Harold Ramis, RIP

CrimsonChuck

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 1999
Philadelphia, PA
I didn't even realize that he was sick. RIP to one of the best comedy writers and directors of our generation.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/entertainment/chi-harold-ramis-dead-20140224,0,2259309.story

Harold Ramis was one of Hollywood’s most successful comedy filmmakers when he moved his family from Los Angeles back to the Chicago area in 1996. His career was still thriving, with "Groundhog Day" acquiring almost instant classic status upon its 1993 release and 1984's "Ghostbusters" ranking among the highest-grossing comedies of all time, but the writer-director wanted to return to the city where he’d launched his career as a Second City performer.

"There's a pride in what I do that other people share because I'm local, which in L.A. is meaningless; no one's local," Ramis said upon the launch of the first movie he directed after his move, the 1999 mobster-in-therapy comedy "Analyze This," another hit. "It's a good thing. I feel like I represent the city in a certain way."

Ramis, a longtime North Shore resident, was surrounded by family when he died at 12:53 a.m. from complications of autoimmune inflammatory vasculitis, a rare disease that involves swelling of the blood vessels, his wife Erica Mann Ramis said. He was 69.

Catfish

Hall of Fame
Oct 11, 2005
Birmingham
Wow, this one really hits me hard. Ramis was truely a genius who often didn't get the recognition that some of his contemporaries did and which he also deserved. Thanks for being one of the aboslute best at what you did, Harold. Godspeed, brother.

Rattlehead82

1st Team
Feb 3, 2008
Pace, FL
I hated hearing about this. He was a great comedic writer. Ghostbusters is easily top 5 movie of all time; and not just in the comedy genre. Groundhog day is a Feb. 2nd mandatory viewing. Stripes is a movie I need to watch more, it's been some time.

RIP Harold Ramis.

snake plissken

1st Team
Apr 13, 2011
Birmingham
This sucks x1000. Almost as painful as hearing about the death of John Hughes. Another piece of my childhood has just died. If you haven't seen the behind the movies documentary on the Biography channel for Caddyshack and National Lampoons Vacation, it is worth a view. :( And if you haven't seen Stripes, you're just missing out on comic gold.

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
I didn't even realize that he was sick. ---snip---
Some kind of auto-immune disease he contracted about 4 years ago according to the news tonight.....I didn't know about it either...dang what a shame...

This sucks x1000. Almost as painful as hearing about the death of John Hughes. Another piece of my childhood has just died. If you haven't seen the behind the movies documentary on the Biography channel for Caddyshack and National Lampoons Vacation, it is worth a view. :( And if you haven't seen Stripes, you're just missing out on comic gold.
They were just on a couple weeks back and I watched both. Great behind the scenes stuff! Thought it was interesting about the feud between Chevy Chase and Bill Murray and how Ramis just let them ad lib that whole pot smoking scene in Murray's maintenance shed. Also about how his character (Carl) ended up as the glue that held the whole movie together. Good viewing and I agree - "worth a view".

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.