NCAA to allow widespread usage of eight-man officiating crews

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
This may be the answer, but with either 7 or 8 officials it is imperative that they are set for each snap and ultimately they must control the pace of play. I suppose au, tamu and om will object to the SEC using an 8th official.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
This is great news. I look forward to seeing how this impacts the game.

colbysullivan

Hall of Fame
Dec 12, 2007
Gulf Breeze, FL
This may be the answer, but with either 7 or 8 officials it is imperative that they are set for each snap and ultimately they must control the pace of play. I suppose au, tamu and om will object to the SEC using an 8th official.

Heresy! Only the good and noble offense may control the pace of play!

bamaslammer

All-American
Jan 8, 2003
Argo, AL, St Clair
www.kirkwoodhouse.com
I think the ref's need to take a look at what the no huddle teams are getting away with and make a special effort to try and catch that stuff. Finding a way to break the rules and not get caught does not make it OK to break the rules. You're still a cheater either way.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I thought interesting that Shaw, in his recent remarks, not only commented on the factor of fatigue on the players. He also mentioned the fatigue factor with the officials. In addition, he said instant replay officials were not being given enough time to do their job. I sense change coming...

AUTigers001

1st Team
Feb 3, 2010

Heresy! Only the good and noble offense may control the pace of play!
I see by the blue font that you're joking, but offense DOES control pace of play, whether fast or slow.

By the way... rather than quote GrayTide in another post, I don't object to the 8th official. I don't think many people will object.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I see by the blue font that you're joking, but offense DOES control pace of play, whether fast or slow.

By the way... rather than quote GrayTide in another post, I don't object to the 8th official. I don't think many people will object.
I would quibble with that opening statement. Offense does indeed control pace of play, but most here feel that it should be "within limits." Where those limits should lie is the crux of our disagreement. Beyond that, when pace of play is used to try to prevent the rules of play being fairly enforced is where I draw the line. The 8th official, depending on where he's assigned, will be a solution to at least that part of the problem...

AUTigers001

1st Team
Feb 3, 2010
I would quibble with that opening statement. Offense does indeed control pace of play, but most here feel that it should be "within limits." Where those limits should lie is the crux of our disagreement. Beyond that, when pace of play is used to try to prevent the rules of play being fairly enforced is where I draw the line. The 8th official, depending on where he's assigned, will be a solution to at least that part of the problem...
I can respect that, Earl. However, I think we might also disagree that 'pace of play' is used to get awaywith infractions of current rules. I don't think that's a goal of the offense. Maybe I read too much into your statement, but the way it's worded implies (to me) that you think it is a goal of HUNH offenses.

Last edited:

gman4tide

All-SEC
Nov 21, 2005
Flint Creek
It may not be the goal, but it sure is used to their advantage. I dare say 75% of the plays run by hunh offenses have illegal motion/procedure. Most every center, after grasping the football, either puts a knee to the ground or turns half way around to see/hear the calls. All the while moving the football. Bout like the center for uf a few years ago holding moving his arm to signal the snap. It all falls under illegal procedure...but I guess those "gassed" officials are too busy wiping their brow to see it. :rolleye2:

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
I can respect that, Earl. However, I think we might also disagree that 'pace of play' is used to get awaywith infractions of current rules. I don't think that's a goal of the offense. Maybe I read too much into your statement, but the way it's worded implies (to me) that you think it is a goal of HUNH offenses.
Speaking for myself here, not Earle.

I don't think non-enforcement of existing rules is the goal of the HU.

I do think it is a very much intentional side benefit, and is exploited to the fullest degree possible.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
I recall briefly watching some Big XII game last year and the 8th official was to the side and rearward of the umpire who is pretty much in the middle of the field behind the DL. His main responsibility was to get the football after the play was over and set it before the referee chopped the ball in play. And as I recall Steve Shaw was commenting on the age and stamina of the officials and their ability to keep up.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I recall briefly watching some Big XII game last year and the 8th official was to the side and rearward of the umpire who is pretty much in the middle of the field behind the DL. His main responsibility was to get the football after the play was over and set it before the referee chopped the ball in play. And as I recall Steve Shaw was commenting on the age and stamina of the officials and their ability to keep up.
True. Apparently the conferences will be allowed to use the extra man how they wish. I would imagine that the Big 12 would probably utilize him differently than Shaw would, judging from Steve's remarks...

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas
Speaking for myself here, not Earle.

I don't think non-enforcement of existing rules is the goal of the HU.

I do think it is a very much intentional side benefit, and is exploited to the fullest degree possible.
I don't think that was the original intent, but it didn't take long for certain teams (won't mention API by name) who quickly latched on to that unintended consequence, and now exploit it for all it is worth.

AgentAntiOrange

1st Team
Dec 30, 2009
Norman, OK
I also do not think this was ever an intention of the HUNH. It is unlikely that any coach could have foreseen, much less banked on, the idea that faster play would mean officials missing calls. IMHO, this whole mess is a result of officials not taking control and ensuring that the integrity of the game come first. I think they felt/feel pressure to keep up with the offensive player and they feel the pressure from coaches screaming for them to hurry up and set the ball. I also doubt very highly that any coach or team, Auburn included, would switch to this offense based on the idea that they'll get a few extra no calls per game.

Rather, I think that the HUNH just breaks the whole system down. It creates a bit of chaos and I think that players and refs both fall into it. Defensive players are suddenly exhausted, refs are missing calls, and offensive lineman are often down field way too early. This all sounds to me like mental fatigue, not physical. Not saying that the HUNH doesn't cause physical fatigue....obviously it does. But IMHO it's the mental fatigue that causes most of the problems for defenses and refs.

gman4tide

All-SEC
Nov 21, 2005
Flint Creek
"But IMHO it's the mental fatigue that causes most of the problems for defenses and refs." And if i understand Coach Saban correctly, its this "mental fatigue" that leads to bad mechanics, which leads to more injuries.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

narddogg81

BamaNation Citizen
Mar 18, 2012
I also do not think this was ever an intention of the HUNH. It is unlikely that any coach could have foreseen, much less banked on, the idea that faster play would mean officials missing calls. IMHO, this whole mess is a result of officials not taking control and ensuring that the integrity of the game come first. I think they felt/feel pressure to keep up with the offensive player and they feel the pressure from coaches screaming for them to hurry up and set the ball. I also doubt very highly that any coach or team, Auburn included, would switch to this offense based on the idea that they'll get a few extra no calls per game.

Rather, I think that the HUNH just breaks the whole system down. It creates a bit of chaos and I think that players and refs both fall into it. Defensive players are suddenly exhausted, refs are missing calls, and offensive lineman are often down field way too early. This all sounds to me like mental fatigue, not physical. Not saying that the HUNH doesn't cause physical fatigue....obviously it does. But IMHO it's the mental fatigue that causes most of the problems for defenses and refs.
i propose a new rule. any offensive coach that speaks to a ref complaining about pace of play or pressuring them to move faster than is conducive to officiating the game fairly is immediately ejected from the game. second offense they are ejected from all remaining games of the season.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.