Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    BamaNation First Team
    My Mood
    Fine on TideFans.com

decommitment thread

Has college football become a bastion of broken promises? Where will it end?
    What's the cause? Players wanting the notoriety and 15 seconds of fame to trend on social media . . . being able brag that they disrespected this coach or that school? It's getting tiresome and hard to be a fan. Where are the parents or coaches?
    Oh well. It would be interesting if someone who follows recruiting could tally the commitments, decommitments, and recommitments.

Roll Tide

2. Advertisement
    BamaNation First Team

Re: decommitment thread

That 17-18 year old players might have a hard time making decisions shouldn't be surprising. I changed my major numerous times before making a final decision. In defense of the recruits today, there has never been a time when a recruit can be bombarded constantly through the different schools, media, and fans. There is so much being thrown at them from all directions that it is no wonder the decision thought process can be affected.

BamaNation All-American JustNeedMe81's Avatar
    My Mood
    Doh on TideFans.com

Sad thing is.. half of those kids will transfer to another colleges within two years.
    We are champions. We can prove it! *counting 15 championships*

BamaNation All-SEC TrueCrimson7's Avatar
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Some commit when they believe they will be a first-year starter, or at worst a red-shirt year away from starting, then the team they committed too gets higher ranked recruits at that position. Plus, you've got schools out there who will apparently drop one commitment to give a spot to a recruit that becomes available later, so there's a problem on both sides. I wish I could think of a better system that does not involve lying and pride, but I can't come up with it. BTW, I have no knowledge of UA being insincere to anyone. From what I've heard, CNS and his team do things the right way.

BamaNation All-American JustNeedMe81's Avatar
    My Mood
    Doh on TideFans.com

They tell all recuits that they have opportunity to get looked at and compete for playing time.
    Quote Originally Posted by TrueCrimson7 View Post
    Some commit when they believe they will be a first-year starter, or at worst a red-shirt year away from starting, then the team they committed too gets higher ranked recruits at that position. Plus, you've got schools out there who will apparently drop one commitment to give a spot to a recruit that becomes available later, so there's a problem on both sides. I wish I could think of a better system that does not involve lying and pride, but I can't come up with it. BTW, I have no knowledge of UA being insincere to anyone. From what I've heard, CNS and his team do things the right way.
    We are champions. We can prove it! *counting 15 championships*

BamaNation All-SEC

Early signing period woul be interesting, wouldn`t it?

BamaNation First Team
    My Mood
    Fine on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by Tideflyer View Post
    Similar to early acceptance for college. I wonder how many of those don't happen. I'm not in that space, never had teenagers, am 57, and just not in the loop. All I know is when I made a commitment to my parents or boss at that age, I had better keep it or face the consequences.

BamaNation All-American

Quote Originally Posted by VirginiaTide57 View Post
    Similar to early acceptance for college. I wonder how many of those don't happen. I'm not in that space, never had teenagers, am 57, and just not in the loop. All I know is when I made a commitment to my parents or boss at that age, I had better keep it or face the consequences.
    VT, it's probably a bit more complicated than keeping your word. Based on some reports we stopped talking to Custis for long stretches and kept taking CB recruits. Prince and his family came all the way from Maryland only to be told, maybe suddenly, that we didn't have room. We bear at least partial responsibility for some of these turns of event. Tricky, these relationships.

BamaNation All-American TheRealPokeChop's Avatar
    My Mood
    Aggressive on TideFans.com

It happens sometimes it's mutual don't take it personal.
    Serve no master but your own ambition.

BamaNation All-American
    My Mood
    Relaxed on TideFans.com

i dont have a problem with it. certain situations can cause one to feel the need for change. on top of that, it's their decision. no issues here with it..

If you don't want to get married, you should break up before the wedding.

BamaNation All-American Matt0424's Avatar

Yeah, there is nothing personal with decommitments, but sometimes people (whether coaches or players, and I don't mean any of our situations necessarily) make it that way. It is part of the recruiting process, and has always been that way. It has become way more publicized, and quite a bit more frequent...but I think that is to be expected when there are many more viable choices for recruits to go to school these days than in previous years.

My Mood
    Curmudgeon on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by Tideflyer View Post
    I liked it when the SEC used to have one. If I remember correctly the SEC's early signing date was the first Wednesday in December and it was only binding so far SEC schools were concerned. I believe several other conferences had similar early signing dates. Always wondered why the NCAA killed it back in the early 1980's.