3rd Team
Mar 24, 2007
Wilson County
To remember the glory days. Name your Mt. Rushmore of Alabama Basketball

1.Leon Douglas 3 time all american
2.Reggie 'The Mule' King 3 time all american
3.T.R. Dunn 2 time all american

4.Jerry Harper 2 time all american

Harper became the first Crimson Tide player to lead his team in scoring all four years en route to finishing with 1,861 for his career,[SUP][1][/SUP] while his 1,688 career rebounds place him eighth all-time in the history of NCAA Division I men's basketball.[SUP][5][/SUP] Harper was the first player in school history to average 20 or more points per game for a career, and in one game against Kentucky during his senior season, he scored 38 points and grabbed 26 rebounds.[SUP][4][/SUP] That game, which the Crimson Tide won 101–77, was the first time Kentucky had ever allowed 100 or more points.[SUP][4][/SUP]

37bamagreats55

All-American
Apr 1, 2003
Gardendale, AL
I was born in '77. Since I've been a Tide fan, I don't think there was a better player than Antonio Mcdyess. The kid was an absolute monster and athletic freak. I'd have to throw him on there - he was the No. 2 pick in the NBA draft and had a nice pro career (All-Star and Olympian).

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
Incredible question by the original poster.
Almost impossible to answer, which makes for a great thread.
My Dad once told me that the Rocket Eight was our best basketball team of all time. I have no idea about them, other than I know they were very good.
Four? Whooo...
I don't know if there's any way to pick 'em.
I do know this. I was at Bama 74-78. Those were the best basketball teams we've ever had and it's not even close.
Under the current 64 team format all those teams would have been a one or two seed every year.
Unfortunately, at the time, only the conference champ went to the tournament. I remember us finishing the SEC with a 15-3 record, and something like 24-4 overall, a number 4 national ranking, and settling for the N.I.T. because Kentucky went 16-2 in the conference.
All that being said, If I absolutely had to pick four, it would be...
Leon
T.R.
Reggie King
Charles Cleveland

Charles Cleveland was the best basketball player we ever signed.

Very honorable mention to Eddie Phillips, Buck, McKee, Antonio, and Robert. Rickey Brown was also very very good.

Ennis Whatley, to me, was a letdown. He was good, but never great, compared to the hype when he came in.

As I said originally,"Almost impossible to answer".

sip

day-day

Hall of Fame
Jan 2, 2005
Bartlett, TN (Memphis area)
McDyess left after his sophomore season and became a franchise player in the NBA just before his knee injuries. I wouldn't put him on the top 4 because he only played 2 years but he probably ended up being the best player. I had not seen anyone with his size who could jump like he could; he really developed a nice shooting touch as well.

McKey was silky smooth for his size.

James Robinson could take over a game even on the inside with his shooting and jumping (especially before his knee injury).

Sprewell picked up basketball later than most and only played 2 years for Bama out of junior college but also was an all-star level NBA player.

I think sip may be right with the 4 players listed; I'd say Cleveland and Douglas for sure.

I'll go with Horry as one of the four; I think he and Shaquille O'Neal were the first SEC players to have over 100 blocks in a season and Horry could play all over the court. Seemed to have a nagging injury every now and then.

I'll go with Jerry Harper as one of the four as well but never saw him play.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
I really think I would have considered Chuck Davis had he not gotten injured. He was so good down low....it's a shame how it all ended for him.

CrimsonEyeshade

Hall of Fame
Nov 6, 2007
If you are talking about their pro careers, I agree. For performance in a Bama uni, not so sure.
I'm a little older than sip ... My five:

King, Douglas, Hudson, Murray and Dunn.

Second team:

Horry
Whatley
McKey
McDyess
Cleveland

Last edited:

day-day

Hall of Fame
Jan 2, 2005
Bartlett, TN (Memphis area)
yeah, I went by how they performed at Bama, not in the pros. Sprewell really wasn't a big scorer til he hit the NBA, and Horry was much the same.

That's why I mentioned the blocks in an earlier post. It's not just the scoring. I can understand others being placed ahead of him anyway because these were some very good college players. Horry could handle the ball pretty well and pass and score from anywhere on the court. He also shared points with some other good players; but then again, so did some of the other big names being mentioned. I looked up the 91-92 season stats on scoring averages: Robinson 19.4; Sprewell 17.8; Horry 15.8.

I'd like to have any one of the top guys mentioned in this thread (as they were in college) right now.

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.