Proposed 10 second rule change shelved.

JessN

Administrator & Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Re: "Saban Rule" Now Dead For This Year

Get ready for defensive coaches to start coaching the flop. If HUNH is built partially to pressure the refs into making bad calls, let defensive coaches pressure them into becoming doctors and deciding who's really hurt and who isn't. I call that innovation.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Easier to coach the flop than the 10 second defensive substitutions. :wink:

jthomas666

Hall of Fame
Aug 14, 2002
Birmingham & Warner Robins
Really, it was not a well-considered rule. The easiest problem to illustrate is the question of officials being in position; that can be addressed by requiring that all officials must be in place and set for three seconds before the ball may be marked for play. It does not address all the issues, but it does address the main one, and gives the defense a few extra seconds to collect themselves.

fralo4tide

1st Team
Jun 4, 2009
Pensacola, FL
Worried about the future of the game I am. I despite the HUNH coaches speaking of their style as an "innovation". Balloon juice! It is not innovation when you drastically change what the sport has been built upon since it's inception; that is, where men line up and attempt to physically whip the one staring them in the face. I fear I may have to jump ship if and when it turns into soccer.

BigBama76

Suspended
Oct 26, 2011
Atlanta, GA
I guess Coach Saban and Kirby Smart will just have to come up with a way to stop it cold. Maybe they need to call on some of the old timers for advice.

A lot of high schools I played against in high school were running some type of option back then including the wishbone and we never had a problem stopping them. I know that's not exactly what the HUNH tries to do.

If you look back at the stats you'll see quite a few games where Bama's option attack was shut down during the 70's heyday.

AUTigers001

1st Team
Feb 3, 2010
Worried about the future of the game I am. I despite the HUNH coaches speaking of their style as an "innovation". Balloon juice! It is not innovation when you drastically change what the sport has been built upon since it's inception; that is, where men line up and attempt to physically whip the one staring them in the face. I fear I may have to jump ship if and when it turns into soccer.
I wonder if people felt this way when the forward pass was introduced to the sport...

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
The forward pass fundamentally changed football.
I don't mind hurry up offenses. What I don't like are the offenses that rush up to the LOS and then don't hurry up. Instead they look to the sidelines for a play call before running a play. There is no attempt to hurry the next snap. It is a ruse.

IMO, if you support the idea that an offense can employ such a ruse simply because it is within the rules, you should all support the defensive player flops - also a ruse, and also within the rules. Right?

AUTigers001

1st Team
Feb 3, 2010
I don't mind hurry up offenses. What I don't like are the offenses that rush up to the LOS and then don't hurry up. Instead they look to the sidelines for a play call before running a play. There is no attempt to hurry the next snap. It is a ruse.

IMO, if you support the idea that an offense can employ such a ruse simply because it is within the rules, you should all support the defensive player flops - also a ruse, and also within the rules. Right?
Since there is no huddle, some teams (like Auburn) get the play from the sideline. I don't know that it's necessarily a 'ruse'. Rarely do they wait until 2 or 3 seconds on the play clock to snap the ball. The pace of play is faster than teams that actually huddle.

I'll say this about 'flopping'... if a player becomes too exhausted to continue, then he should take a knee. If he's hurt, he should remain on the ground.

I tend to think that if the NCAA changed the way that the clock runs (see rgw's posts on thisin another thread - he has said it much better than I could) it would alleviate much of the criticism while not infringing on HUNH as a strategy. A team could still employ that offense and, more than lkely (with good execution), get more snaps than their 'traditional(?)' opponent -- therefore more opportunity for offensive scoring than their opponent.

I'm not totally against ANY change --- but the 10 second proposal, in my opinion, isn't the best option.

OUSooners75

Suspended
Feb 19, 2014
Yeah, and if teams in the 1930's didnt "innovate" the forward pass then the game wouldn't look like it does today.

Face it, teams against the HUNH are teams out of shape and "3-yards-and-a-cloud-of-dust" type teams.

OUSooners75

Suspended
Feb 19, 2014
The HUNH crowd wants to fundamentally change football ..... There already exists the sport they want football to become ....... It's called rugby.
How does the HUNH fundamentally change football? And Rugby is completely different, try watching it sometime.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.