JessN: Commentary: Furor over HUNH offenses won’t end quickly

davefrat

Hall of Fame
Jun 4, 2002
Hopewell, VA
If the refs are set and ready, more often than not they will see the other stuff as well. It's just going to take a ref with some stones to not back down from a HUNH coach screaming at him to hurry up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk, so my fat fingers cause misspellings and autocorrect makes my ships into...
as I've said before, I can see the ncaa punishing defenses for flopping. they can easily institute a rule that a player who goes down between plays must sit out a certain number of plays in order to be evaluated by medical staff. thus, the ncaa would be addressing player safety while also sending a message to the fakers that if you fake it, you're going to be treated as hurt and will have to sit out whatever number of plays they deem necessary. I would think that a rule requiring 4 or 5 plays would basically make it too risky a proposition. in a tight game, that could be the difference between winning and losing. the ncaa is going to do what it can to continually expand the game by appealing to the casual fan, who is generally more inclined to watch a shootout than a defensive struggle. if anything, the ncaa will take action to stop those impeding a faster pace rather than take action against the faster-paced teams. and the ncaa and media will blame the floppers for turning the game into a joke if that becomes an issue.

RammerJammer14

Hall of Fame
Aug 18, 2007
UA
Honestly I think the move to the 40sec play clock did more to advance the HUNH than any massive coaching innovation. Bring back 25sec!

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
as I've said before, I can see the ncaa punishing defenses for flopping. they can easily institute a rule that a player who goes down between plays must sit out a certain number of plays in order to be evaluated by medical staff. thus, the ncaa would be addressing player safety while also sending a message to the fakers that if you fake it, you're going to be treated as hurt and will have to sit out whatever number of plays they deem necessary. I would think that a rule requiring 4 or 5 plays would basically make it too risky a proposition. in a tight game, that could be the difference between winning and losing. the ncaa is going to do what it can to continually expand the game by appealing to the casual fan, who is generally more inclined to watch a shootout than a defensive struggle. if anything, the ncaa will take action to stop those impeding a faster pace rather than take action against the faster-paced teams. and the ncaa and media will blame the floppers for turning the game into a joke if that becomes an issue.
Unfortunately, I think you might be right. The way things are headed, each step thus far has been in favor of the hurry up offenses. The clock rule, whether intentional or not, the refs making pace of play their top priority, the tabling of, and backlash against the 10 second rule. I think next season will determine what football will become, if strong measures are not taken swiftly, teams will have no choice but to go with this sort of offense because things are tilted to it's advantage.

The flop is what's left if you want to substitute players, but I think there will be a backlash against that, and this will ultimately be to the detriment of the game. You don't want a mildly injured player afraid to come out, because he fears he can't come back in (even 3 or 4 plays can end up being several minutes depending on stoppages), but I do see things heading that way. There needs to be a reasonable mechanism for "walking wounded" players to come out as they see fit, not as others see fit.

rollmjtide

Nov 11, 2013
the irony, is that the superbowl was won by a team that uses Alabama's style of play.. defense and a pounding running game. where was Chip Kelly's team? no were to be found. Maybe it won't go away quickly in college...but it is fading in the NFL.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
the irony, is that the superbowl was won by a team that uses Alabama's style of play.. defense and a pounding running game. where was Chip Kelly's team? no were to be found. Maybe it won't go away quickly in college...but it is fading in the NFL.
Chip Kelly went to the NFL playoffs in his first year. I would hardly say the HUNH is "fading in the NFL."

USCBAMA

All-SEC
Sep 21, 2001
Columbia, SC, Richland
The nfl is all about ticket sales and TV ratings, but also about player safety (big investments in those players). It will be interesting to see how the nfl handles the rise of the HUNH offense (if it continues in the nfl) the next few years. Typically the nfl does a good job of balancing tv ratings and popularity with player safety concerns.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
The nfl is all about ticket sales and TV ratings, but also about player safety (big investments in those players). It will be interesting to see how the nfl handles the rise of the HUNH offense (if it continues in the nfl) the next few years. Typically the nfl does a good job of balancing tv ratings and popularity with player safety concerns.
I don't have to guess. Goodell's memo to the officials not to rush to place the ball says worlds. That's pretty predictive...

davefrat

Hall of Fame
Jun 4, 2002
Hopewell, VA
Hunh or not the nfl has been moving towards more speed for a few years because it goes hand in hand with it becoming a passing league. But for a few players and teams, smash mouth football is out and the running game is becoming more about speed and misdirection than it is about power.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
I would like to see the NCAA adopt the same rules as the NFL. Two feet in bounds on a pass catch as well as not to hurry with the placing of the ball.
To be clear, it wasn't a rule. The NFL just told the refs not to hurry, which is about the best advice they could be given. It's too bad that refs in college football don't seem to have been told the same thing. Does saying don't hurry mean slow down? No, it doesn't, it's not there to hinder the hurry up. What it simply means is not to rush, do your job, make that the priority, and as a result the NFL makes less mistakes and is a little slower. That's how it should be, but the college refs are acting differently, they are hurrying, and they are not doing their job properly as a result.

pigsinspace

1st Team
Jan 26, 2011
If you are rotating out situational packages, having someone flop who was supposed to come out anyway won't harm a team so much if he has to sit a few plays. "I wasn't loose enough when I came in, so I got a cramp. Ow." The main guys stay out, but everyone else can flop situationally.

davefrat

Hall of Fame
Jun 4, 2002
Hopewell, VA
If you are rotating out situational packages, having someone flop who was supposed to come out anyway won't harm a team so much if he has to sit a few plays. "I wasn't loose enough when I came in, so I got a cramp. Ow." The main guys stay out, but everyone else can flop situationally.
the ncaa will figure out a way to stop it if they want to.

USCBAMA

All-SEC
Sep 21, 2001
Columbia, SC, Richland
To be clear, it wasn't a rule. The NFL just told the refs not to hurry, which is about the best advice they could be given. It's too bad that refs in college football don't seem to have been told the same thing. Does saying don't hurry mean slow down? No, it doesn't, it's not there to hinder the hurry up. What it simply means is not to rush, do your job, make that the priority, and as a result the NFL makes less mistakes and is a little slower. That's how it should be, but the college refs are acting differently, they are hurrying, and they are not doing their job properly as a result.
Exactly, the nfl didn't change the rules to combat the HUNH, they just reminded their refs to follow the rules and to be fair to both teams (don't help to speed up or slow down play). It's silly that this isn't a no-brainer for the NCAA to follow suit, hopefully they will wake up and do so.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.