Is Coach Saban the Most Disliked Man in College Athletics?

CSA4Ever

Scout Team
Jun 6, 2010
Coach Saban's job is to recruit, develop players, and win football games... which he does well. He was not hired to be a media darling. He remains focused on doing the job for which he was hired.

Casual fans of other programs are envious of his success at Alabama. Those who know the game and fully appreciate it recognise the work he does.

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011
I like him, cause he "ain't nothing but a WINNER"!

As long as Bama is on top of the Collegiate Football World, he'll be okay with me.

The rest of those bozos like Coach Steve Superior, the Gus Bus, et al are just green with envy and just plain jealous regarding his amazing accomplishments at Alabama.

I hope he comes up with the magic potion to stop the HUNH offenses to make them even more envious!

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011
P. S.

People at Alabama always want to compare Coach Saban to Coach Bryant!

I'll do it for YOU! They both "ain't nothing but WINNERS"! That's all the comparison that's needed.

bilbo

Pro Sports Moderator
Oct 13, 1999
Gulf Shores, AL
Bobby Knight was not very well received outside UI.
I don't remember any disparaging remarks about Lombardi, but I wasn't a Bears fan growing up. I doubt there was any love lost between him and Chicago.
Coach Bryant mellowed a lot in the 1970s and with that mellowing came a certain level of respect around the country. He and Keith Jackson were very good friends.
I've never heard a bad word about Wooden.
As a lifelong Bears fan I can tell you we very much respect Coach Lombardi. Those were the days when it was Halas vs Lombardi at Wrigley Field. My parents had season tickets

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
I like him, cause he "ain't nothing but a WINNER"!

As long as Bama is on top of the Collegiate Football World, he'll be okay with me.

The rest of those bozos like Coach Steve Superior, the Gus Bus, et al are just green with envy and just plain jealous regarding his amazing accomplishments at Alabama.

I hope he comes up with the magic potion to stop the HUNH offenses to make them even more envious!
Envy and jealousy are two different things.

I am jealous of what is mine. I am envious of what is yours.

Malzahn, Spurrier and especially Miles are envious. They can't be jealous because they don't have it in order to be jealous in the first place.

AgentAntiOrange

1st Team
Dec 30, 2009
Norman, OK
IMHO, a couple of things come into play here:

*It's Alabama. Long runs of success will always bring out haters because they want to be us-though they won't admit it.

*Everybody hates a winner that basically points out that the reason they aren't winners is because they aren't willing to work hard enough. CNS isn't really considered a "guru"--at least not on the level that Bill Walsh, LaVelle Edwards, Monte Kiffin and others who revolutionized some aspect of the game are.

*Media-They need to sell a story and CNS is an easy target. Bama fans will basically give you all the free pub you need by arguing the point and posting the article link everywhere and flooding message boards which just sets everybody else off. Fish in a barrel.

*He doesn't have a contemporary. Miles could be he's so aloof that no real CNS-CLM rivalry story really works. No other program has been anywhere as consistent so CNS stands atop the mountain and we all knkow the game "King of the Hill" goes.

*He's preachy. He doesn't duck or shirk responsibility or criticism. No one claims we're FSU or AU (except maybe FSU&AU). He seems to hold the moral high ground despite the Satan references.

*He doesn't pay you any attention. For the most part, minus the 2012 aTm game film, you don't get to be on his mind any longer than the 1 week of your game with Alabama. he doesn't pay you any attention before that and he forgets you by late Saturday night. CNS/Alabama stays on the collective minds of CFB but you mean nothing to him. Ticks people off.

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama
He's the most hated man in all of sports & to me that's a good thang..Cause that means he's ruffled some feathers along the way winning lots of games & that's a good thing to me or for Bama anyways..

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
IMHO, a couple of things come into play here:

*It's Alabama. Long runs of success will always bring out haters because they want to be us-though they won't admit it.

*Everybody hates a winner that basically points out that the reason they aren't winners is because they aren't willing to work hard enough. CNS isn't really considered a "guru"--at least not on the level that Bill Walsh, LaVelle Edwards, Monte Kiffin and others who revolutionized some aspect of the game are.

*Media-They need to sell a story and CNS is an easy target. Bama fans will basically give you all the free pub you need by arguing the point and posting the article link everywhere and flooding message boards which just sets everybody else off. Fish in a barrel.

*He doesn't have a contemporary. Miles could be he's so aloof that no real CNS-CLM rivalry story really works. No other program has been anywhere as consistent so CNS stands atop the mountain and we all knkow the game "King of the Hill" goes.

*He's preachy. He doesn't duck or shirk responsibility or criticism. No one claims we're FSU or AU (except maybe FSU&AU). He seems to hold the moral high ground despite the Satan references.

*He doesn't pay you any attention. For the most part, minus the 2012 aTm game film, you don't get to be on his mind any longer than the 1 week of your game with Alabama. he doesn't pay you any attention before that and he forgets you by late Saturday night. CNS/Alabama stays on the collective minds of CFB but you mean nothing to him. Ticks people off.
This is the only part of your post I take a bit of issue with. I do think he's considered a bit of guru when it comes to the defense in general and the defensive backfield in particular. The interesting thing is that he's a tactical guru, as opposed to a strategic guru, a la Monte K. He loves the nitty gritty of teaching DBs how to "stay in phase" and how to recover when they're "out of phase." Coaches come from all over the country for those teaching methods alone, much less to observe how he manages the entire program. I think that qualifies for "guruhood." :)

gamersfuel

All-American
Jan 20, 2008
Auburn/near a cow pasture
like stated before, it's human nature in the world of sports. look at some of the winning programs in sports. Lakers, Yankees, even Floyd Mayweather. People hate them because they are or have been at some point the best in their sport.

IH8Orange

Hall of Fame
Aug 14, 2000
Trussville, AL, USA
I think he's genuinely disliked by at least four fanbases:

• LSU - he left them just as he was building them into a powerhouse and then after a short stint in the pros, he returns to coach one of their divisional opponents.
  • Miami Dolphins - they act like he left them at the altar and then simultaneously say that he wasn't a successful pro coach. So, if the latter is the case, then why are they so upset?
  • Barners - He ended the domination that the barn had over Bama during the early and mid 2000's, but it's somewhat odd that during his time at Bama, the barn has won a BCSNC and played for another. Barners still resent the fact that he has turned Bama into a perennial powerhouse and NC contender.
  • Viles - he processed their darling Fulmer, has beaten them mercilessly for 7 straight years, and has now hired their hated ex-coach as his OC. :biggrin2:

The other fanbases I think just resent him because he has revived Bama from the ashes and returned them to the position they were in during the Bryant era.

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama
Yup..It was the "Perfect Storm" for Coach Saban to come to Bama when he did..We gave him the keys to the Lamborghini & told him have fun just don't wreck it..we gave him whatever he needed & asked for to become successful at Bama & he's done exactly that..I don't think he would have had the kinda tools & support at any other school in college football..And our investment has been paid back & is set up to dominate college football for a longggg time & even after he retires should we here from withing the coaching staff & that coach keeps"The Process" in place & builds off of it..I'd hate Coach Saban & Bama as well if I were w fan of any other school in college football..

westide

All-SEC
Jan 22, 2011
I hope every team on our schedule next year hates CNS. I hope Barner fans hate him so much they burn him in effigy at Toomer's Corner. I hope at the end of the National Championship games he is hated even more. That will only mean that Bama had a great year!

CrimsonChuck

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 1999
Philadelphia, PA
He's the most hated man in all of sports & to me that's a good thang..Cause that means he's ruffled some feathers along the way winning lots of games & that's a good thing to me or for Bama anyways..
A Rod, Lance Armstrong, Donald Sterling, and Aaron Hernandez would have to be top four for that right now. After that, there would be debate whether Saban or Lebron would be #5 or #6.

Miami Dolphins - they act like he left them at the altar and then simultaneously say that he wasn't a successful pro coach. So, if the latter is the case, then why are they so upset?
Well, at least for this one Dolphins fan, I don't hate Saban at all. ;)

Edit: Here is a recent poll of the most disliked people in America. I forgot to include O.J.

http://nba.si.com/2014/05/29/donald-sterling-most-hated-man-in-america-poll-clippers/

Last edited:

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.