Grammar cop alert: home-and-home

Bamagator

Scout Team
Jan 12, 2000
Merriam-Webster defines the term "home-and-home" as taking place alternately on the home grounds of competing teams or participants engaged in successive contests or contests related by being on the same schedule. This is how I hear the term used these days, and it always puzzles me, because I remember Coach Bryant used the term "home-and-away" to describe, for example, a series against Nebraska where we would play one at home and one at their place. "Home-and-home" was used for series against, for example, Southern Miss, where we would play both (or more) games at home for obvious financial reasons. There was no expectation or reason to go to their small stadiums and lose money.

This is almost as bad as the emergence of the ridiculous-sounding phrases such as "the Crimson Tide are ...," where writers insist on making the Crimson Tide plural, when it is literally, figuratively and philosophically singular. The pluralization of Tide is as incorrect as saying "high tide tomorrow are 1:30 p.m." Did Blondie sing "the tide ARE high, I'm holding on ...?"

Talking about offensive language penalties? I propose a 15-yard penalty and ejection for both grammar infractions.

Matt0424

All-American
Jan 16, 2010
Hoover, Al
The way I see it is Home-and-Away is referring to one specific team, and their schedule. Home-and-home is referencing two teams, and thus explains that both get home games in the series.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
First, this has nothing to do with grammar.

Second, home-and-home vs home-and-away differ in perspective only.

* The first takes the perspective of each opponent in a series, one at a time - Team A plays at home, then Team B plays at home.

* The second only takes the perspective of one of the teams playing in the series - Team A plays at Home, then Team A plays Away.

Sigh - I can't believe that I just took the time to type this...

jthomas666

Hall of Fame
Aug 14, 2002
Birmingham & Warner Robins

* The first takes the perspective of each opponent in a series, one at a time - Team A plays at home, then Team B plays at home.

* The second only takes the perspective of one of the teams playing in the series - Team A plays at Home, then Team A plays Away.

What he said. (I thanked him because now I don't have to type it. :biggrin: )

CullmanTide

Hall of Fame
Jan 7, 2008
Cullman, Al
Merriam-Webster defines the term "home-and-home" as taking place alternately on the home grounds of competing teams or participants engaged in successive contests or contests related by being on the same schedule. This is how I hear the term used these days, and it always puzzles me, because I remember Coach Bryant used the term "home-and-away" to describe, for example, a series against Nebraska where we would play one at home and one at their place. "Home-and-home" was used for series against, for example, Southern Miss, where we would play both (or more) games at home for obvious financial reasons. There was no expectation or reason to go to their small stadiums and lose money.

This is almost as bad as the emergence of the ridiculous-sounding phrases such as "the Crimson Tide are ...," where writers insist on making the Crimson Tide plural, when it is literally, figuratively and philosophically singular. The pluralization of Tide is as incorrect as saying "high tide tomorrow are 1:30 p.m." Did Blondie sing "the tide ARE high, I'm holding on ...?"

Talking about offensive language penalties? I propose a 15-yard penalty and ejection for both grammar infractions.
I'm not sure if you are serious but if you are I'm glad you got that off your chest because that had to be a terrible burden to keep inside.

derek4tide

Hall of Fame
Jan 19, 2005
Daphne, AL

You left out the part on "Crimson Tide are" vs "Crimson Tide is" - That is grammar. :)

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
This is almost as bad as the emergence of the ridiculous-sounding phrases such as "the Crimson Tide are ...," where writers insist on making the Crimson Tide plural, when it is literally, figuratively and philosophically singular.
This is called a collective noun and is an archaic form in American English. It is still used in British English.
From "Only a Northern Song":
When you're listening late at night
You may think the band are not quite right
But they are
They just play it like that."

Old fashioned, but not incorrect, in my view.

tidefan23

All-SEC
Dec 11, 2004
Hoover, AL

Regarding the first, I'm not aware of any other phrase for which the perspective is changed in the middle of the phrase. My perspective is Bama and never the opponent. Home and home is stupid.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Regarding the first, I'm not aware of any other phrase for which the perspective is changed in the middle of the phrase. My perspective is Bama and never the opponent. Home and home is stupid.
I was just explaining it. You may not like it, but that does not make it grammatically incorrect. Had the OP simply said that he thought that the phrase was stupid, I would have moved right along. Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

How did I do this to myself? :banghead:

day-day

Hall of Fame
Jan 2, 2005
Bartlett, TN (Memphis area)
This is called a collective noun and is an archaic form in American English. It is still used in British English.
From "Only a Northern Song":
When you're listening late at night
You may think the band are not quite right
But they are
They just play it like that."

Old fashioned, but not incorrect, in my view.
I noticed when I talk with people from Great Britain and the rest of Europe that they use plural verbs with collectve nouns when speaking "English" while everyone in the US uses singular.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.