fast and too good to let him do the frantic escapology he is used to doing.

Manziel is a treat to watch, except when he is beating Alabama. But I believe he has incredible talents that do not translate to the pro's. Either way, best of luck to him.

I think Bridgewater might do well. I don't know enough about Carr to comment. I think AJ can do well but he still needs, and can obtain, an extra degree of competence to really shine in the pro's.
I think Manziel's pro career will look a lot like RG III's. Will come out hot, get smashed a few times, come back and do ok, then more injuries will pretty much wind him up. I say he doesn't make it more than about 3 years in the NFL.

I think AJ's career will all be determined by where he lands. If he could wind up somewhere like New England with an established starter that he can learn from a couple of years he make a great NFL QB down the road. He reminds me of a young Matt Ryan.

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
I think Manziel's pro career will look a lot like RG III's. Will come out hot, get smashed a few times, come back and do ok, then more injuries will pretty much wind him up. I say he doesn't make it more than about 3 years in the NFL.

I think AJ's career will all be determined by where he lands. If he could wind up somewhere like New England with an established starter that he can learn from a couple of years he make a great NFL QB down the road. He reminds me of a young Matt Ryan.
That's my thinking as well. Johnny's arm isn't what made him great in college, it was his legs. Those NFL guys are bigger and faster than anything he's ever faced. They can catch him, and they can hurt him. Plus, he doesn't throw a great ball, and he's short.
I have real doubts if he can make it. That's not a knock against him as much as it's just looking at reality.
He'll need to learn to try and be a pocket passer and to run only when necessary, to protect himself.
I don't know if his ego will allow him to do that.
I'll wish him the best. One of the most exciting college players I've ever seen.
But it's a different level now and he can get himself killed if he's not willing to adjust.
sip

gamersfuel

All-American
Jan 20, 2008
Auburn/near a cow pasture
i dont know what games you guys were watching but Manziel does throw a pretty darn good football. his ball placement is outstanding. his thing will be whether he can be a pocket passer and cut out the ad libbing

bamanix

1st Team
Mar 24, 2010
since I am a nfl oldtimer on this board. I can remember a great qb from Georgia fran Tarkington, that was maybe even a little smaller than johnny, but played many years in the nfl, all pro and never was seriously injured.

CraigD

All-American
Aug 8, 2006
Columbus, GA

Colin Kaepernick and Russell Wilson say "hi"

Last edited:

bamacpa

All-American
Jul 19, 2006
Agreed, he had the luxury of a great line in 2012 and looked comfortable. The pass protection struggles against Va Tech and Oklahoma made him uncomfortable and affected his efficiency.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
since I am a nfl oldtimer on this board. I can remember a great qb from Georgia fran Tarkington, that was maybe even a little smaller than johnny, but played many years in the nfl, all pro and never was seriously injured.
I'm afraid there's not any room now in the NFL for a Fran. There may not be room for Johnny, either...

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.