Changing the Extra Point

BamaBrass

Suspended
Feb 14, 2004
Ringgold, GA
So the NCAA is discussing changes to the extra point. My suggestion: make it a requirement that the ball be snapped from either hash. The angle alone should reduce the percentage of successful extra point. What say you?

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
I've heard the NFL is considering changing the extra point rule, but not the colleges.

While I've never really gotten the concept of why we have an extra point, it is too ingrained into the game to change it. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I've heard the NFL is considering changing the extra point rule, but not the colleges.

While I've never really gotten the concept of why we have an extra point, it is too ingrained into the game to change it. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
They're discussing spotting the ball at the 25, but it's only for the preseason...

PacadermaTideUs

All-American
Dec 10, 2009
Navarre, FL

That's just the thing. Some folks feel that when points are as automatic and as little of a challenge as the PAT is, it is pointless, and therefore is broke. I don't have the 2013 stats on it, but in 2012, among 5,425 FBS attempts, 5,234 (96.5%) were made. That's one miss every 28.4 attempts. One miss every 4.3 games. That's pretty pointless. Why not just make a TD worth 7 and be done with it?

I like the idea of leaving the PAT, but adding a 2pt option from the 20yd line (37yd attempt). Maybe even a 3pt option from the 35 (52yd attempt).

Isaiah 63:1

All-American
Dec 8, 2005
Probably at 35k or in an airport somewhere
Sounds like a solution in search of a problem to me, so I'd tend to leave it alone. If there were to be a change, I like the way rugby does it: wherever you actually score in the end zone, laterally, that's where you kick from. So, a score in the corner is tougher conversion than a score in the middle. I would not favor additional points for longer attempts, but then I resisted the 3-pointer in college basketball as well, so...

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
The only change I'd like to see to the PAT is a requirement that you go for two in the SECOND overtime rather than the third.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
The only change I'd like to see to the PAT is a requirement that you go for two in the SECOND overtime rather than the third.
They wait until the third so each team can have the ball last in overtime. If they were going to go with your suggestion they have to ban the kick altogether in overtime.

Bama2003

1st Team
Dec 8, 2002
Scottsboro, Alabama, United States
So the NCAA is discussing changes to the extra point. My suggestion: make it a requirement that the ball be snapped from either hash. The angle alone should reduce the percentage of successful extra point. What say you?
This subject is nothing but a big joke and like every body else said if it's not broke don't fix it. What part of that does the NCAA not understand!!!!!!!!!

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
If we want to reduce the number of plays in a game to reduce injuries, eliminating the extra point would help. So I would vote for the elimination of the extra point (make a TD worth 7), but allow a team to try for an additional point by running what is currently a 2 point conversion play. If they fail to convert, they lose 1 point (making the TD only worth 6 points). If they convert, the TD + conversion would be worth 8 points.

AUTigers001

1st Team
Feb 3, 2010
If we want to reduce the number of plays in a game to reduce injuries, eliminating the extra point would help. So I would vote for the elimination of the extra point (make a TD worth 7), but allow a team to try for an additional point by running what is currently a 2 point conversion play. If they fail to convert, they lose 1 point (making the TD only worth 6 points). If they convert, the TD + conversion would be worth 8 points.
I think this would interfere with the goal of fewer injuries... it seems more likely than an injury could occur in a rushing attempt than a kicking attempt.

I think they should just leave it alone...

theshow4jsu_13

3rd Team
Apr 13, 2007
Birmingham, AL
www.myspace.com
From what I've read this is the model that the NFL is currently considering. The extra point is automatic, but if you attempt 2 and fail, you go back to six.

I would like to see kickoffs eliminated and go to the format used by the XFL and make 2 players fight for the ball to see who gets possession...

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I think this would interfere with the goal of fewer injuries... it seems more likely than an injury could occur in a rushing attempt than a kicking attempt.

I think they should just leave it alone...
Not sure what you mean. There would be no more rushing plays under this scenario than we see currently, while there would be hundreds of fewer kicking plays every season.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.