JessN

Administrator & Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
NFL Draft: Combine was a mixed bag for Bama
by Jess Nicholas
TideFans Editor-In-Chief
March 2nd, 2014 12:33 AM

. By Jess Nicholas, TideFans.com Editor-In-Chief March 1, 2014   As we do each year, TideFans.com takes a look at Alabama’s draft-eligible prospects. For 2014, we’re also branching out a bit to talk about other players, namely fellow SEC players and/or prospects picked to go in the same general range as Alabama’s prospects at their […]

Read More Here

Rollingtide66

Feb 19, 2014
I am one of those who try to know all things concerning Alabama Football, the players, past and present and who is not excited about the NFL. I do try to keep up with Bama players playing in the NFL ( Lacy, Richardson, Julio, etc).

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Relayer

Hall of Fame
Mar 25, 2001
Thanks for the report, Jess.

One question really jumps out at me...

"Given the lengthy adjustment period of other Nick Saban-coached cornerbacks at the NFL level..."

Given Saban's reputation as being one of the best in the business at coaching DBs, why do you think this is?

PDL

All-SEC
Oct 16, 2005
Birmingham, AL
Wow, what an awesome write up, Jess. You really did your homework on this one. I hope this will be a yearly occurrence because I found it extremely informative as to not only where the Bama players might end up, but also the needs of some NFL teams in general. Thanks for the hard work.

JessN

Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Thanks for the report, Jess.

One question really jumps out at me...

"Given the lengthy adjustment period of other Nick Saban-coached cornerbacks at the NFL level..."

Given Saban's reputation as being one of the best in the business at coaching DBs, why do you think this is?
From what I've been able to gather, the way Saban teaches CBs to play the WR before the ball is thrown and during the throw runs counter to the way NFL teams prefer to teach it. It might have something to do with the difference in the way pass interference and illegal contact are called in the pros. Every Bama CB under Saban has taken about a year to adjust. Dre Kirkpatrick was probably the best example of this; Cincinnati coaches moaned about his backpedal technique and how he played (or didn't play) the way they wanted him to with his back to the QB. Of course, Marvin Lewis has never been shy about criticizing Saban-coached players.

Alabama's safeties, by and large, have been plug-and-play. Not so much the CBs. CB is a more difficult position at the NFL level than safety anyway (probably second-most difficult transition from the college game, behind only QB) but the fact is some guys come out of college ready to go and Alabama hasn't produced any of those. Dee Milliner has been the closest but he was inconsistent last year, too.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
From what I've been able to gather, the way Saban teaches CBs to play the WR before the ball is thrown and during the throw runs counter to the way NFL teams prefer to teach it. It might have something to do with the difference in the way pass interference and illegal contact are called in the pros. Every Bama CB under Saban has taken about a year to adjust. Dre Kirkpatrick was probably the best example of this; Cincinnati coaches moaned about his backpedal technique and how he played (or didn't play) the way they wanted him to with his back to the QB. Of course, Marvin Lewis has never been shy about criticizing Saban-coached players.

Alabama's safeties, by and large, have been plug-and-play. Not so much the CBs. CB is a more difficult position at the NFL level than safety anyway (probably second-most difficult transition from the college game, behind only QB) but the fact is some guys come out of college ready to go and Alabama hasn't produced any of those. Dee Milliner has been the closest but he was inconsistent last year, too.
I think you're right. Dee was benched on more than one occasion if I remember correctly.

JessN

Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
I think you're right. Dee was benched on more than one occasion if I remember correctly.
At least Rex Ryan stood by him, said he was going to be a great one, etc. Lewis must have some animosity towards Saban. I remembered how he scorched Alabama over Andre Smith's technique; no other Alabama OL has ever been criticized like that, and Andre's problem was Andre.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.