How many career college second-stringers have had good pro careers?

BAMAfan777

1st Team
Jun 25, 2010
How many career college second-stringers have gone on to have good pro careers?
With all the four and five star talent that Bama is stockpiling and the superior coaching of the Crimson Tide staff, it would not surprise me to see some Tide players that were second string all their careers go into the NFL and succeed.
How often does this happen or are we possibly going to re-write the books?

RTR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WMack4Bama

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 7, 2008
Tuscaloosa, AL
Haven't ever been too many teams stockpiled with the talent that we have now. Miami of the late 90s - early 00s come to mind. In that span they put out a bevy of game changer type players. We are in an era of that rare air now

JessN

Administrator & Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Alabama's Brad Ford got drafted by Detroit despite basically losing his starting job at midseason and being the nickel CB. Didn't last long in Detroit, though.

FitToBeTide

All-American
Aug 19, 2001
St. Florian
Bart Starr usually comes to my mind here when I hear that question. Played well his soph season, but Ears Whitworth wouldn't play him much his senior year after being injured his junior. Think he went on to do pretty well at GB.

GreatDanish

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2005
TN
Frank Gore and Najeh Davenport? I don't know if they ever started at tailback for Miami
I remember Frank Gore got pretty big then got injured, but I think you are right - I don't think he ever started. Davenport - I don't think he even really ever played. That era at Miami was ridiculous.

Matt0424

All-American
Jan 16, 2010
Hoover, Al
Here are a few interesting stories to chew on...

Jason Peters: Went to Arkansas as a DT, ended up playing TE (caught 21 passes), and went undrafted. He made a practice squad, and then switched to plating OT. he iss now one of the best Rt in the league.

Antonio Gates: Never played college football. Was a LB when he DID play in HS. Helped lead Kent St to the elite 8, and then realized he couldn't play PF in the NBA at 6'4". So he garnered a workout with the SD Chargers, and the rest is history.

Priest Holmes: He was never the starter, as he was sharing carries with a Heisman trophy winner (Ricky Williams), and wasn't drafted. After being picked up, he spent his first year as a special teams player...only to rush for 100o yards in his second season and have a run as one of the top backs in the NFL.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
I remember Frank Gore got pretty big then got injured, but I think you are right - I don't think he ever started. Davenport - I don't think he even really ever played. That era at Miami was ridiculous.
Gore seemed to stay injured in college but still had a pretty good college career and has had a very good NFL career. The depth chart at one time was Clinton Portis, Gore and Willis McGahee. That's strong!

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
Joe Carter ended up having a pretty good 3-year career at the Dolphins -- and I don't think he ever started for us.....at least he had one good year.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
I think you have to draw a pretty big distinction between second string and backup. Even Barry Sanders was second string most of his college career, but when you score 9 touchdowns, backup or not you are not exactly a bench warmer.

If you go strictly by someone that never really saw the field, for me Matt Cassell if the only one I can specifically recall that didn't start, warmed the bench, and went on to a good pro career. That's the one that sticks in my mind, he was a 5th year senior, he didn't have any major injuries, he had only 20 completions in college but he's started for 3 NFL teams. I'm sure there are others, but that's hard to beat.

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011
Felix Jones was never really a starter behind McFadden at Arky.

Could almost make case for LeRon Mcclain. He got relegated to being FB and has had a great career in the pros as a TB now...

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.