Have Any Of You Bought Portable Solar Panels

gmart74

Hall of Fame
Oct 9, 2005
Baltimore, Md
Just wondering if any of you have recommendations on solar panels. Woot has a goalzero deal and I was wondering if it was worth it.

Last edited:

G-VilleTider

Suspended
Aug 17, 2006
power outages so i can keep posting to tidefans.

...and im being serious.
If you are serious, why not just buy a $10 converter that you can plug into the cigarette lighter of your car and has a standard 110 volt plug? For anything more power hungry, you will get a lot more bang for your buck with a standard gas generator ... and you don't have to have great weather ... than you will with Solar Panels. The tech and storage is getting better but I would just get the cheap converter and wait a bit for the tech to improve according to the needs you have described.

gmart74

Hall of Fame
Oct 9, 2005
Baltimore, Md
My thinking is basically along the lines of this:
If the power goes out for a week, I want to conserve gasoline to run a generator for the sump pump and fridge.
I want solar to charge my phone and kindle so I can communicate. Plus I want something portable for picnics/hiking/etc. Who knows what I'll need power for while camping but it would be a nice option to have.
Plus when I go to Brazil they have crappy electricity. it took me 3 hours plugged into a wall just to get 20% more charge on my phone. Maybe solar down there would work a lot better.

Displaced Bama Fan

Hall of Fame
Jun 5, 2000
Shiner, TX
If the power goes out for a week, I want to conserve gasoline to run a generator for the sump pump and fridge.
I want solar to charge my phone and kindle so I can communicate. Plus I want something portable for picnics/hiking/etc. Who knows what I'll need power for while camping but it would be a nice option to have.
Plus when I go to Brazil they have crappy electricity. it took me 3 hours plugged into a wall just to get 20% more charge on my phone. Maybe solar down there would work a lot better.
the problem is, if the power goes out, eventually the cell towers' generators will go out as well.

gmart74

Hall of Fame
Oct 9, 2005
Baltimore, Md
the problem is, if the power goes out, eventually the cell towers' generators will go out as well.
2 yrs ago i lost power in baltimore for 6 days. everyone else but my block had power.

I've got a whole farm of them for when the revolution happens. I gotta have power to warm my hot tub, bruh.
already getting the doc to write me a hot tub script. gotta enjoy the finer things in life when fighting off the hoards.

BamaInMo1

All-American
Oct 27, 2006
Cumming, GA
Just ask Obama. He can tell you all about "alternative energy".....................(meant to be in blue font in case it doesn't show).

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
review on portable solar panels

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
I'm using solar power right now to light my den. It doesn't work too well at night, however.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.