It's official - Russia enters Crimea

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gr8hope

All-American
Nov 10, 2010
Re: It's official - Russian enter Crimea

Without a strong U.S. the world is becoming a very scary place. Good thing Barack is in charge.

I didn't put that last sentence in blue, wasn't necessary.

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs

As I understand it, Russia has a fleet based in a Crimean port. Crimea was not even a part of Ukraine until fairly recently. In reality, they are different cultures.
Unless/until Pootin sends massive equipment and personnel towards the "real" Ukraine, not necessarily anything to get excited about right now, but Ol Bama needs to get Pootin on the red phone and get talking quick or this might become much more serious. Hence my thread on the Rusky spy ship in Cuba.
It's kind of a strange story. Crimea was annexed by Russia by Catherine the Great in the late 1700's and remained a part of Russia (except for briefly after WW1 for 2-3 years). In the 1950's Khrushchev as premier of the USSR formally gave Crimea to Ukraine as a thank you for their sacrifices in WW2. At the time it didn't matter who "owned" it as it was all the USSR anyway. When the Soviet Union fell Ukraine split off, Crimea briefly was it's own country and then rejoined Ukraine. Over the few hundred years that Russia owned Ukraine they wiped out over 50% of the indigenous Tatars* and have it to the point where Russian's hold a slim majority ~ 55% of the population.

It's important for Russia for many reasons such as warm water military bases, which you will hear a lot about. The one you won't hear much about is that all of the Crimean Coast is owned by the Oligarchs that really run Russia behind the scenes. These guys do not want to lose their Dachas and real estate investments to the ethnic Tatars.

*they are called indigenous but in reality they are not either, the Tatars came in during the middle ages and took over in the 1400's.

Tide1986

Suspended
Nov 22, 2008
Birmingham, AL

Ukraine Military Still a Formidable Force Despite Being Dwarfed by Russia

Russia has an overall military force of about 845,000 troops against Ukraine's 130,000. Russia's military spending is also vastly greater than Ukraine's, $40.7bn last year compared with $1.4bn. But the Ukrainian forces are still formidable, better-trained, engaged over the last decade in international peacekeeping missions and established close contacts with western counterparts.
But a Russian takeover of the Crimea could turn out to be disastrous in the long run. The Kremlin would be underestimating the impact of the sizeable population of Tartars who were forcibly deported from the Crimea by Stalin in 1944 and not allowed to return until the beginning of Perestroika in the 1980s.

Sutyagin, who is at the London-based Royal United Services Institute, said: "The Tartars are very anti-Russian. They will do anything not to be under the Russians. They will be determined to fight for Ukraine. It would be a second Chechnya. There are a lot of mountains in Crimea, just as in Chechnya."

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs

I don't know, but there might be a causal relationship between these two maps.
Russia has spent the last 300 years in that territory. Interestingly even though that area backed a Kremlin puppet candidate most opinion polls show that they still prefer to remain independent though tied to Russia. I think we'll see new elections soon where the people "overwhelmingly" support closely ties to or even becoming a part of Russia again in these areas. Pretty easy to win elections when your have tanks and troops in the street "insuring the peace" .

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs

But a Russian takeover of the Crimea could turn out to be disastrous in the long run. The Kremlin would be underestimating the impact of the sizeable population of Tartars who were forcibly deported from the Crimea by Stalin in 1944 and not allowed to return until the beginning of Perestroika in the 1980s.

Sutyagin, who is at the London-based Royal United Services Institute, said: "The Tartars are very anti-Russian. They will do anything not to be under the Russians. They will be determined to fight for Ukraine. It would be a second Chechnya. There are a lot of mountains in Crimea, just as in Chechnya."
Oddly, this could be good for us. Back in the cold war days we would have been arming the Tatars (and Chechins if we could) to the teeth as we did with the Mujahadeen in Afghanistan. Now we can't and our post 9/11 policies make supporting them much harder as it could very easily be seen as State sponsored terrorism. So why will this be good? Well, it gives the Muslim world a much closer and a much more real enemy. And the Tatars are Sunni Muslims which means that they will likely be getting funded by our "Friends" the Saudi's. By doing this the Russians could take some of the heat off us in the Muslim world while also diverting terrorism support dollars toward this cause and away from fighting against us.

Last edited:

gmart74

Hall of Fame
Oct 9, 2005
Baltimore, Md

I don't know, but there might be a causal relationship between these two maps.
interesting map. looks similar to the southwest US. but i digress.

im still hoping for some great reality tv. whether it happens in connecticut or kiev doesnt matter as long as it doesnt interfere with my kardashian episodes

CrimsonProf

Hall of Fame
Dec 30, 2006
Birmingham, Alabama

We've had a strategic interest in the security and independence of Europe from Russian dominance for a hundred years. Different name, same enemy. But don't worry. Obama has no interest in maintaining our influence. Russia will rise, we will diminish, and eventually we will all pay the price.

One hundred percent true. Even if we can't commit to military intervention - and we can't - we absolutely have a dog in this fight. This is not someone else's problem, because there is almost no such thing as "someone else's problem" anymore.

Displaced Bama Fan

Hall of Fame
Jun 5, 2000
Shiner, TX

One hundred percent true. Even if we can't commit to military intervention - and we can't - we absolutely have a dog in this fight. This is not someone else's problem, because there is almost no such thing as "someone else's problem" anymore.

Let the Chinese intervene on this one.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000

The funniest thing to me is that the Empty Suit knows less about foreign policy than Sarah Palin. And in all seriousness - if you're dumber than Sarah Palin, what are you doing in the Oval Office?

Now having taken my obligatory shot at the Clueless Leader, now is the time to wonder.......why can't John "I Have a Plan for Iraq That I Can't Tell You About BEFORE The Election" Kerry apply his genius to this?

Is it because it's not in Vietnam?

Maybe Barry is about to pull out his real Kenyan birth certificate and tell Joe Biden to figure it out. That, of course, will make the rest of us sleep well at night.

Tide1986

Suspended
Nov 22, 2008
Birmingham, AL
Yes, thanks for posting.

To see why, just open a map. That narrow strip of land tethering northern Crimea to the Ukrainian mainland, called the Perokop Isthmus, is the peninsula’s lifeline. What’s left out of most Western analyses of Putin’s brazen military intervention is the Crimea’s complete economic dependence on the mainland, which provides nearly all of its electricity and water and about 70 percent of its food.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.