It's official - Russia enters Crimea

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
Re: It's official - Russian enter Crimea

Cuba is a much more important issue than what is happening in the Ukraine. We will not intervene militarily in that region, for any reason. Russia will take what it wants and the US, NATO and the EU will scream and holler, but that's about it...outside of some sanctions which will have minimal effects.
Cuba should be blockaded, Russia made to vacate immediately or we sink every Russian flagged vessel in the 'hood. They would not allow us to do anything similar in their neck of the woods, and they (and we) know it. Cuba should be the line in the sand; whether it will be or not remains to be seen.
Cuba will be Ol' Bama's legacy, or Waterloo. I'm thinking the latter, but we will see soon enough.
I don't think WW3 needs to erupt over this. Cuba is another story; call that snake-lookin' fool's bluff, or we will all be saying dosvedanya.
so two things

1. what has changed in regards to Cuba that makes this Obama's big issue? That there is a spy ship there? That has been going on since the 60's. How is this his issue versus, Reagan, Bush, Clinton, Carter or anyone else since Castro took power? Not following the logic here

What I don't get is why some on here think we have the right to tell people what form of government they must have, whether they like it or not. Crimeans want Russian rule, that's no secret. Most of the rest of the Ukraine does not. Let Russia have Crimea, it's been theirs anyway.
2. Are you ready to hand over the Southern border of the US, say everything south of I-10 from LA to Louisiana to Mexico?

At this point Spanish is the Native language of most of the region, it used to be owned by Mexico. If most of the population said "we want to be a part of Mexico" would you advocate us walking away and just saying OK?

Last edited:

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs

Wait, are you implying that a former KGB guy would not scrupulously honor an agreement he entered into?
please, he wasn't KGB, you can see him here as an innocent tourist in Moscow that just happened to get to meet Ronald Reagan and answer questions for him

got to love that striped shirt

PacadermaTideUs

All-American
Dec 10, 2009
Navarre, FL

Well, I'm available, if called. I speak Russian (which I am proud to say I learned at the University of Alabama) and have been to Russia.
Unfortunately, I'd be more likely to be recalled if I was qualified to teach sexual harassment response and prevention, Consideration of Others (CO2), or other "critical military skills" the current regime seems to believe are important.
By the time I retired, we had several annually recurring training requirements, the vast majority of which were self-directed and computer-based. Sit down at a computer and click through the presentation. Many of the topics were relatively mundane - computer security, human trafficking, etc. Others could have been considered more core to the military mission, but were nonetheless still self-directed and computer-based - Self Aid and Buddy Care, Law of Armed Conflict, Foreign Terrorism Threat Awareness. Even weapons qualification, though conducted in person with an actual weapon, was only required prior to deployment.

The three most emphasized and highly-tracked annual training events were also required to be accomplished in a classroom environment and led by an instructor, complete with role-playing scenarios and course exams. Currency was required 365 days a year, whether stateside or deployed. They were Sexual Assault Prevention and Response, Equal Opportunity, and DOD Homosexual Policy. Because, you know, diversity and protecting people's feelings are more critical than knowing how to accurately fire a weapon or correctly apply a tourniquet.

In fairness though, though that trend accelerated greatly during this administration, it started prior to 2008.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.

The three most emphasized and highly-tracked annual training events were also required to be accomplished in a classroom environment and led by an instructor, complete with role-playing scenarios and course exams. Currency was required 365 days a year, whether stateside or deployed. They were Sexual Assault Prevention and Response, Equal Opportunity, and DOD Homosexual Policy. Because, you know, diversity and protecting people's feelings are more critical than knowing how to accurately fire a weapon or correctly apply a tourniquet.

In fairness though, though that trend accelerated greatly during this administration, it started prior to 2008.
SHARP and EO are now quarterly. And tracked by name.

Tide1986

Suspended
Nov 22, 2008
Birmingham, AL

And here's an interesting article that was linked within the one you posted:

8 Things Obama Must Do About Ukraine

First, President Obama should speak unequivocally and call this what it is: a military invasion.
Second, President Obama should dispatch Secretary of State John Kerry and Defense Secretary Chuck Hagel to Kiev to show U.S. support for Ukraine’s transitional government, and urge our allies in the European Union and NATO to send representatives there as well.
Third, the United States should rally our allies to boycott this June’s G-8 summit in Sochi, Russia. And if Russian troops do not leave Ukraine immediately, Russia should be expelled from this group altogether.
Fourth, any and all discussions and negotiations with Moscow on any issue unrelated to this crisis, including trade and other matters, should be immediately suspended.
Fifth, the U.S. and our allies should put forward a condemnatory resolution in the United Nations Security Council.
Sixth, we should renew a push for eventual membership in NATO by the Republic of Georgia and aim to provide the country with some of the defensive capabilities the Georgians have requested ever since they were invaded by Russia in 2008.
Seventh, the Obama administration should immediately add more Russian officials to the Magnitsky list, which places travel bans and other sanctions on them – something President Obama failed to do in December.
Finally, in the Senate, Majority Leader Harry Reid should immediately halt his effort to force a Senate vote on Rose Gottemoeller next week to be under secretary of state for arms control and international security.

TexasBama

TideFans Legend
Jan 15, 2000
Houston, Texas USA

This probably sounds worse than it is. The Russians have already cut them off, and they have one sub and maybe some shrimp boats. A fair number of men though.

The Turks can cut off the Bosporus at their desire by treaty. Driving some warships into the Black Sea would take some work.

Tide1986

Suspended
Nov 22, 2008
Birmingham, AL

And here's an interesting opinion:

Not Too Late for Ukraine: John Kerry and NATO Should Back Off

Both John Kerry's threats to expel Russia from the G8 and the Ukrainian government's plea for Nato aid mark a dangerous escalation of a crisis that can easily be contained if cool heads prevail. Hysteria seems to be the mood in Washington and Kiev, with the new Ukrainian prime minister claiming, "We are on the brink of disaster" as he calls up army reserves in response to Russian military movements in Crimea.

Were he talking about the country's economic plight he would have a point. Instead, along with much of the US and European media, he was over-dramatising developments in the east...

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA

And there's the rub. We have some saying we need to cancel G8 in Sochi and expel Russians from G8 and others saying to remain cool. You can be sure of 1 thing, the Dems will basically praise whatever BO does and the Reps will rub their hands together and criticize. Keep one thing in mind, this is playing out in Russia's front yard, not ours, and very importantly so far, no one has died at the hands of the Russians.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La

And there's the rub. We have some saying we need to cancel G8 in Sochi and expel Russians from G8 and others saying to remain cool. You can be sure of 1 thing, the Dems will basically praise whatever BO does and the Reps will rub their hands together and criticize. Keep one thing in mind, this is playing out in Russia's front yard, not ours, and very importantly so far, no one has died at the hands of the Russians.
Let's hope there isn't an Archduke Ferdinand Moment on the horizon.......

PacadermaTideUs

All-American
Dec 10, 2009
Navarre, FL

I'll tell you one thing: if BO ends up doing the 8 things listed in '86's post above, I'll be the first to praise his actions. That's about the only plan that I can think of that would have any serious hope of backing the Russians down without getting a whole lot of people killed.

Tide1986

Suspended
Nov 22, 2008
Birmingham, AL
I'll tell you one thing: if BO ends up doing the 8 things listed in '86's post above, I'll be the first to praise his actions. That's about the only plan that I can think of that would have any serious hope of backing the Russians down without getting a whole lot of people killed.
In the event you didn't notice, it's Marco Rubio's list. We'll see if Obama is listening. I did note that Kerry is apparently headed to Kiev.

twofbyc

Suspended
Oct 14, 2009

so two things

1. what has changed in regards to Cuba that makes this Obama's big issue? That there is a spy ship there? That has been going on since the 60's. How is this his issue versus, Reagan, Bush, Clinton, Carter or anyone else since Castro took power? Not following the logic here

2. Are you ready to hand over the Southern border of the US, say everything south of I-10 from LA to Louisiana to Mexico?

At this point Spanish is the Native language of most of the region, it used to be owned by Mexico. If most of the population said "we want to be a part of Mexico" would you advocate us walking away and just saying OK?
I had to stop laughing before I respond. You do not have a clue. None of those people want to be a part of Mexico, that's why they left.
So document the number of times Russian "armed" spy ships have been to Cuba, at the same time as stated intentions to build a Russian base there. I can recall, at least from anything reported, zero.
Spanish is the "first" language in some communities that are predominantly hispanic, but certainly not the whole region. It is used as often as English in most of those places. Has been for years, nothing new there.
Got any more news flashes for us?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.