It's official - Russia enters Crimea

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA
Re: It's official - Russian enter Crimea

I had to stop laughing before I respond. You do not have a clue. None of those people want to be a part of Mexico, that's why they left.
Mexico as it exists, probably not.
Mexico with the areas listed annexed, probably so.

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009

Mexico as it exists, probably not.
Mexico with the areas listed annexed, probably so.
So the cartels can move in and make life more dangerous than it already is? I think not. At least here there is some semblance of law enforcement (yes it is not what it should be in border areas but south of I-10 covers a lot of area).
Those people of whom you are speaking my or may not be illegals, but they aren't, as a whole, stupid.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La

So the cartels can move in and make life more dangerous than it already is? I think not. At least here there is some semblance of law enforcement (yes it is not what it should be in border areas but south of I-10 covers a lot of area).
Those people of whom you are speaking my or may not be illegals, but they aren't, as a whole, stupid.
I am neither illegal or stupid. And if you plan on giving Cajun Country to Mexico, you better plan on a pretty nasty fight on your hands.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net

This situation may not amount to much, but this is a stark reminder that while we view ourselves as somehow more 'refined' than people of that past (which many seem to look down upon, as if their actions were based on their own stupidity), we've simply a thin veneer of civility covering our basic animal instincts. Humans (generally speaking) will always be thirsty for power.

And we're no different than the people of just 70 years ago that started a war that killed some 60+ million people...

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.

chanson78

All-American
Nov 1, 2005
Huntsville, AL

Interesting article.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/03/03/w...as-obama-works-to-rein-in-russia.html???&_r=0

Angela Merkel said:
The Russian occupation of Crimea has challenged Mr. Obama as has no other international crisis, and at its heart, the advice seemed to pose the same question: Is Mr. Obama tough enough to take on the former K.G.B. colonel in the Kremlin? It is no easy task. Chancellor Angela Merkel of Germany told Mr. Obama by telephone on Sunday that after speaking with Mr. Putin she was not sure he was in touch with reality, people briefed on the call said. “In another world,” she said.

Tide1986

Suspended
Nov 22, 2008
Birmingham, AL

This is an old play from the playbook.
"We will protect the rights of the German minority in the Sudetenland, in Danzig," &c., &c. Let's hope this one does not turn out the same way.
Moves like this one give some level of legitimacy to Russia's actions:

Voiding Ukraine's Minority Languages Law is Wrong

The decision of the new Ukrainian authorities to repeal a law giving regional rights to minority languages is a bad move, said Luxembourg Foreign Minister Jean Asselborn. He also criticized a bill which would ban Russian media in Ukraine.

Last edited:

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.

Moves like this one give some level of legitimacy to Russia's actions:

Voiding Ukraine's Minority Languages Law is Wrong
I would agree. Dumb to antagonize an ethnic minority. I wonder if the Czechoslovakians later regretted how they handled the Sudeten Germans. On the other hand, we now know that the Nazis were egging the Sudeten Germans on, telling them to place ridiculous demands on the Czechs, so the Czechs would be obliged to deny Sudeten German's requests.
In Ukraine, I'd bet there is probably a whole lot more to the story. The Holodomor casts a long shadow over the Ukrainian psyche.

Ironically, Karkhov, in the Russian-majority Donets basin, was one of the centers. The NVKD caught starving peasants trying to leave, and sent them back at gun point.
Meanwhile, left-winger and Pulitzer prize winning journalist for the New York Times, Walter Duranty, denied it happened.

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs

I had to stop laughing before I respond. You do not have a clue. None of those people want to be a part of Mexico, that's why they left.
So document the number of times Russian "armed" spy ships have been to Cuba, at the same time as stated intentions to build a Russian base there. I can recall, at least from anything reported, zero.
Spanish is the "first" language in some communities that are predominantly hispanic, but certainly not the whole region. It is used as often as English in most of those places. Has been for years, nothing new there.
Got any more news flashes for us?
it's funny, I thought I could post a hypothetical question and that you would be intelligent enough to see it as such without having to spell it out. Now that I know that you need things to be more detailed I'll try again. Hypothetically lets say economic or political conditions shift to such as degree that the hispanic population of El Paso Texas decides that they rather stay were they are but be a part of Mexico, would you be fine with that happening? Now, I feel I need to spell this out for you so please understand I am not saying that this is what they want at the moment. Simply asking that if those conditions are met would you simply tell the Minority White population "sorry it's what El Pasan's want" and just let Mexico walk right in and annex it as a part of their country? It meets your criteria, been a part of Mexico in the past so just let them have it?

And I can't document the number of times russians have docked in Cuba, never really looked into it but I still don't see 1 intelligence gathering ship with a few armaments to be as big a deal as an actual invasion. As for the Russian base, first I've heard of it and it is indeed a big deal.

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs

Russia also initially claimed it had no troops in Ukraine and all the Russian troops deployed there are without any markings on their uniforms or vehicles.
I didn't say what Russia was saying was true

Lot's of propaganda out there right now. From all sides

Status
Not open for further replies.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.