Malaysia Airlines loses contact with passenger jet

Status
Not open for further replies.

RedStar

Hall of Fame
Jan 28, 2005
The Shoals, AL
Interesting, though without knowing what the QQ system is like, no telling if it means anything - could very well be they had mirrored accounts on other machines.

The most disturbing thing about all this is the news media who apparently haven't taken the few minutes to reach out to the mobile representatives in that part of the world to ask about how this could / would work in their system. I was curious so I called a friend - you'd think the new media would at least have done that already, but no - they just continue posting rumor and innuendo rather like it's an editorial.

I admit I'm curious, but I also recall it took five days to find ANY debris from the Air France jet that went down a few years ago. Not very hopeful this will end any differently.
Yeah there's a lot of things that bother me about this whole event and that's one of them. We've heard reports that the plane may have tried to turn around now for 4 days. Why hasn't anyone asked for more elaboration on that? That seems like a pretty important detail, but I've seen no follow up questions or theories until the reports surfaced today that it might have been over the Strait of Malacca.

Why hasn't anyone reached out to any cell phone companies to ask how the phones are still ringing? Or why it isn't possible to track their phones location with GPS? No one on that plane had an iPhone with GPS services turned on?

I'm sure there are reasonable answers to these questions, I just don't understand why no one's asking them.

dayhiker

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Dec 8, 2000
Pell City, AL
Yeah there's a lot of things that bother me about this whole event and that's one of them. We've heard reports that the plane may have tried to turn around now for 4 days. Why hasn't anyone asked for more elaboration on that? That seems like a pretty important detail, but I've seen no follow up questions or theories until the reports surfaced today that it might have been over the Strait of Malacca.

Why hasn't anyone reached out to any cell phone companies to ask how the phones are still ringing? Or why it isn't possible to track their phones location with GPS? No one on that plane had an iPhone with GPS services turned on?

I'm sure there are reasonable answers to these questions, I just don't understand why no one's asking them.
How do you know that no one is asking those questions?

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
How do you know that no one is asking those questions?
Well, the news is filled only with speculation - if I can find out how Verizon's system works via a five minute convo with a friend, a reporter should be able to gain detailed info about the Asian carriers' systems in four days.

It's pretty obvious no one is asking those questions, but they sure as heck will print the speculation about it.

dayhiker

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Dec 8, 2000
Pell City, AL
Well, the news is filled only with speculation - if I can find out how Verizon's system works via a five minute convo with a friend, a reporter should be able to gain detailed info about the Asian carriers' systems in four days.

It's pretty obvious no one is asking those questions, but they sure as heck will print the speculation about it.
No one in the media is asking those questions, but that doesn't mean that the people that matter aren't asking them.

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA
All crazy speculation aside, you can pretty much bet that the 777 is in the water, and that covers a HUGE area. The real questions now are where is it, why it went down and why the crew didn't have the time to send out a mayday?

RedStar

Hall of Fame
Jan 28, 2005
The Shoals, AL
All crazy speculation aside, you can pretty much bet that the 777 is in the water, and that covers a HUGE area. The real questions now are where is it, why it went down and why the crew didn't have the time to send out a mayday?
If it's in the water, how come S&R teams haven't picked up a transmitter signal for the black box? For the black box to not give off a signal, either the plane landed safely or it was obliterated. From what I understand the only way the black box could be obliterated is via a nuclear detonation and no satellites picked up the traditional heat signature affiliated with a nuclear detonation.

Basically, nothing about this adds up.

RedStar

Hall of Fame
Jan 28, 2005
The Shoals, AL
Air France AF447's 'black boxes' were not found for two years.
But they were relatively sure where they were, they were just in 3.5 miles of water making it really, really difficult to get to.

AF447 went missing on June 1st 2009, but wreckage was found on June 2nd 2009. It took 2 years for them to find the bulk of the plane, but less than 24 hours to find the wreckage floating on the surface of a body of water that was over 41,000,000 square miles. It's been 4 days since Flight 370 went missing over the Gulf of Thailand (only 120,000 square miles, minuscule compared to the Atlantic) and there hasn't been a single shred of wreckage found.

Maybe it crashed & maybe it's at the bottom of the gulf, but I find it incredibly odd that they haven't found a single floating seat in a body of water that's 341 times smaller than the one AF447 went down in.

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA
If it's in the water, how come S&R teams haven't picked up a transmitter signal for the black box? For the black box to not give off a signal, either the plane landed safely or it was obliterated. From what I understand the only way the black box could be obliterated is via a nuclear detonation and no satellites picked up the traditional heat signature affiliated with a nuclear detonation.

Basically, nothing about this adds up.
We're talking about 1000's and 1000's of square miles to search and they are now considering searching in the Andaman Sea on the west side of Malaysia.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Right, but they knew where that plane went down. I don't understand how the transponders that are supposed to go off when the plane crashes didn't work.
Not really - took them five days to find the first large piece of wreckage. A 777 can glide some 120 miles from 35k feet (total engine failure).

the transponders will only emit a signal for the first 30 or so days, after that, it gets REALLY tough.

Last edited:

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
No wreckage and no communication from the pilot is what is most baffling about this whole situation.

Then add no homing signals have been picked up and it really makes you wonder what the heck happened.

Remember in "Castaway" after he was rescued, Tom Hanks was told that the search was concentrated in a certain area - but what they didn't realize is the plane was way off course when it crashed. Which is why they missed finding it and him.

That's gotta be what's happening here...the plane was off course and the search may also be away from where it should be.

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
Are we talking about true transponders or a pinging device that the black boxes have.
Bamaro....

Here's an article that touches on this....

As the hunt for the missing Malaysia Airlines jet continues, experts say it's not surprising that no emergency signals have been picked up — especially if the plane is underwater.
ELT signals are meant to continue broadcasting for 30 days, Curtis said, and they may be picked up by a variety of technology including satellites and aircraft searching overhead.But that's only if the plane and ELT are on land. If the plane is underwater, that poses a new set of problems.

"If the airplane had crashed on land and survived the impact, then there’s a probability that the actual ELT would still be working," former National Transportation Safety Board investigator Greg Feith said on TODAY on Saturday. "But when it goes into the water, it’s a whole different story."

RedStar

Hall of Fame
Jan 28, 2005
The Shoals, AL
We're talking about 1000's and 1000's of square miles to search and they are now considering searching in the Andaman Sea on the west side of Malaysia.
Yeah, but that's still minuscule compared to finding AF447 debris in the Atlantic a day after it crashed.

Add to that the Straight of Malacca is one of the busiest shipping routes in the world. Someone should have seen something.

It's getting harder and harder to differentiate between facts & speculation, but the one thing I feel pretty confident in is that this plane did not crash in the Gulf of Thailand. Whether it crashed off course or was hijacked I have no idea. But it disappeared at 35,000 feet over the Gulf of Thailand on the same day it ended up not being found anywhere near the Gulf of Thailand?

Did the radar fail or go offline just before it veered off course? And the black box & the underwater locator beacon both failed to send off a signal? That seems... odd.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.