Blog: Latest Bama News 2/26/14

kyallie

FB Moderator
Staff member
The Football Writers Association of America and National Football Foundation have partnered to form the FWAA-NFF Grantland Rice Super 16 poll beginning in 2014. The announcement was made Tuesday morning. Beginning this season, the top 16 teams will be ranked weekly by a roster of 36 voters. Twenty-six of those will be FWAA members, “current or past writers of national stature," according to the press release. The 10 NFF voters will consist college football hall of fame players, coaches and administrators. The voting roster will be released in the early summer. Given the history and influence of both organizations, the new poll could be considered a third major poll along with the AP and coaches' polls.
Comments from rbr OP:
I don't really see the point of this. I think polls provide for fun discussions, so I'm fine with this creation, but it doesn't seem like it serves any real purpose. Also, it seems redundant for the Football Writers Association of America to have a separate poll when the AP poll already exists. I would imagine there is a ton of overlap between AP voters and FWAA members.
FWAA, NFF partner to form new 'Super 16' college football poll - CBSSports.com-rbr

kyallie

FB Moderator
Staff member
It may take 10, 20 years to adjust -- legally, medically and athletically -- but we're still going to recognize the game we love in a couple of decades. Perhaps without kickoffs. That once-outrageous concept advanced by former Rutgers coach Greg Schiano, after Eric Legrand was paralyzed, now has a bit of traction. Roger Goodell advocated the concept late last year. We're already headed that way. Thanks to rule changes, there are less kickoffs to return. Concussions on kickoffs were reduced by 50 percent last season. It's not that far a jump to eliminate them altogether by doing away with the kickoff.

Concussions and college football: The game must change -- or perish - CBSSports.com (via rbr)

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.