It's official - Russia enters Crimea

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
Re: It's official - Russian enter Crimea

Didn't the ethnic Russian separatists inaugurate a President in Lugansk and Donetsk after last weekend's election?
That looks to me like a step towards annexation a la Crimea.

formersoldier71

All-American
May 9, 2004
Jasper, AL

American soldiers from the 173rd Airborne Brigade at Camp Ederle in Vicenza, Italy, are expected to be leaving the base once again soon to head to Ukraine to help train soldiers for their fight against Russia, an Italian newspaper reports.

---

The same newspaper earlier this week suggesting that American soldiers may already be on the ground in Ukraine and helping the government of Kiev.

In a post that covers a purported Jan. 24 attack on the Black Sea port city of Mariupol by troops from the People's Republic of Donetsk, a Ukrainian reporter questions a soldier wearing a Ukrainian uniform, and claimed he used perfect English when he told the reporter to leave him alone.
http://www.newsmax.com/Newsfront/airborne-american-troops-ukraine/2015/01/31/id/621896/

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.

Obama's Ukraine policy at crossroads as fighting rages on.

Opponents of arming Kiev say Putin will be able to more than match any escalation; advocates say the Russian leader risks increased casualties and discontent at home if he does so.
Goods points, well presented.

"The truth is I don’t think we know yet ... how successful this United States last year committed more than $118 million in training effort will be," a senior State Department official [with poor English skills] said. "There is a sense that there’s still some big issues left to be resolved" ...
... Like how to construct a coherent, understandable sentence in the English language. Once he's figured that out, he will move on to solving the problem in Ukraine.

Overall, a fairly well-written article. I wondered how an American journalism organization had produced it. Then I saw it was from Reuters.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
3,000 US troops to train in Eastern Europe with Estonian, Latvian & Lithuanian forces.

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/wireStory/3000-us-troops-head-eastern-europe-exercises-29501996
Last month, US troops (and Stryker armored vehicles) participated in an Estonian Independence Day parade in Narva, Estonia, 300 meters from the Russian border.

Of the three, Lithuania has the least to fear. They do not share a border with Russia (except the little enclave of Kaliningrad). Latvia, in the middle, has some towns that are overwhelmingly ethnic Russian. Estonia, the northernmost of the three, also, has a large Russian population. In fact, Narva (where the US troops took part in the Estonian Independence Day parade), is 80% ethnic Russian.
The Baltic States have to walk a fine line between unifying their countries around being Lithuanian/Latvian/Estonian, without alienating their ethnic Russian minorities (who would then cry out to Putin to come "protect" them).
There are some signs of hope, however. Some of the best football players in Estonia are ethnic Russians, who helped Estonian earn their way into the EUFA playoff. Estonians call them "our Russians." Also, even though Narva is 80% Russian, very few of hem have availed themselves of the opportunity to get Russian passports.

Displaced Bama Fan

Hall of Fame
Jun 5, 2000
Shiner, TX

Russian "Doctor of Military Sciences says nuke Yellowstone, and cause the supervolcanoe to erupt.
Terrifying.
Points for "outside the box" thinking, but terrifying.
Yep, I read that as well. That's scary. Does he realize the overall global impact from a super volcano eruption such as Yellowstone though? It may throw us into a new Ice Age and well, Russia isn't what I call a "southern" country.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.

Yep, I read that as well. That's scary. Does he realize the overall global impact from a super volcano eruption such as Yellowstone though? It may throw us into a new Ice Age and well, Russia isn't what I call a "southern" country.
Yes, but it would hurt the U.S. worse, I suppose.
Here's a joke that shows the Russian mentality a bit.
A Russian finds a bottle, rubs it and out pops a genie. He offers the Russian one wish, so the Russian says, "I want my neighbor's cow to die."

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA

Yes, but it would hurt the U.S. worse, I suppose.
Here's a joke that shows the Russian mentality a bit.
A Russian finds a bottle, rubs it and out pops a genie. He offers the Russian one wish, so the Russian says, "I want my neighbor's cow to die."
Man, that's sick, but a bit of true...

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.

Russia whips up separatist sentiment in Ukraine.

A group of "Bessarabian" separatists met in Odesa, Ukraine.
A real journalist (something we seem to be short of in the US) did some research and found out something curious about the separatists web page:
The [Bessarabian People's Rada] “BPR” emerged practically overnight, its website’s domain name being registered in the City of Moscow (rada-bessarabia.org).
Then the author waxes political:
Russian support seems to have plucked this group out of nowhere.
So the Russian plan is find some disgruntled members of some splinter organization somewhere in a country where you want to stir up some trouble, feed them some seed money, and see what sprouts.
The Ukrainians scarfed 20 of these "Bessarabians" up and put them in the cooler.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net

Longish article in The National Interest.
Allison is a Democratic national security guy (Carter, Clinton, Dukakis).
The article suggests Russia is owed a wide berth in Ukraine and the West had better tread carefully, or we will have another August 1914 on our hands.
Interesting perspective. Based on our historical meddling and screwing up foreign affairs, I've little confidence we can do anything and not screw it up in Ukraine...

mittman

All-American
Jun 19, 2009

Longish article in The National Interest.
Allison is a Democratic national security guy (Carter, Clinton, Dukakis).
The article suggests Russia is owed a wide berth in Ukraine and the West had better tread carefully, or we will have another August 1914 on our hands.
*thanks*

Not sure Putin is viewed as a moderator instead of a hard liner like this portrays him. Estonia does scare me in that it could be the flash point. I have personal friends there that are very nervous. This excerpt is very sobering:

Putin has talked publicly about his willingness to use nuclear weapons to repel any effort to retake Crimea—noting that he relied on Russia’s nuclear arsenal during the Crimean operation. In these debates, many ask whether President Obama would risk losing Chicago, New York and Washington to protect Riga, Tallinn and Vilnius. It is a troubling question. If you want to either dumbfound or silence a table next to you in a restaurant in Washington or Boston, ask your fellow diners what they think. If stealthy Russian military forces were to take control of Estonia or Latvia, what should the United States do? Would they support sending Americans to fight for the survival of Estonia or Latvia?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.