Top 10 Packers of all time

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
This may should be on the pro sports board but had a lot of Bama flavor. Mods please move if you wish. The NFL network had the top 10 Green Bay Packers of all time and #3 was Bart Starr who was not a great college player but great pro. #2 was Brett Farve who I thought would definitely be #1. #1 was Bama grad Don Hutson. Many of the people commentating on him said he may possibly be the best player ever and may be the best WR ever including Jerry Rice. They said in an era he was playing in most WR stopped and caught the ball and then ran. They said Hutson was the first receiver who caught ball on the run and would outrun people with his amazing speed. For those that don't know, Hutson was teammates with Coach Bryant when they played together at Bama.

PacadermaTideUs

All-American
Dec 10, 2009
Navarre, FL
Records held as of retirement
Note: * = remains an NFL record.

• Most seasons led league, scoring: 5*
  • Most consecutive seasons led league, scoring: 5*
  • Most points scored in a quarter: 29*
  • Most touchdowns scored in a quarter: 4*
  • Most touchdown receptions in a quarter: 4*
  • Most seasons led league, touchdowns: 8*
  • Most consecutive seasons led league, touchdowns: 4*
  • Most seasons led league, receiving touchdowns: 9*
  • Most consecutive seasons led league, receiving touchdowns: 5*
  • Most seasons led league, receptions: 8*
  • Most consecutive seasons led league, receptions: 5*
  • Most seasons led league, receiving yards: 7*
  • Most consecutive seasons led league, receiving yards: 4*
  • Most receptions, career: 488
  • Most receptions, season: 74
  • Most receptions, game: 14
  • Most receiving yards, career: 7,991
  • Most receiving yards, season: 1,211
  • Most receiving yards, game: 209
  • Most receiving touchdowns, career: 99
  • Most touchdowns, season: 17
  • Most touchdowns, game: 4

Source: Wikipedia

Last edited:

WMack4Bama

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 7, 2008
Tuscaloosa, AL
God bless Don Hutson. Roll Tide. I've heard a couple of people whom I respect a great deal (including SI's Peter King) make their (very solid & compelling) arguments of why he's the greatest WR to ever play. But I've said here and anywhere anyone will listen to me, Jerry Rice is the greatest player to ever lace up cleats. I refuse to hear anything to the contrary, as it is blasphemy, and will challenge anyone that disagrees to fisticuffs outside. :)

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
God bless Don Hutson. Roll Tide. I've heard a couple of people whom I respect a great deal (including SI's Peter King) make their (very solid & compelling) arguments of why he's the greatest WR to ever play. But I've said here and anywhere anyone will listen to me, Jerry Rice is the greatest player to ever lace up cleats. I refuse to hear anything to the contrary, as it is blasphemy, and will challenge anyone that disagrees to fisticuffs outside. :)
If I'm not mistaken Hutson helped invent a lot of modern passing patterns. It is stunning the amount of records he held and the length of time he held them. That said, yeah it don't know if I could rank him ahead of Rice. Perhaps he and Rice would be on my all time team together.

CullmanTide

Hall of Fame
Jan 7, 2008
Cullman, Al
This may should be on the pro sports board but had a lot of Bama flavor. Mods please move if you wish. The NFL network had the top 10 Green Bay Packers of all time and #3 was Bart Starr who was not a great college player but great pro. #2 was Brett Farve who I thought would definitely be #1. #1 was Bama grad Don Hutson. Many of the people commentating on him said he may possibly be the best player ever and may be the best WR ever including Jerry Rice. They said in an era he was playing in most WR stopped and caught the ball and then ran. They said Hutson was the first receiver who caught ball on the run and would outrun people with his amazing speed. For those that don't know, Hutson was teammates with Coach Bryant when they played together at Bama.
I'd take Bart Starr over Bret Favre any day. Starr is a true legend, Favre not so much.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
I'd take Bart Starr over Bret Favre any day. Starr is a true legend, Favre not so much.
Starr was a very good player but did not have great stats. More of a "game manager" (I did not say that AJ). On the show they said Bart never threw for more than 2500 yds or more than 20 TD's in a season. They just won playing smashmouth football running Taylor and Hourning and then Bart would play fake and burn you. Brett was a 3 time MVP and broke all sorts of records but only won one championship compared to 5 for Bart. Some of the commentators argued Starr was better than Brett also so you are not alone.

And I agree Rice was the best WR of all time but would have loved to have seen Hutson play in person at the time.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
Once you get to the top three you could interchange any of them for number one and have a good case. People like to rail against Favre but the dude pretty much single handed resurrected an entire organization from decades of ineptness then carried them to greatness and kept them a top NFL team for a long time. And did it with not so great wr's. Number of championships is something that I go back and forth with in regards to how high weigh them when determining the greatness of an individual player. Since championships take a complete team effort. Favre threw some dastardly int's but also pulled so many games out of the "L" column simply by his free style play.

I'll also say it's hard to compare players from different era's. Joe Montana said it best when asked during superbowl week who was the greatest. His response was basically and I'll paraphrase "I don't think you can compare players from different eras because quarterbacks that played in the time before me played under rules that made it harder to pass. Quarterbacks in today's game have an easier game to pass in. The rules are structured to make it easier to pass."

I think Joe hit the nail on the head.

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
Don't forget though, Jerry Rice said he thought Don Hutson was the best of all time. He said something like, "I was a very good receiver. Don Hutson completely changed the future of football"

TitleWave

All-American
Dec 3, 2012
Where did they put Rich Wingo in the Packing order?

Hutson blossomed at 'Bama because "the other end" drew triple coverage. OK, so at least he wasn't left all alone - you'd best not dis Bear Bryant like that.

Granted, passing offenses were still in their relative infancy, but on old films from the NFL Hutson gets more separation than just about any receiver I've ever seen, and apparently the hands had the same magic.

davefrat

Hall of Fame
Jun 4, 2002
Hopewell, VA
he's legitimately in the discussion as the greatest player to ever play the game.

CullmanTide

Hall of Fame
Jan 7, 2008
Cullman, Al
Starr was a very good player but did not have great stats. More of a "game manager" (I did not say that AJ). On the show they said Bart never threw for more than 2500 yds or more than 20 TD's in a season. They just won playing smashmouth football running Taylor and Hourning and then Bart would play fake and burn you. Brett was a 3 time MVP and broke all sorts of records but only won one championship compared to 5 for Bart. Some of the commentators argued Starr was better than Brett also so you are not alone.

And I agree Rice was the best WR of all time but would have loved to have seen Hutson play in person at the time.
Starr was a childhood hero of mine, so I suppose that's part of the reason I'd pick him. He was such a great leader and I respected how he carried himself off the field. Oddly enough, it had nothing to do with him playing at Alabama. I was just becoming a fan of the game and it just happened to be a coincidence. Like Namath, I never saw him play at Bama.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
Starr was a childhood hero of mine, so I suppose that's part of the reason I'd pick him. He was such a great leader and I respected how he carried himself off the field. Oddly enough, it had nothing to do with him playing at Alabama. I was just becoming a fan of the game and it just happened to be a coincidence. Like Namath, I never saw him play at Bama.
Me too and I am a lifelong Packer fan because of Bart.

Superdad

1st Team
Sep 17, 2009
Well, I'm going to blaspheme. Jerry Rice, as good as he was, played on one of the pass happier teams in a pass happy league, with two of the better QB's in recent memory. Hutson played when passing was an afterthought & there were not a lot of rules helping the receivers. By the way can anybody tell us (without looking it up) who threw all of those passes to Hutson? I thought so.

WMack4Bama

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 7, 2008
Tuscaloosa, AL
Well, I'm going to blaspheme. Jerry Rice, as good as he was, played on one of the pass happier teams in a pass happy league, with two of the better QB's in recent memory. Hutson played when passing was an afterthought & there were not a lot of rules helping the receivers. By the way can anybody tell us (without looking it up) who threw all of those passes to Hutson? I thought so.
Seems like I do this once per offseason. And the more I do, the more ridiculous it seems that I have to. Montana was great. Young was great. The guys that played with them were great. Bill Walsh was great. Walsh & Joe had 2 rings before they ever drafted Jerry. But his numbers were average. Joe's stature comes mostly from his brilliant playoff and Super Bowl performances. Young did ok in SF after Jerry left because Terrell Owens had already established himself.

Rice, many people forget, went to Oakland and still performed at an EXTREMELY high level....in 3 seasons he averaged 80 catches & 1000 yds at ages 39,40,and 41.

But aside from that, some other great statesman has already done the legwork for me. Here a summary of what I wanted to say about Rice and who made who.

So for 5 seasons, Grbac (9), Kemp (6), Bono (6), Moroski (2) and Cavanugh (1) starting 24 games for the 49ers. In exactly a year and a half's worth of games, Rice caught 134 passes for 2,177 yards and 23 TDs, and ran for one score as well. That's an average season of 89 catches, 1451 receiving yards and 16 touchdowns, or roughly the career best season for nearly every WR who has ever played the game. And, of course, only 25% of those games came during what we would typically call a wide receiver's prime. Eighteen of those 24 games that he played without Montana or Young came during Rice's first or second season, or when he was 33- or 34-years old. In '95 and '96, playing at an age when most receivers start slowing down, catching passes from Elvis Grbac, and playing with Derek Loville and Terry Kirby at RB, Rice put up numbers that could arguably pass for the best season of Cris Carter's or Steve Largent's career.

And then there are the Jeff Garcia and the Rich Gannon years.

Rice's two worst seasons in San Francisco (ignoring 1997, when he missed most of the season with a torn ACL) were the two seasons when Garcia was the 49ers primary QB. In 1999, he had 830 receiving yards and 5 scores, and the next season he had 805 yards and seven touchdowns. Far from great numbers, but he had a good excuse: Rice was 37 and 38 years old. Only two players in NFL history, Rice and Charlie Joiner, have caught even 600 yards worth of passes at age 37 or older. Only a handful of receivers in NFL history have caught any passes at age 37 or older. It's easy to be blinded by the standard Rice set for himself, but apart from one Charlie Joiner season, those two disappointing seasons were the best in NFL history for a man of his age. And then he moved to Oakland and blew those seasons away.

Of all the unbreakable records set by Rice, what he did in Oakland may be the most impressive. At age 40, he caught 92 passes for over 1200 yards. No other player in NFL history has gained a single yard receiving while in his 40s.

WMack4Bama

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 7, 2008
Tuscaloosa, AL
Anyways. I don't wanna high jack this thread and make it about Jerry. Kudos to Don Hutson, the greatest Packer of all time and a Bama great that gets overlooked more & more as time passes. Hats off to Mr. Hutson for an amazing career

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.