BamaNation All-American
    Post Thanks / Like

Positions of priority for 2015

Reading the post about 15 running backs offered started me wondering what the positions we really need to fill particularly well. Other than running back. ; > )

I'm guessing inside LB and Safety. Maybe interior DT.

Over to you, recruitniks.

2. Advertisement
    BamaNation Hall of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Positions of priority for 2015

Offensive Tackle -- we'll look to add probably 2; outside of CR and DJ from 2014, everyone else is probably an interior player

Running back -- likely 2, but some of our targets here can play other positions (Kerryon Johnson can play almost anywhere)

Wide Receiver -- We lose at least 3 after 2014 (CJ, Coop, and White) so we'll likely look for 3+ here

Tight End -- we'll look to sign at least 2 imho.

Inside LB and Safety are definitely our biggest needs on defense. We always look to add people on DL, but I think we'll focus more on pure DE in '15 because we have guys like AShawn, Frazier, Smith and Dwight that can play on the inside.

I think the 2015 class will have a lot more skill players than linemen.

FB | REC Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

It's a bit too early to really get into specifics, and as a general matter the composition of the class is still pretty fluid at this point, just because so much in terms of player development, attrition, injuries, and early departures for the NFL draft has obviously yet to happen as it relates to the 2015 season. That said, I think jps has a nice general summary above of where we will likely go.

For now, I think we focus heavily on safety, linebacker, and wide receiver. Offensive tackle will be a priority again just because that's the nature of the beast in the SEC, and we'll try to find another top QB prospect. We will nab a couple of tailbacks, and I hope a couple of more college-ready corners (i.e. not "athletes" or long-term developmental projects). The biggest X-factors for the time being in terms of class composition is where we are heading schematically at tight end (traditional end-of-line blockers v. hybrid types like Howard and Flournoy-Smith) and whether the staff is sufficiently satisfied that we've gotten sufficiently more athletic along the defensive line in the past two classes. My hope is that we sign three or four more DL who fit the "quick twitch" mold, in Saban's parlance, but not sure that will actually happen just yet.

BamaNation All-SEC
    Post Thanks / Like

I also think we will be looking hard to recruit a good builder. We will need more room in the trophy case.
    Last edited by glasscutter256; February 27th, 2014 at 11:18 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

QB-1
    RB-2
    H-Back-1
    TE-2
    WR-3
    OL-3
    DL-3
    DE-4
    OLB-2
    ILB-2
    CB-3
    SS-1
    FS-1
    Ya gotta believe!!!!

BamaNation First Team drsmithofga's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

And you have to watch out for transfers after A-day.
    "You never know what a football player is made of until he plays against Alabama.", Former Tennessee Coach Bob Neyland.

"The first fifty yards I was praying no one would catch me, the last fifty yards I was praying that someone would." Lee Ozmint, after intercepting a pass in the end zone and returning it 100 yards for a touchdown.

BamaNation All-SEC
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by drsmithofga View Post
    And you have to watch out for transfers after A-day.
    Like who?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by NoNC4Tubs View Post
    Like who?
    Whoever leaves. There has to be a few. But this doesn't need to turn into another oversigning thread.

Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by NoNC4Tubs View Post
    Like who?
    One or two of the QBs will most likely transfer. Morris, McLeod, and Bateman will see their position in the pecking order and make a decision on their future. Very unlikely they all stay.

Quote Originally Posted by tide96 View Post
    Whoever leaves. There has to be a few. But this doesn't need to turn into another oversigning thread.
    No one is making this into an oversigning thread.
    "I don't know what class is but I can tell when one has it, you can tell from a mile away"
    Coach Bryant

Rasuputin's response to my question "What benefit do tablets provide students?"
    (In an old southern trailer park redneck beer in hand marlboro light in other and camoflauge cutoff shorts man's voice) If a tablet was good enough for Moses and the 10 Commandments then by god they are good enough for my children in school today!!!!!!!

BamaNation All-American
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bama Lee View Post
    QB-1
    RB-2
    H-Back-1
    TE-2
    WR-3
    OL-3
    DL-3
    DE-4

OLB-2
    ILB-2
    CB-3
    SS-1
    FS-1

Seven total on the Def Line? Seems a bit too many to me. Agree with the 5 in the secondary, though.

Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by bama579 View Post

Seven total on the Def Line? Seems a bit too many to me. Agree with the 5 in the secondary, though.
    Agreed on DL. We just signed 6 in the 2014 class.

FB | REC Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bama Lee View Post
    QB-1
    RB-2
    H-Back-1
    TE-2
    WR-3
    OL-3
    DL-3
    DE-4
    OLB-2
    ILB-2
    CB-3
    SS-1
    FS-1
    If we sign seven defensive linemen in this class, that will be a sign that something has gone horribly wrong somewhere along the line. I also think you'll see those five defensive backs slated more towards safety than cornerback, but otherwise, I think that's a pretty solid pecking order.