NCAA to allow widespread usage of eight-man officiating crews

JessN

Administrator & Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
I see by the blue font that you're joking, but offense DOES control pace of play, whether fast or slow.

By the way... rather than quote GrayTide in another post, I don't object to the 8th official. I don't think many people will object.
The defense can force a complete shutdown to pace by working the injury timeout rules to their advantage. And it wouldn't even take actually faking the injury, just have exhausted players lie down instead of trying to double-time it to the sideline to catch a blow.

And my bet is you'll see quite a bit of it.

TheRealPokeChop

Hall of Fame
Jul 7, 2010
Hueytown, Al
This is probably a better solution than the 10 second rule considering 10 seconds does the defense few favors and still does not answer ref fatigue. Auburn run the oline down field and throw the ball plays have to stop.

pigsinspace

1st Team
Jan 26, 2011
i propose a new rule. any offensive coach that speaks to a ref complaining about pace of play or pressuring them to move faster than is conducive to officiating the game fairly is immediately ejected from the game. second offense they are ejected from all remaining games of the season.
By all means flag coaches who are yelling who knows what at the officials to force them to speed up the tempo. If they bring the integrity and impartiality of the officiating crew into question, it is fifteen yards for unsportsmanlike conduct since the HUNH coaches are trying to make the officials be partial to their offense through their harassment to speed up play. I suspect that players do it too, so flag them as well. Keep it up, and they get ejected. Throw in a loss of down for each offense because it is the Head Coach.

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham
Rest assured regardless of where Shaw decides to put that eighth referee he will face criticism. His Alabama sheepskin guarantees that.

I firmly believe the HUNH offenses are utilized to avoid penalties. Remember this offense came about from lesser talented, and smaller, teams trying to get an edge over more talented teams. What better way to do that than to break the rules and not get penalties called?

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Rest assured regardless of where Shaw decides to put that eighth referee he will face criticism. His Alabama sheepskin guarantees that.

I firmly believe the HUNH offenses are utilized to avoid penalties. Remember this offense came about from lesser talented, and smaller, teams trying to get an edge over more talented teams. What better way to do that than to break the rules and not get penalties called?
And - don't forget Shaw's remark about it's making replay impossible. I think the climate's about to change in the SEC. I don't put too much importance on the straw poll the NCAA conducted on the use of the ten second rule. I think it certainly had a number of voters who use the HUNH (or would like to move to it), but I think that a large contingent (I'm one) just didn't think it was the right approach. And, then, I think Saban's hegemony played in, also. (If'n he's fur it, then, dammit, I'm agin it.)

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I agree with many of the reasons why pace of play is a concern.

But to be fully transparent, I think we need to admit that the HUNH is a philosphy that challenges CNS's defensive style to the fullest extent.

CNS and CKM love to have the TIME to see how the offense is set up and then to signal in a defensive adjustment that is implemented very late in the 30 second clock.

This is one of the reasons we are seeing fewer corner blitzes, like we used to see, when CNS had the time and opportunity to dial it up.

I agree with many of the reasons why pace of play is a concern.

But to be fully transparent, I think we need to admit that the HUNH is a philosphy that challenges CNS's defensive style to the fullest extent.

CNS and CKM love to have the TIME to see how the offense is set up and then to signal in a defensive adjustment that is implemented very late in the 30 second clock.

This is one of the reasons we are seeing fewer corner blitzes, like we used to see, when CNS had the time and opportunity to dial it up.
I agree. It really does challenge, but it challenges everyone. I'm sure we will catch up to it. It's just infuriating right now.i wonder if they'll create a package for it. The offense also has to keep their offense off the field as well.

Sent from my iPhone

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.