Saban elaborates on his position on speed of play...

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011
I don't really have an opinion on the 10 second rule, but game OFFICIALS need to be IN PROPER POSITION to call a game. Do we have any HOLDING on the OL or other penalties NOT seen or called by Game Officials because they are not in PROPER position to observe the play.

I guess the Gus Bus likes that. Is that the reason the Barn line was so effective this past year?

Coach Saban was EXCELLENT in justifying his position on the topic.

I'll bet if we had a line like 2012 and just did the HUNH BULLDOZING (drive-the-ball-down-their-throat) offense against the Barn, defenders would be dropping like flies on Cow dung.

45longcolt

All-SEC
Dec 30, 2007
Warrior 35180
Yes. Tom Ritter, one of the SEC referees (white hat), was on a local radio show this morning here in Nashville. He essentially said that the SEC officials will not do anything different this year compared to what they have done in the past.
Well Ritter may have to take orders from his boss.

TideHead

All-SEC
May 19, 2003
I wish Shaw would make his position known...
Shortly after our loss to A&M in 2012, I heard him at a speaking engagement. He did not say that he was opposed to it, but he did say that it was really affecting officiating. He said that in life, you get vacation time at work not because your boss is nice but because it's been proven that you're a better employee after some rest. He said that his guys were not getting to rest in between plays anymore. He also said that when replay first started, replay guys could look at a play two or three times between plays without even stopping the game. Now, he said with this, they are lucky to get one. He said that it all goes back to the 40/25 second clock rule change.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Shortly after our loss to A&M in 2012, I heard him at a speaking engagement. He did not say that he was opposed to it, but he did say that it was really affecting officiating. He said that in life, you get vacation time at work not because your boss is nice but because it's been proven that you're a better employee after some rest. He said that his guys were not getting to rest in between plays anymore. He also said that when replay first started, replay guys could look at a play two or three times between plays without even stopping the game. Now, he said with this, they are lucky to get one. He said that it all goes back to the 40/25 second clock rule change.
I also saw an interview with Shaw about the 8th official. I am paraphrasing - He said that this official would absolutely not be there to help teams go faster. He said that it would help to ensure that all officials had time to get into position before every snap. He said it in response to a question about that, and said that he had heard a number of people had come to the same conclusion - that the 8th official was to help HUNH teams go faster, and that this was not true, and that the 8th official would not be used in that manner.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
The Arkansas coach is in favor of this rule. But wasn't it against Arkansas the barner pulled a Fred Sanford routine to get off the field and stop the action?

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I can see why there is such a debate.

If I'm a HUNH team, I like that my team can dictate pace of play and defensive subs.

If I'm a fan of a team like Bama that wins with defense first, I like the idea of having the opportunity to sub every play.

Player safety issue aside, if this rule passes it is to the defensive teams benefit, no doubt!

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I can see why there is such a debate.

If I'm a HUNH team, I like that my team can dictate pace of play and defensive subs.

If I'm a fan of a team like Bama that wins with defense first, I like the idea of having the opportunity to sub every play.

Player safety issue aside, if this rule passes it is to the defensive teams benefit, no doubt!
I've conceded to some AU friends that, if I had their team/coach, I'd probably be backing HUNH also...

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
I've conceded to some AU friends that, if I had their team/coach, I'd probably be backing HUNH also...
Not me, I can't stand the 'basketball on grass' type of play. The chess match, the strategy that football is centered on is why it's the only sport that interests me anymore, and the gimmicky HUNH only works as it removes that aspect from the game.

If the HUNH is the future of football, I'll end up watching it less and less - even if Bama runs it.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Not me, I can't stand the 'basketball on grass' type of play. The chess match, the strategy that football is centered on is why it's the only sport that interests me anymore, and the gimmicky HUNH only works as it removes that aspect from the game.

If the HUNH is the future of football, I'll end up watching it less and less - even if Bama runs it.
You misunderstand. I said that I told them that, if I were in their position, I'd advocate it, because I think it's the only real chance they have. I didn't advocate it myself in any form. In fact, I advocate changing the clock radically. The present experiment hasn't worked. The majority of our important games are CBS. The idea behind going to the present clock was to shorten the TV times for games. What happened? CBS jumped on it for even more commercials, so we have the present mess plus even more commercials and the games stay the same length. But I still don't blame them for pushing the concept. I would, if I were in their place - and I'm not...

BigBama76

Suspended
Oct 26, 2011
Atlanta, GA
I like the Ideas coming from the 10 second rule maybe they'll get it closer to what needs to be done. We all who have been watching football a while know that most changes have helped move away from defense,heck I remember you could only use your forearms for blocking.
I played HS back in the late 60's and early 70's and you couldn't put your hands anywhere on a defensive player. You had to stretch your forearms out like a chicken wing. Have no idea when they changed that rule but now, in college at least, they can use their hands, I believe, inside the shoulders.

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama
I hate how the HUNH offense has changed college football towards more arena style football as well Brad, but, should Bama ever runs it on offense, I will still watch & support our Boys no matter what..Cause at the end of the day, Bama & Florida St proved one thing by winning the last 4 NC's, it's a strong running game & even stronger D's, are still the best combination to win the NC..As long as we stick to running the ball should we go toward a HUNH offense..I could live with it..As long as Coach Saban is our HC, we will continue to run the same offense we have ran, that's made us the most dominate football program in college football..If it's not broke..Don't fix it..I have to watch Bama no matter the situation, plus, I still think teams will eventually go back to running a traditional offense..There's just to many great DC's in college football that will shut down these HUNH offenses & teams will go back to what has always worked best in college football..And that's a strong running game & strong D that controls the LOS and the time clock..JMHO

Gr8hope

All-American
Nov 10, 2010
I'd like to suggest that all fans who like the HUNH style of football just become soccer fans and leave those who enjoy grown man football, as it was intended, to do so.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I hate how the HUNH offense has changed college football towards more arena style football as well Brad, but, should Bama ever runs it on offense, I will still watch & support our Boys no matter what..Cause at the end of the day, Bama & Florida St proved one thing by winning the last 4 NC's, it's a strong running game & even stronger D's, are still the best combination to win the NC..As long as we stick to running the ball should we go toward a HUNH offense..I could live with it..As long as Coach Saban is our HC, we will continue to run the same offense we have ran, that's made us the most dominate football program in college football..If it's not broke..Don't fix it..I have to watch Bama no matter the situation, plus, I still think teams will eventually go back to running a traditional offense..There's just to many great DC's in college football that will shut down these HUNH offenses & teams will go back to what has always worked best in college football..And that's a strong running game & strong D that controls the LOS and the time clock..JMHO
I still think the 8th official (with Shaw's leadership - which should be forthcoming) and enforcement of the rules, things will return to normal...

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama
I honestly think so as well Earle..There's a reason a true HUNH offense hasn't won the NC as of yet..When you win in the trenches & control the LOS, you win NC's, it's the best combination & the best way to win Championships..Bama has proving that time & time again on the path of becoming the most dominate football program in college football..And it's more fun to watch if ya ask me..(
I still think the 8th official (with Shaw's leadership - which should be forthcoming) and enforcement of the rules, things will return to normal...

PacadermaTideUs

All-American
Dec 10, 2009
Navarre, FL
The HUNH is asymmetric warfare. It's a way that less talented offenses can level the playing field against more talented (which these days, usually also mean bigger) defenses. The answer to HUNH is smaller, quicker, well-conditioned defensive players who don't tire as quickly. The drawback to that is smaller, quicker defensive players become susceptible to the power running game. So everything runs in cycles.

Add an official to cope with the officiating lapses that come along with HUNH. Don't blow the ball ready for play until all officials are set. Get those officiating lapses under control, let the officials control the pace of the game, and the game will eventually evolve away from HUNH.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
You misunderstand. I said that I told them that, if I were in their position, I'd advocate it, because I think it's the only real chance they have.
No, I got that, no misunderstanding. I'm just saying that my particular enjoyment of the sport relies on things that HUNH minimizes, so even if I were a barner I'd dislike watching it. That's why I included Alabama - I so dislike what HUNH signals wrt what the sport could become that I don't care if Bama runs it, my interest will wane.

I almost cannot make it through a game featuring a HUNH team before I'd rather be doing something else.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.