Question: Is Calling Coach Bryant "The Bear" OK with Everyone?

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA
Re: Is Calling Coach Bryant 'The Bear" ok with Everyone?

I've got a former music instructor who is a Facebook friend. I wish him happy birthday every year.

I still - and I haven't had a class from him for 25 years - he's Dr. Harris. Period. If I'm asked to do his funeral, he will still be Dr Harris to me.

Some of us were taught to respect others and you call them "Mr" unless told otherwise (or whatever title they have). It's still ma'am to me, mostly because my father would have beat me senseless if I had called my mother anything else when summoned.

I feel the same way with Coach Bryant. You'll notice NONE of his players ever calls him anything else. Not from any school he where he coached. My goodness, even the stubborn and classless Pat Dye calls him Coach Bryant.

I'm a little less bothered on our current coach, mostly because I called him something else when he coached the opposition and those habits die hard. But as hard as it may be for some to believe here - even predecessors to Saban whom we don't particularly recall fondly were called "coach" when they held the title here, too.
Three weeks ago saw my high school coach for the first time in 47 years. How could I call him anything but "Coach" ? He was and always will be.

jabcmb

All-American
Feb 1, 2006
Birmingham, AL

Ha, that's about the surest way to identify oneself as a marginal or non-Bama fan.

theballguy

Hall of Fame
Nov 5, 2012
Roll Tide Roll, Colorado USA

I refer to him rarely as "The Bear" if I'm talking with someone about him but in writing I have to refer to him as "Coach Bryant." Not without flaws, Coach Bryant was a great man in many respects.

bamamc1

Hall of Fame
Oct 24, 2011
Haleyville, AL

I went to high school and played ball with the children of Jimmy Wilson, Johnny Calvert, Jimmy Kent and Tommy Israel. None of them nor their children called him anything but Coach Bryant. Enough Said.

Bluegrasstide

1st Team
Oct 31, 2010
Pikeville KY

I almost always refer to him as Coach Bryant as I think that it most accurately reflects the reverence and respect that I have for him.

BamaJama17

Hall of Fame
Sep 17, 2006
Hoover, AL
I always say "The" before Bear. On here I use CPB. But usually I just say Paul Bryant in person.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Alajambama

2nd Team
Jul 25, 2012
Fyffe, AL

I have always said and used "Coach Bryant". But out of respect I use "Coach" in front of any coach's name even Coach Dubose or Coach Shula. I do not use just their last names or an abbreviation but to each his own.

Bamabus Collins

Suspended
Jan 7, 2008

I always refer to him as Coach Bryant or by his name. Just can't refer to him as Bear.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.