Assessment of the Vols

owenfieldreams

Big-12 All American
Sep 8, 2002
galveston tx. usa
delpapabud.com
We play Tennessee in Norman on 9/13. I am betting it is a nght game but as many of you remember from your visit to Norman a few years back, if it's a day game, it will more than likely be very hot.

I am wondering where you think Butch Jones is in his rebuilding effort and just how good the Vols will be this year? We visit Knoxville in 2015. I know how familiar you all are with the Vol program so I am hoping for an honest opinion. We would appear to be loaded for next year with 9 starters back on D plus our original starting NT who we lost for the year before the Texas game. We get 6 OL members back who have started at least one game. The positions there will be battles for are RB, WR, & TE. We are loaded @ RB & WR but they are young. We do get Sterling Shepherd (#3) back in the slot. Our kicking game is outstanding with our punter and place kicker back. And, of course, TK is back @ QB. Many are predicting we will make the 4 team playoff but I am not ready to crown us quite yet. We have a favorable schedule getting Baylor, K-State, & Ok. State all @ home. We have far greater depth than we had last year so if the injury bug bites us we should be able to handle it.

I am hoping for a rematch with the Tide in the playoff but first things first. we have to get there and it starts with Tennessee (we actually open with La. Tech on 8/31 and then we're open before the Vols come to Norman.

BamaHoosier

All-American
Jan 17, 2011
Noblesville Indiana
I haven't researched to see who they have had leave and stay, but I wouldn't worry too much if I were you. Best case is that they are a mediocre, middle of the road SEC team, worst case they lose to UK and Vandy again to be a bottom feeder. Butch Jones seems to be a pretty solid coach, but they are still deep within the process of rebuilding. 2015 might be an entertaining game if UT can progress some between now and then, but next year should be a good chance for Stoops to crow about manhandling two straight SEC teams.

TUSKtimes

1st Team
Sep 18, 2008
Right here, Right now
We play Tennessee in Norman on 9/13. I am betting it is a nght game but as many of you remember from your visit to Norman a few years back, if it's a day game, it will more than likely be very hot.

I am wondering where you think Butch Jones is in his rebuilding effort and just how good the Vols will be this year? We visit Knoxville in 2015. I know how familiar you all are with the Vol program so I am hoping for an honest opinion. We would appear to be loaded for next year with 9 starters back on D plus our original starting NT who we lost for the year before the Texas game. We get 6 OL members back who have started at least one game. The positions there will be battles for are RB, WR, & TE. We are loaded @ RB & WR but they are young. We do get Sterling Shepherd (#3) back in the slot. Our kicking game is outstanding with our punter and place kicker back. And, of course, TK is back @ QB. Many are predicting we will make the 4 team playoff but I am not ready to crown us quite yet. We have a favorable schedule getting Baylor, K-State, & Ok. State all @ home. We have far greater depth than we had last year so if the injury bug bites us we should be able to handle it.

I am hoping for a rematch with the Tide in the playoff but first things first. we have to get there and it starts with Tennessee (we actually open with La. Tech on 8/31 and then we're open before the Vols come to Norman.

Not a single starting offensive lineman returns for the vils. QB position is iffy at best and they lost their best running back as well. Their slot receiver, "Pig" Howard has taken an indefinite leave from the team and he was the best they had coming back. Much of their D line is being replaced. That said, avoid apathy and indifference, you will be fine.

danb

All-SEC
Dec 4, 2011
Hazel Green, AL
Not a single starting offensive lineman returns for the vils. QB position is iffy at best and they lost their best running back as well. Their slot receiver, "Pig" Howard has taken an indefinite leave from the team and he was the best they had coming back. Much of their D line is being replaced. That said, avoid apathy and indifference, you will be fine.
This pretty much sums it up. I really hate to see the viles in such a downward slump. I hope they can get it together soon! :rolleye2:

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
If your team doesn't pull an Alabama sugar Bowl performance y'all should win by at least 14 points. The Vols are replacing their entire OL and DL. Their secondary is pretty good. QB and WRs are marginal.

ALA2262

All-American
Aug 4, 2007
Cumming, GA
Not a single starting defensive lineman returning either. Making them the ONLY team with NO returning starters on the line. #128 of 128. They are one of nine with no DL returning starters. They are the ONLY one with no OL returning starters. Again, #128 of 128.

irNate

1st Team
Nov 19, 2010
Snellville, GA
Tennessee will probably shut you guys out.......

Seriously though if you are worried about UT, I'd worry more about over looking LaTech :D

Jordan54

1st Team
Aug 20, 2007
Gardendale, Al
Last years Vols was one of the worst I've seen in my lifetime. They lack the talent to compete with the better teams at this time. I think the jury's still out on whether Jones can get the job done. OU by 4 td's over the Vols in September.

BigEasyTider

FB | REC Moderator
Nov 27, 2007
Long story short, unless you guys absolutely wet yourselves, you'll beat Tennessee like a drum and then not even think of them again for another 30 years.

AUTigers001

1st Team
Feb 3, 2010
They got quite a few JUCO's and early signees... it will be interesting to see how the new guys fit into the playing rotation. By the time fall proactice begins and their entire class is practicing, almost 50% of their players will be new this year. I think they need another year or two to get their feet under them.

Matt0424

All-American
Jan 16, 2010
Hoover, Al
I think Butch Jones has them heading in the right direction, as his recruiting the last couple of years seems to indicate. They won't be good this year though. As many have posted, the are replacing too much in their fronts (offensive and defensive), combined with no real answer at QB yet... I think their defense as a whole will be better this year, but they are still a middle of the pack SEC East team at best. 1-2 years from now, they may be back in the hunt for the East...but now is not their time.

TUSKtimes

1st Team
Sep 18, 2008
Right here, Right now
If tennessee misses on one more football coach, they should be irrelevant for years to come. My guess, "Butch gets it," minus some of his dignity, when it's all said and done.

WMack4Bama

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 7, 2008
Tuscaloosa, AL
Tennessee is improving. And Butch Jones has then playing tough. Expect very physical line play. I think OU's skill players will be the difference, but it will be a hard fought win

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
Knowing Tennessee I expect their band is practicing 'Rocky Top'. (Pretty good band)

The football team will need someone to show them how to exit the locker room.
(Pretty Bad)
From what they have returning, I'd say they will have to rebuild part of their team from the ground up.

I thought DD would have done a better job, when he got his chance at 'Coon Dog U'.

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.