Is Coach Saban the Most Disliked Man in College Athletics?

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
I don't think it really matters. He's pretty much the most successful, so yeah I suppose so... I don't know if disliked is even the right word though.

A word like resented would be more appropriate.

Last edited:

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA
I don't think it really matters. He's pretty much the most successful, so yeah I suppose so... I don't know if disliked is even the right word though.

A word like resented most be more appropriate.
Personally, I couldn`t care less. You`re probably closer to the truth with "resented" as opposed to "disliked".

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
I think people are tire/resentful/jealous of CNS's success and it makes it 1000x's worse that it's at the University of Alabama. Again, I won't EVER forget a lot of people putting Alabama in the graveyard before CNS getting here. "They won't ever be as good as they used to be." I also remember once CNS got here many said "He won't do what he did at LSU.". Well, they were right there. He's done three times better. LOL!

So yeah, there are a lot of people out there (good coaches) who think very highly of themselves yet up to this point haven't won the big one. Coach Saban has done it four times and three in the last five years with Bama.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
As much as the CFB world envies and resents Saban's success, and by inference, Alabama's, there isn't a fanbase in the country who wouldn't dance nekkid in the streets if he left us for them.

So I can't really say he's disliked. Envied, resented, and as long as he's not at their school, feared. But not truly disliked.

tidefanbeezer

All-American
Sep 25, 2006
Atlanta, GA
Agree that resented is probably a better descriptor.

Frankly, there is not much he can do about that. He is taking care of his program and his business. Resentment is controlled only by the individual that chooses to be bitter about the success of another individual.

AUTigers001

1st Team
Feb 3, 2010
I don't dislike or resent Saban. I think he's the best college football coach in America today. I respect him... I just wish he would retire... lol

mrusso

1st Team
Apr 17, 2006
As much as the CFB world envies and resents Saban's success, and by inference, Alabama's, there isn't a fanbase in the country who wouldn't dance nekkid in the streets if he left us for them.

So I can't really say he's disliked. Envied, resented, and as long as he's not at their school, feared. But not truly disliked.
Texas fans wouldn't have him. Just read their message boards and you'll see. Here's a recap of Texas football message boards about Saban:

Jan 2010: Saban's the devil. Give me Mack Brown any day.
2011: Saban is the devil. He can't win without cheating. I would rather lose with Mack Brown than win with Saban (careful what you wish for)
2012: Saban is the devil. Saban cheats. But MB needs to go.
Fall 2013: Saban...devil...cheat...we get it. Fire MB.
Late 2013/early 2014: Saban is coming to Texas. This is exactly what this program needs. We are Texas and we can have (buy) anyone we want.
Later in 2014 (after the Strong hiring): Saban...devil...cheats...etc.

bamaslammer

All-American
Jan 8, 2003
Argo, AL, St Clair
www.kirkwoodhouse.com
I thought it was funny when WJOX had a little sound bite of Saban chewing out reporters with the Darth Vader theme music playing in the background.

I don't think other coaches hate him. May be a few do who have gotten beaten by him. But most of the up and comers practically quote Nick Saban and Alabama football like preachers quote the bible. I just read today how Strong wants to focus his recruiting on big nasty linemen, "Like Saban does at Alabama". As for reporters I don't think they hate him either. In fact I think they love him. Because without a bad guy to focus everyones angst on it's real hard to write something that invokes passion. Saban is like a gold mine to them but when you read their stuff it sounds like they are pointing a finger at Saban and calling him the devil. Actually they are calling him the devil but only because it's an easy way to weild the passion of apposing fans.

Those of us old enough remember how it was the same when Bear Bryant was in his prime. Everybody hated us, but they respected us. When you thought of college football cost to coast the first thought was "Alabama" If you want to be loved, bring back Shula.

TUSKtimes

1st Team
Sep 18, 2008
Right here, Right now
I imagine even coach Saban is sometimes blown away by the immense success he has enjoyed at the university of Bama. When Darth Visor is constantly taking pot shots at you and he lives on the dark side, you know and clearly understand that success breeds contempt. And nothing says success right now like Nick Saban and Alabama.

CHATTBRIT

Hall of Fame
Dec 3, 2003
Falling Water, TN
Success breeds resentment and envy and Coach Saban has had a bucketload of success. Resentment and envy are probably what is meant when the word "dislike" is used. There is not a coach in this country who would not wish the success Coach Saban has had. So it all comes down to resentment and envy.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.