Malaysia Airlines loses contact with passenger jet

Status
Not open for further replies.

Displaced Bama Fan

Hall of Fame
Jun 5, 2000
Shiner, TX
So I'm going to double down on my North Korea theory. I think the North Korean's shot it down and the United States, China, and other relevant powers are covering it up to avoid a war with North Korea. Having North Korea fingered would be bad news for everyone involved. So that's my theory.
So, how could North Korea shoot it down over the South China Sea without violating China's airspace?

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
So I'm going to double down on my North Korea theory. I think the North Korean's shot it down and the United States, China, and other relevant powers are covering it up to avoid a war with North Korea. Having North Korea fingered would be bad news for everyone involved. So that's my theory.
I mean, you know that NK is ~3,000 miles away from where they lost contact with MH730, right?

PacadermaTideUs

All-American
Dec 10, 2009
Navarre, FL
They couldn't. And we would know if they did. At least if it were a launch from the mainland - we keep a pretty sharp eye on NK missile launches. I suppose it could have been a sea-based launch from a small vessel in the SCS using a smaller surface to air missile system such as a stinger, but stinger's can't reach out and touch something at 35,000ft to my knowledge (believe 20,000ft is the ceiling). I think a missile take-down without our knowing about it is a stretch.

Given the beyond coincidental multiple passport hijinks on this flight, IMO it's highly likely that this plane's disappearance has a terror connection.

BamaFlum

Hall of Fame
Dec 11, 2002
S.A., TX, USA
Another possibility........hijacked and landed somewhere (jungle landing strip) which would explain a lot (no wreckage, cell phones still ringing).

:conf3:
That would have to be a pretty impressive jungle strip to handle a 777.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk, so my fat fingers cause misspellings and autocorrect makes my ships into...

RedStar

Hall of Fame
Jan 28, 2005
The Shoals, AL
What does that prove?

Doesn't a cell phone ring whether or not the phone is still operating or not?

Isn't the only other options that 1) it go directly to voice mail when turned off or 2) the call is actually answered?

I don't understand the significance here.
If the cell phones ring, that generally means they still have battery life/haven been shut off.

You wouldn't think that'd be possible at the bottom of an ocean.

Gr8hope

All-American
Nov 10, 2010
"Hong Kong's Air Traffic Control Center reported on Mar 10th 2014 around 17:30L (09:30Z) that an airliner enroute on airway L642 reported via HF radio that they saw a large field of debris at position N9.72 E107.42 about 80nm southeast of Ho Chi Minh City, about 50nm off the south-eastern coast of Vietnam in the South China Sea and about 281nm northeast of the last known radar position. Ships have been dispatched to the reported debris field.

Vietnam's Headquarters for the Search and Rescue operation of MH-370 confirmed receiving the report by Hong Kong's Air Traffic Control Center stating that a Hong Kong based airliner reported a large field of debris while enroute on airway L642. A Thai cargo ship in the area was asked for assistance and has set course to the area but did not find anything unusual so far. A second vessel asked for assistance did find some debris. Following this finding Vietnam's Maritime Search and Rescue Services (MRCC) dispatched a ship to the debris field.

Hong Kong's Civil Aviation Department confirmed a Cathay Pacific flight from Hong Kong to Kuala Lumpur spotted large amount of debris while enroute off the coast of South East Vietnam."

Link from the Aviation Herald: http://avherald.com/h?article=4710c69b&opt=0
I do not know if this is a reputable site.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
The last one was the descent of a long range missile. They fire those things out over the ocean all the time, and their long-range missiles can easily make it that far.
Even if they did have a missile with that range, it's not a surface-to-air missile - the chances of them being to hit a moving airplane (even one as slow as an airliner) are essentially zero. I'm don't think even the US military has that capability.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
As for the the ringing, I spoke to a good friend who is a system tech at Verizon this AM, this was his reply:
Ringing indicates the phone has been paged and the connection is set up. That said, there might be some instances where the phone is out of country or roaming where the ringing might start momentarily, then go to VM due to the various systems being used.

The ringing is just a tone the phone company injects to let you know something is happening while all the signaling is taking place, since everything is digital for the most part nowadays.
He's explained how the system works in the past, and essentially they mobile system always knows where the nearest cell tower is, which is how they can streamline the data capacity needed throughout the system. If you are on the interstate driving and turn your phone off for an hour, when you turn it back on, it has to establish a hand-shake with the nearest tower - but until you turn it back on, if a call is made to your phone, the system will start at the last known location and starting pinging the phone waiting for a response. Once it gets one, it routes the call to the nearest tower and the call connects. If it does not, it goes to VM. In this case, since the last known location of any of these phones was likely a few miles off shore, a call will result in the system first reaching from that tower, then spreading from there. Not knowing the systems used over there I couldn't begin to speculate on how they work (though I do know that, generally speaking, the mobile systems in most Asian countries make ours look pathetic), but based on what my friend told me it would not be out of the ordinary for a roaming phone to ring on the caller's side while the system attempted to locate the recipient's phone.

RedStar

Hall of Fame
Jan 28, 2005
The Shoals, AL
As for the the ringing, I spoke to a good friend who is a system tech at Verizon this AM, this was his reply:

He's explained how the system works in the past, and essentially they mobile system always knows where the nearest cell tower is, which is how they can streamline the data capacity needed throughout the system. If you are on the interstate driving and turn your phone off for an hour, when you turn it back on, it has to establish a hand-shake with the nearest tower - but until you turn it back on, if a call is made to your phone, the system will start at the last known location and starting pinging the phone waiting for a response. Once it gets one, it routes the call to the nearest tower and the call connects. If it does not, it goes to VM. In this case, since the last known location of any of these phones was likely a few miles off shore, a call will result in the system first reaching from that tower, then spreading from there. Not knowing the systems used over there I couldn't begin to speculate on how they work (though I do know that, generally speaking, the mobile systems in most Asian countries make ours look pathetic), but based on what my friend told me it would not be out of the ordinary for a roaming phone to ring on the caller's side while the system attempted to locate the recipient's phone.
Aight, I'll raise you this, from The Washington Post:

One of the most eerie rumors came after a few relatives said they were able to call the cellphones of their loved ones or find them on a Chinese instant messenger service called QQ that indicated that their phones were still somehow online.

A migrant worker in the room said that several other workers from his company were on the plane, including his brother-in-law. Among them, the QQ accounts of three still showed that they were online, he said Sunday afternoon.

Adding to the mystery, other relatives in the room said that when they dialed some passengers’ numbers, they seemed to get ringing tones on the other side even though the calls were not picked up.
...and...

One man said he had convinced two policemen to come to his home Sunday night to witness the active QQ account on his desktop computer. But sometime Monday afternoon, when he wasn’t paying attention, it had suddenly switched off.

Like so many involved, he was now left with even more questions left unanswered. Did the phone’s battery run out? Had sea water damaged it? Was it just a random anomaly of some Internet server? Or was the plane hijacked and still out there somewhere?

“I hope someone can answer these questions for me,” he said.
Online instant messaging accounts? Maybe these are desperate family members clinging to false hope, but it still makes the hair stand up on the back of my neck.

Last edited:

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Interesting, though without knowing what the QQ system is like, no telling if it means anything - could very well be they had mirrored accounts on other machines.

The most disturbing thing about all this is the news media who apparently haven't taken the few minutes to reach out to the mobile representatives in that part of the world to ask about how this could / would work in their system. I was curious so I called a friend - you'd think the new media would at least have done that already, but no - they just continue posting rumor and innuendo rather like it's an editorial.

I admit I'm curious, but I also recall it took five days to find ANY debris from the Air France jet that went down a few years ago. Not very hopeful this will end any differently.

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
I have never heard of a phone still ringing on the other end when it was off. I know mine goes straight to VM when it is turned off. I cannot imagine the phones surviving a plane crash and the ocean. This is getting freaky. The biggest problem with this is it is just adding fuel to the fire for the conspiracy theorists like Alex Jones.

TexasBama

TideFans Legend
Jan 15, 2000
Houston, Texas USA
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/wor...Malaysia-Airlines-MH370-plane-crash-live.html

"12.07 Malaysia’s Berita Harian newspaper quoted air force chief Rodzali Daud as saying the missing plane was last detected by military radar at 2:40 a.m. on Saturday, near the island of Pulau Perak at the northern end of the Strait of Malacca.

The time given by Rodzali was an hour and 10 minutes after the plane vanished from air traffic control screens over Igari waypoint, midway between Malaysia and Vietnam."

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
I have never heard of a phone still ringing on the other end when it was off. I know mine goes straight to VM when it is turned off.
Well, that's because you aren't roaming - driving around in GA is very different than flying over the ocean where the nearest mobile tower is 100 miles away...

I cannot imagine the phones surviving a plane crash and the ocean.
They would not. Not only that, even if they were waterproof they'd not receive the signal under water.

This is getting freaky.
Not really, I think folks are grasping at straws - people love conspiracy theories. I'd LOVE to be wrong (and desperately hope I am), but I suspect in the next few days they'll start to find debris. Occam's razor and all that.

Bama Reb

Suspended
Nov 2, 2005
On the lake and in the woods, AL
The ringing is just a tone the phone company injects to let you know something is happening while all the signaling is taking place, since everything is digital for the most part nowadays.
Back when I was with Sprint (Nextel) I had an issue with my phone line not ringing when someone would call and I was out of range. It would just be 'dead air' for about a minute before it would go to VM. I missed a lot of calls because of that. I asked them if there was something they could do about it, and they said no.. [Bye bye, Sprint]

RedStar

Hall of Fame
Jan 28, 2005
The Shoals, AL
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/wor...Malaysia-Airlines-MH370-plane-crash-live.html

"12.07 Malaysia’s Berita Harian newspaper quoted air force chief Rodzali Daud as saying the missing plane was last detected by military radar at 2:40 a.m. on Saturday, near the island of Pulau Perak at the northern end of the Strait of Malacca.

The time given by Rodzali was an hour and 10 minutes after the plane vanished from air traffic control screens over Igari waypoint, midway between Malaysia and Vietnam."

If this is true, now we're getting somewhere.

More on those details... http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/sns-rt-us-malaysia-airlines-military-20140311,0,2959619.story

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.