DT on College Football HOF ballot.... AGAIN

37bamagreats55

All-American
Apr 1, 2003
Gardendale, AL
I noticed Bryan Bosworth on the ballot. If he makes it in before DT, what an absolute shame that would. DT spoke with his play, Bosworth spoke with his mouth.

Absolute shame DT's not already in. Matter of fact, the majority of writers that see his name on the ballot are shocked he's not already in.....

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Excuse the poorly written article and several obvious blunders......

Hope DT gets in ..... way past due!!!

Shaun Alexander is Bama's all-time leading rusher with 3,065 yards. The writer also fails to mention any dates -- when are ballots due? when will class be announced? etc, etc.

http://www.al.com/alabamafootball/index.ssf/2014/03/derrick_thomas_on_college_foot.html
First, look at the yardage he uses for Bobby. He uses his all-purpose yardage total but labels it as his rushing total. In all-purpose yardage, Bobby is #1.

Second, click the link at the bottom to find some of that information. I did and found out this:

The 2014 College Football Hall of Fame Class will be announced in May from Irving, Texas, and they will be inducted at the 57th NFF Annual Awards Dinner Dec. 9, 2014 at the landmark Waldorf Astoria Hotel in New York City. The inductees will be permanently enshrined in the new College Football Hall of Fame at a date to be determined in 2015. The new Hall, currently under construction, will open in Atlanta in time for the 2014 college football season.
When the ballots are due isn't listed in the NFF's press release. Don't blame Casagrande for not knowing that since the press release is where he gets the info.

37bamagreats55

All-American
Apr 1, 2003
Gardendale, AL
First, look at the yardage he uses for Bobby. He uses his all-purpose yardage total but labels it as his rushing total. In all-purpose yardage, Bobby is #1.

Second, click the link at the bottom to find some of that information. I did and found out this:

When the ballots are due isn't listed in the NFF's press release. Don't blame Casagrande for not knowing that since the press release is where he gets the info.

He's edited the article since it was first posted and it's still wrong. He initially said Humphrey was the all-time leading rusher until Trent Richardson broke the record. Now, the article reads that his 4,985 yards is atop the career rushing board. I don't know what he's intending since it's his "story", I just know that it's wrong.

He's a beat reporter for the largest paper in the state. I'd expect a little homework and perhaps a phone call to the CFHOF to find out a little information. If he's only going to report what's on the release, why not just copy the release and omit his byline?

For myself, and perhaps others on this board who have been waiting for several years, I think it's important to know when the class will be announced.... after going on an internet search engine, I found out the class will be named in May.

Last edited:

RT3413

All-American
Sep 14, 2004
Atlanta, GA
He'll get in. Ensures a huge crowd for the first induction ceremony to be held at the new HOF in Atlanta.
Actually, and quite sadly, I think this isn't the case and is exactly why he hasn't been put in yet. He's not here to campaign, to be seen making speeches and appearances and won't be part of the dais to attract a crowd. That being said, with the Bama game the same weekend as the induction ceremonies and the POTENTIAL (doubtful based on what I've seen of the site) opening SOMEONE from Bama is likely to get inducted.

bilbo

Pro Sports Moderator
Oct 13, 1999
Gulf Shores, AL
There's a facebook group petitioning to get DT in the CF HOF that's been around for awhile. Do a search for it and join

glasscutter256

All-American
Jan 31, 2009
Huntsville
Hoping the ESPN "Football for Life" special will help his cause. That was a great film that showed not only his on-the-field prowress, but also his off-the-field giving heart. Between all of the charity and impacting young people's lives and his records which still stand today, (TFL and sacks) it will be a huge travesty if they don't vote him in.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
Hoping the ESPN "Football for Life" special will help his cause. That was a great film that showed not only his on-the-field prowress, but also his off-the-field giving heart. Between all of the charity and impacting young people's lives and his records which still stand today, (TFL and sacks) it will be a huge travesty if they don't vote him in.
It was a great show special but I believe it was the NFL Network that did it.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
How in the world is this guy NOT in the college football HOF?

This one still boggles my mind. There have not been THAT many other great players that he's behind.

My goodness. It's sorta like if a saint version of Ray Lewis was not in the Pro Hall. DT may or may not be the greatest linebacker ever, but he's certainly in the discussion college-wise.

37bamagreats55

All-American
Apr 1, 2003
Gardendale, AL
How in the world is this guy NOT in the college football HOF?
Exactly. It's quite the slap in the face to DT. I'd like one person in the know to give one legitimate reason why he's not there. The guy dominated the game, was an All-American, Butkis Award winner and one of the most feared players at his position ALL TIME.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
The amazing thing about DT not being in the HOF: every media member acts surprised/stunned/shocked when he isn't inducted. I haven't heard someone against him getting inducted.

tidefanbeezer

All-American
Sep 25, 2006
Atlanta, GA
It's already been said several times, but I'll say it again.

The more I remember, read and rewatch of DT, the more unbelievable it becomes that he is not already in the HOF. At least the NFL got it right.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
I've posted this story before but since DT has come up again I will tell it again.

A close friend of mine was a student and very good friends with many of the players. At the time, Derrick was a freshman and Cornelius Bennett was the big man on campus and All American. My friend was pumping up Biscuit to his player friends and how great he was. The players told him that Biscuit is a great LB but wait until you see this freshman named Derrick Thomas. They said none of the OL could block him with his speed and instincts. My friend told them this kid may be good but he can't be better than Biscuit and they said wait and see. I know Biscuit was a great player but DT was better IMO.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.