Malaysia Airlines loses contact with passenger jet

Status
Not open for further replies.

Luvubama

All-SEC
May 26, 2008
Charlotte NC
This is very strange indeed. I first heard about it around 1:30 today and haven't heard boo since. I keep thinking there must be foul play but no way to know. Prayers for all those on board!

BamaFlum

Hall of Fame
Dec 11, 2002
S.A., TX, USA
That ain't good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk, so my fat fingers cause misspellings and autocorrect makes my ships into...

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Flying is still the safest motorized transportation known to man. We hear about plane crashes (which hopefully this is not, but little hope of that) because of the dramatic loss of a collection of lives, but every 2.5 days more people die in auto accidents in the US alone. It's estimated that 3,397 people die in auto accidents every day.

Flying is the safest thing going.

GreatDanish

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2005
TN
Flying is still the safest motorized transportation known to man. We hear about plane crashes (which hopefully this is not, but little hope of that) because of the dramatic loss of a collection of lives, but every 2.5 days more people die in auto accidents in the US alone. It's estimated that 3,397 people die in auto accidents every day.

True.
A major difference is that in a car accident, I feel like I have some control and could very well survive most accidents. If the plane goes down, I'm pretty much dead.
And both are safer than motorcycles.

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
There's a story out now that an Italian national living in Malaysia had his passport stolen last November and that passport was used by one of the passengers of this flight....

Terrorism?

:(

An extraordinary story has just emerged from Italy in relation to missing flight MH 370.Luigi Maraldi, 37, from Cesena, was named as one of the passengers on board the plane.
However, reports in Italy have confirmed that he was NOT on board and that he had reported his passport stolen last August.
Mr Maraldi's parents have spoken to him in Thailand and he is 'fine', news agency ANSA reports.

The revelation suggests that one of the 227 passengers on board the missing flight was using a stolen passport.
http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news/missing-malaysia-airlines-flight-live-3219331

Also this:

The 12-mile oil slick discovered by the Vietnamese Navy is the first confirmed piece of evidence that flight MH370 may have crashed.

It was spotted during searches of the South China Sea earlier.
We're expecting another press conference shortly and hope to hear more then.

And this:

"Modern aircrafts are beautifully built and incredibly safe.
"If the engines were to fail because of some kind of interruption to the fuel flow, they can glide with no problems whatsoever for about 40 minutes at that height."Mr Learmount said the time which the Malaysia Airlines plane went missing may be significant.He said: "Between midnight and 2am you're not at a mental or physical performance high - you're at the lowest performance standard in the 24-hour cycle."The failure to locate the plane so far was not unusual, he added, with investigators taking two years to find the missing Air France 447 plane.However, Mr Learmount admitted he was "puzzled" why authorities had not divulged a more accurate location of where the aircraft went missing."They may not know precisely but they know pretty accurately," he said.​

And this:

This Gif shows the moment flight MH370 disappeared.

Flight tracking website flightradar24.com says it lost contact 40 minutes after take off from Kuala Lumpur, not two hours as previously reported.

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa

I was in a car once and the engine stalled... I survived rather easily.

If I had been in a plane and the engine stalled, I pretty sure I would not survive.

PacadermaTideUs

All-American
Dec 10, 2009
Navarre, FL
There's a story out now that an Italian national living in Malaysia had his passport stolen last November and that passport was used by one of the passengers of this flight....
Apparently an Austrian also had his passport stolen and was incorrectly listed as a passenger. Looking more and more like an act of terrorism.

Story

TexasBama

TideFans Legend
Jan 15, 2000
Houston, Texas USA
Depends on how you chose to look at it

"Per every billion kilometers traveled, trains have a fatality rate 12 times over air travel; by comparison, fatality rates for automobiles are 62 times greater than air travel. By contrast, for every billion journeys, buses are the safest form of transportation. By the last measure, air transportation is three times more dangerous than car transportation, and almost 30 times more dangerous than bus"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aviation_accidents_and_incidents

The reference link in this article has some 2000 stats. Based on this, you're 3x more likely to die every time you get a plane vs every time you get in a car.

The airlines like to quote per mile because it skews the stats in their favor.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
I was in a car once and the engine stalled... I survived rather easily.

If I had been in a plane and the engine stalled, I pretty sure I would not survive.
You can come up with all sorts of fantastic 'what-ifs', but the numbers don't lie. You're far more likely to be killed in a car than in a plane.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.