Ingram to Become a Larger Part of the Saints Offense?

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Since this is the off season, not sure if this is allowed here. Not much action on the Pro-Sports board and thought that Tide fans might be interested:

Looks like the Saints are up against the salary cap and are looking to solve some of their problems by trading a few of their RBs - and Ingram is not among those who might be traded because of the hit to the cap that his trade would represent.

I hope that this means good things for Ingram. He played very well late last season when everyone else was injured and he got more than 15 carries/game. I think that this will be his last season to show something or he will be left behind by younger backs with smaller paychecks.

Here is the article: Report: Saints open to trading Thomas, Sproles, Moore

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap20...en-to-trading-thomas-sproles-moore-per-report

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
I hope so. I'll just believe it when I see it - because of Payton's offensive philosophy. I think he loathes to run the ball at all sometimes. But, if they are getting rid of some of the other backs, at least Ingram's carries should go up.

I believe he can be an all-pro back if he stays healthy and gets the right kind of involvement in the offense.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
As engineer stated the saints offense isn't going to allow any true running back the opportunity to shine. Mark needs to get out of that organization as fast as he can. They look at the run blocking about the same as Auburn looks at running a clean program.

Last edited:

BigEasyTider

FB | REC Moderator
Nov 27, 2007
Ingram's touches and production figure to go up pretty substantially if he can stay healthy (which has always been his problem in NOLA), and obviously that will only be more so next season if Thomas and Moore aren't around.

Frankly, though, his selection by the Saints was always a poor fit and a bad decision on their part. Why should a pass-happy team ever spend a first round draft pick -- even a late first rounder -- on a tailback in the modern NFL, especially when they already had a couple of relatively young, productive guys on the roster, plus a defined role for a scat back in the passing game (i.e. Bush and later Sproles)? It's just a waste, and frankly it ended up harming both the team and the player.

Ingram is still relatively young, and will only turn 25 late next season. He probably has three to five decent years left, so hopefully he can get somewhere soon that is a better fit for his talents.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
Losing Pierre Thomas only makes sense. He's a solid running back, but nothing spectacular and the Saints have depth at the position. It's still not ideal for Ingram, but this situation could lead to them using their running backs in a a slightly more traditional role.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Since this is the off season, not sure if this is allowed here. Not much action on the Pro-Sports board and thought that Tide fans might be interested:

Looks like the Saints are up against the salary cap and are looking to solve some of their problems by trading a few of their RBs - and Ingram is not among those who might be traded because of the hit to the cap that his trade would represent.

I hope that this means good things for Ingram. He played very well late last season when everyone else was injured and he got more than 15 carries/game. I think that this will be his last season to show something or he will be left behind by younger backs with smaller paychecks.

Here is the article: Report: Saints open to trading Thomas, Sproles, Moore

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap20...en-to-trading-thomas-sproles-moore-per-report
We've always allowed following former Tide players in the offseason...

cuddlemonkey

BamaNation Citizen
Aug 5, 2011
Mobile, AL
As engineer stated the saints offense isn't going to allow any true running the opportunity to shine. Mark needs to get out of that organization as fast as he can. They look at the run blocking about the same as Auburn looks at running a clean program.
That's not entirely true. During their Super Bowl season (2009), the Saints were 6th in the league in RuYPG, tied for 5th in YPA, and tied for 3rd in RuTD (one behind the league leaders). They were again top 7 in all three categories at the end of the 2011 season.

While the offensive philosophy is clearly one that promotes passing first, Payton has shown the willingness to run the ball 25+ times per game over the course of an entire season.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
The saints do not stick with one back long enough to make it worth Ingram staying. Maybe in selected years they've (in total) run the ball. But how they run the ball isn't good for Ingram. He needs to get out of NO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cuddlemonkey

BamaNation Citizen
Aug 5, 2011
Mobile, AL
like others have said, that offense doesnt favor 1 RB.. you may break off a good run then be rotated out for another RB. Thats normally how Payton utilizes his Rb's.
It's very much a RBBC approach, though I think Payton wants to be able to make Ingram more of a feature back. The second half of last season was his first truly healthy stretch since entering the league and it showed not only in his rushing performance but also the attempt to incorporate him into the screen game some more, a place where Pierre Thomas and Darren Sproles already excel. The offense was generally predictable when Ingram was in as the single back.

bamacon

Hall of Fame
Apr 11, 2008
College Football's Mecca, Tuscaloosa
The Saints selected Ingram precisely for the reason that he's been a victim of, injuries. Before he was selected they were having the hardest problem with injuries to RB. MI had been so reliable that they thought he would be their "healthy horse". Ironic he'd go there and never be 100%. He is now and they see why they drafted him. I think he will be featured much more if healthy. If he does real good he'll likely get a new team next year. Actually, he's almost a lock for a new team regardless of what he does. The Not For Long has gone away from the RB years ago. The pays system lets them lock in RBs for three years and dump them. I'd say the RBs have truly been the most harmed by the most recent Cb deal.

WMack4Bama

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 7, 2008
Tuscaloosa, AL
Just as an update, the Saints have released Sproles & Moore. I'm really shocked that they let Sproles go. He was Brees's safety valve for his first two years there. He got a concussion early last season and was never really the same. Right now, what they have is essentially 3 of the same backs in Thomas, Ingram, and Khiry Robinson who they seem to REALLY be high on.

I think last season was Ingram's year to prove whether or not he was their guy. They made a conscious effort to commit to and stay with the run, almost like they were trying to make him trade bait. He showed flashes, specifically against a depleted Dallas defense, but there was always something. In the playoff games vs. Philly & Seattle,he was inconsistent. He started strong against Philly but seemed to stop trusting his o-line somewhere along the way. He started REALLY strong vs. Seattle and then after an unfortunate fumble, all the carries thereafter seemed to go to Khiry Robinson.

So it's not guarantee that the departure of Sproles will mean an increased role for Ingram. In fact, I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if they trade Ingram during the draft. I know for certain that he absolutely loves New Orleans (the organization, the fans, and the city), but that offense doesn't do much to feature his best talents.

Personally, I think an offense that runs (or attempts to run) downhill would suit him better. Some places that I think would work well for him: Miami, Atlanta (who desperately needs consistency at RB), Oakland.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I would love to see Ingram and/or Richardson play in the NY Giants offense. That team really likes to ride a hot RB, even with Eli at QB. That said, with Gilbride gone, who knows what the NY Giants offense will look like next year.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.