Link: Houses wrecked repeatedly by sea rebuilt with taxes (Flood insurance on risky homes)

chanson78

All-American
Nov 1, 2005
Huntsville, AL
What is your guys' opinion on this?

http://www.bostonglobe.com/lifestyle/health-wellness/2014/03/09/sea-level-rose-government-paid-nine-flood-claims-scituate-home/P9PvgncnRm3pjdQYt8mxuK/story.html

Article said:
Over and over again, the Atlantic has taken aim at 48 Oceanside Drive. Almost four decades ago, it slammed the seafront house clear off its foundation. Thirteen years later, ocean water poured through the roof during a nor’easter. So often has the sea catapulted grapefruit-sized rocks through the vacation home’s windows that a former owner installed bulletproof glass.

In all, the property has sustained significant flood damage from coastal storms at least nine times. And each time, the federal government helped owners rebuild with National Flood Insurance Program payouts — a sum estimated to total more than three-quarters of a million dollars over the years.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
I do not approve of it. I understand there is weather risk to houses almost anywhere in this country. But at some point, people have to acknowledge that there are places that are simply uninhabitable. And I am vehemently opposed to paying for this with taxpayer funds.

Islander

1st Team
Jul 18, 2008
Hoover or Dauphin Island
I have a house on he coast. The rules for flood insurance now limit your claims to half of the value. After that, you can't get insurance anymore. The next hurricane puts me over the limit and I will have to tear it down or raise it above flood level. Difficult and expensive to do with a slab foundation.

Last edited:

tidefanbeezer

All-American
Sep 25, 2006
Atlanta, GA
I say end the premium subsidy and grants. There are financial consequences to building property in high risk areas and those consequences should be borne by the homeowner who chose to purchase the property, not the tax paying public.

Ideally, I'd rather see flood insurance privatized. However, having worked at an insurance company for 10+ years, I can assure you no private insurer will touch this stuff unless the regulations around it (i.e. coverage required, premiums charged, cancellation provisions, etc) are changed significantly. Too much downside for the company, which is why the government handles it.

Bodhisattva

Hall of Fame
Aug 22, 2001
Ponte Vedra Beach, Florida
nothing is simple. it depends on whether we are using your definition of enumerated power, or the one that exists.

personally, i think flood insurance is absurd.
It's not my definition of enumerated powers. I don't believe the Founders wrote anything about flood insurance, and I don't recall seeing a flood insurance amendment.

And yes, the concept of the federal government being in the flood insurance business is absurd.

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA
The Biggert-Waters Flood Insurance Reform Act was to address some financial issues, especially section 207. I dont know how much has been implemented though.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.