JessN

Administrator & Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
With 10-second rule gone, get ready for the flop
by Jess Nicholas
TideFans Editor-In-Chief
March 5th, 2014 06:18 PM

. By Jess Nicholas, TideFans.com Editor-In-Chief March 5, 2014   The proposed rule change that would have somewhat curtailed hurry-up, no-huddle (HUNH) offenses’ ability to dictate game pace was pulled off the table Wednesday, a day before a rules oversight committee would have voted on its fate.   HUNH coaches had been united in their […]

Read More Here

uafan4life

Hall of Fame
Mar 30, 2001
Florence, AL
I've often wondered why the defensive linemen playing against a HUNH offense don't regularly go a little bit out of their way to prevent offensive linemen from getting to the line of scrimmage so quickly. As long as you're not blatantly holding them or laying on top of them for 10 seconds after the play is over, it's kind of hard to get a delay of game penalty called on that.

Heck, even the old free-throw trick on the key of stepping on top of the other player's foot and timing it just right should work a few times without getting a tripping or delay penalty called. If you're lucky, maybe the O-Lineman gets mad and shoves the D-Lineman in the back, earning himself a 15-yard penalty. :)

Gr8hope

All-American
Nov 10, 2010
Why not? To quote a few who like the hurry up, "It's legal. What are you afraid of? Don't think you can compete?"
I am so against the changes created by the HUNH I would be in favor of a flop after every play. It would be no more frustrating than the way teams hurry to the line and stop play by looking continuously over to the sideline for signals. I think the best solution is, as previously stated, have the refs dictate the start of another play like in the pro games.

GP for Bama

All-American
Feb 3, 2011
It is no more against the rules to go down when tired, than to do the hunh so you can get away with illegal motion and men down field.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I've read this post twice. I thought I misread it the first time. I thought perhaps Jess was writing in jest....Jess in jest...it has a nice ring. But since the whole article is not in blue font I'll give my take.

I guess I'm in the minority here but I just totally abhor this line of thinking. If a player is really gassed and can't go or if he's injured that is one thing. But the idea of "coaching flops" just isn't what I want to see out of my Alabama Crimson Tide. It is just too sleezy!

Address the problem by better player personel or use a time out to catch your breath, but I'm just not in favor of this way of thinking!

Ok, I said how I feel. You are welcome to fire away!

uafan4life

Hall of Fame
Mar 30, 2001
Florence, AL
I've read this post twice. I thought I misread it the first time. I thought perhaps Jess was writing in jest....Jess in jest...it has a nice ring. But since the whole article is not in blue font I'll give my take.

I guess I'm in the minority here but I just totally abhor this line of thinking. If a player is really gassed and can't go or if he's injured that is one thing. But the idea of "coaching flops" just isn't what I want to see out of my Alabama Crimson Tide. It is just too sleezy!

Address the problem by better player personel or use a time out to catch your breath, but I'm just not in favor of this way of thinking!

Ok, I said how I feel. You are welcome to fire away!

I don't think anyone particularly likes the idea of it.

However, if offensive coaches are going to exploit the rules in an admitted attempt to both gain a tactical advantage over the defensive coaches by preventing substitutions as well as get away with certain penalties, e.g. motion, alignment, linemen down-field, etc., then the defensive coaches have to respond somehow. And the latter is a much more important issue than the first, in my opinion.

If the rules committee(s) and/or officials won't take official action to ensure proper pace of play, ignoring the potential player safety aspect for the moment, so that the existing rules can be fairly and properly enforced then the defensive coaches will have to do something to slow the pace down at times. And, unfortunately, there aren't nearly enough timeouts for that to be an effective method. So, the only options left to the defensive coaches are, one, having players commit intentional penalties in order to stop the clock - which has a very obvious down-side - and, two, having players force the officials to stop the clock by going down.

So, what would you prefer...
...to have the defensive coaches and officials do nothing and continue to allow these offenses to intentionally, regularly get away with uncalled offensive penalties?
...or to have defensive players committing intentional fouls in order to stop the clock, giving away field position and risking personal fouls and/or ejections?
...or to have defensive players hit the ground, aka "flop", when they need to leave the field but aren't being allowed to do so by the actions of the offense?

Take your pick.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
So, what would you prefer...
...to have the defensive coaches and officials do nothing and continue to allow these offenses to intentionally, regularly get away with uncalled offensive penalties?
...or to have defensive players committing intentional fouls in order to stop the clock, giving away field position and risking personal fouls and/or ejections?
...or to have defensive players hit the ground, aka "flop", when they need to leave the field but aren't being allowed to do so by the actions of the offense?
Take your pick.
I don't know the answer...I understand the complications...I just don't like the current options and the one being discussed is "faking an injury."

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
I don't know the answer...I understand the complications...I just don't like the current options and the one being discussed is "faking an injury."
Here are the answers.

1. Stop allowing the officials to cater to the pace of the offense.
2. Stop changing and manipulating the rules to handcuff defenses and benefit the offense.

The HUNH isn't the problem. The HUNH is taking advantage of consequences the competition committee has created in the game by constantly changing the rules to hinder the defense and help the offense.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Kinda wish these threads were merged.

But I agree with the ruling body getting more creative with how to bring some balance to what seems to be a tilted situation for the offense.

I'm fully on board with that and not proposing nothing needs to happen.

My opposition is just to the idea of faking injuries. That is one way to get the clock stopped and player substituted, but it's just too sleezy for me.

pigsinspace

1st Team
Jan 26, 2011
Not only will more players flop, they will be coached to flop in the right places to force a timeout. If there is a big defensive lineman rolling around on the ground holding his knee somewhere that blocks the offense from lining up, then what else can the refs do but stop the clock? I'm not saying Bama will do it, but a lot of lesser teams will do it. The ultimate solution is twofold. The officials must control the game, not the HUNH coach yelling at them, and defenses will adapt. When the one dimensional HUNH gets shut down, then most teams will move on to the next trendy offense

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Really want Saban to get the defense to flop on every single play against Ole Miss, A&M, and Auburn. When asked about it by the media, he can simply say "Hugh/Kevin/Gus was right. Our big boys aren't in shape. Something Cochran needs to fix."

RollTide1224

All-American
Feb 18, 2008
Spartanburg, SC
Really want Saban to get the defense to flop on every single play against Ole Miss, A&M, and Auburn. When asked about it by the media, he can simply say "Hugh/Kevin/Gus was right. Our big boys aren't in shape. Something Cochran needs to fix."
Thank you, I was wondering what I should wish for before bed tonight. Really if the defensive coaches acted as ridiculous as the hunh coaches do it would be quite a scene.

gmart74

Hall of Fame
Oct 9, 2005
Baltimore, Md
I don't really understand using the flop to slow the game down. I think a much better technique would be to wait until the center puts his hand on the ball, then the nose tackle or MLB immediately forearm shivers him out of the way and plants the QB. They get 5 yds (which they probably would have gotten anyway if we are sucking wind), the ref takes 30 secs to a minute calling the penalty and marking it off, and we get a break with a chance to sub. As long as no one gets thrown out of the game I'd say it would work great.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.