Grammar cop alert: home-and-home

Probius

Hall of Fame
Mar 19, 2004
Birmingham, Alabama
Merriam-Webster defines the term "home-and-home" as taking place alternately on the home grounds of competing teams or participants engaged in successive contests or contests related by being on the same schedule. This is how I hear the term used these days, and it always puzzles me, because I remember Coach Bryant used the term "home-and-away" to describe, for example, a series against Nebraska where we would play one at home and one at their place. "Home-and-home" was used for series against, for example, Southern Miss, where we would play both (or more) games at home for obvious financial reasons. There was no expectation or reason to go to their small stadiums and lose money.

This is almost as bad as the emergence of the ridiculous-sounding phrases such as "the Crimson Tide are ...," where writers insist on making the Crimson Tide plural, when it is literally, figuratively and philosophically singular. The pluralization of Tide is as incorrect as saying "high tide tomorrow are 1:30 p.m." Did Blondie sing "the tide ARE high, I'm holding on ...?"

Talking about offensive language penalties? I propose a 15-yard penalty and ejection for both grammar infractions.
Thank you, I have never liked the home and home speak. It makes much more sense to me to say home and away. rtr

BamaPokerplayer

All-American
Oct 10, 2004
I thought grammar was situation specific, like one would not use correct grammar around a biker group, they would talk bikery.

glasscutter256

All-American
Jan 31, 2009
Huntsville
Never realized we had so man English teachers on this board. Next time I write a book (which will be my first), this board will be my editor(s)?:conf3: Now, I'm confused!!:mad:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.