Link: Here's An SI Article From 1968 About Option Offenses

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Re: Here's An SI Article From 1968 About Hurry Up Offenses

Well, what we saw was Bryant adopting some of the offensive concepts and defenses eventually adjusting by the end of 70s

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA

It's really not about hurry up offenses at all. It's about the birth of the option offense, most of which, back then, were run at normal speed - about 65 plays per game. HUNH can be run like Leach's, at more than 80 plays per game, in a strictly passing offense, or like AU's last year - mostly running option plays. The HUNH refers to tempo, not to the type of offense run...

dtgreg

All-American
Jul 24, 2000
Tuscaloosa
www.electricmonkeywrench.com

Still, REALLY enjoyed reading the article. I think the problem ultimately comes down to officiating. Officials don't wish to admit that they can't properly officiate the hurry-up. They don't want to believe that they are a drag on the game. They are, but that's ok. It's not a sin, as the HUNH coaches would have them believe. There are all sorts of outside influences on a game. Coaches and teams have to adjust.

I really enjoyed the substitution remarks in the article. In my opinion, one way around Title IX would have been to go back to one-platoon football. We could have men's wrestling again (if wanted) and teams wouldn't need 20 women's sports to counter the 85 +13 (prev 15) combined men's football/BB schollys. Problem is, College football IS the NFL minor league. It IS a big business and we WILL end up paying players and there WILL be a union.

My dad and I talked a bit about this. Lots of folks might not care about CFB if there weren't a bunch of 300 lb proto pros on the field, but instead, a bunch of safeties and corners like in the 50's and early 60's. But, we would. We'd still want to see Alabama play just as much.

What do we want College football to be? , indeed.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA

Still, REALLY enjoyed reading the article. I think the problem ultimately comes down to officiating. Officials don't wish to admit that they can't properly officiate the hurry-up. They don't want to believe that they are a drag on the game. They are, but that's ok. It's not a sin, as the HUNH coaches would have them believe. There are all sorts of outside influences on a game. Coaches and teams have to adjust.

I really enjoyed the substitution remarks in the article. In my opinion, one way around Title IX would have been to go back to one-platoon football. We could have men's wrestling again (if wanted) and teams wouldn't need 20 women's sports to counter the 85 +13 (prev 15) combined men's football/BB schollys. Problem is, College football IS the NFL minor league. It IS a big business and we WILL end up paying players and there WILL be a union.

My dad and I talked a bit about this. Lots of folks might not care about CFB if there weren't a bunch of 300 lb proto pros on the field, but instead, a bunch of safeties and corners like in the 50's and early 60's. But, we would. We'd still want to see Alabama play just as much.

What do we want College football to be? , indeed.
Oh, I did also. After all, I lived through that era. I did, however, amend the thread title to more clearly reflect the content...

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama

Coach Bryant was famous for giving Ken Donahue the first choice of recruits, with a few noticeable exceptions. As for the current situation; the use of an 8th official and letting the officials run the game at their pace appears to be the most likely conclusion.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA

Coach Bryant was famous for giving Ken Donahue the first choice of recruits, with a few noticeable exceptions. As for the current situation; the use of an 8th official and letting the officials run the game at their pace appears to be the most likely conclusion.
That certainly seems to be where Shaw is heading, according to what he's said. It may be that there's a lot of needless hand-wringing going on...

bamapuppy

1st Team
Mar 28, 2008
Hillsborough, NC

One of the issues that I have heard is that adding the 8th official would in fact add a cost to the smaller schools. But, if we just added an official to the power conferences, I am sure that should be a good compromise.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama

From what I have read, it isn't so much about the additional cost but having enough qualified and experienced officials to meet the needs of this move.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.