New Idea for Rules Committee to Address Pace of Play

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I haven't heard this one yet, but somebody called into the Morning Drive this morning from Jasper and proposed this idea.

ONCE THE OFFENSE GETS TO THE LOS THEY SHOULD ONLY HAVE 7-10 SECONDS TO SNAP THE BALL.

I like the idea. First, the HUNH couldn't run up to the LOS and then wait 15-30 seconds to get a play called in (while the defense is waiting but can't substitute). Second, this would probably allow a small window for easier defensive substitutions.

As it is currently, the HUNH team can rush to the LOS as soon as the ball is marked for play by the official and then take up to 15-30 seconds to get a play off all the while the defense can't sub because as soon as they tried the center could snap the ball and qb could take a knee and the defense would be penalized for too many men on the field.

Seems like it would perhaps alleiviate what has been called "the loophole" or "competitive advantage" for the HUNH and make them take a little longer to get set in their offensive alignment unless they were truly going fast and not waiting for signals from the sideline.

Bama-94-00

All-American
Nov 1, 2004
Huntsville/Madison, AL area
I haven't heard this one yet, but somebody called into the Morning Drive this morning from Jasper and proposed this idea.

ONCE THE OFFENSE GETS TO THE LOS THEY SHOULD ONLY HAVE 7-10 SECONDS TO SNAP THE BALL.

I like the idea. First, the HUNH couldn't run up to the LOS and then wait 15-30 seconds to get a play called in (while the defense is waiting but can't substitute). Second, this would probably allow a small window for easier defensive substitutions. ...
I like the idea, but more like 10-12 sec. The penalty for this could be a delay of game or the offense is charges with a TO.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
The gator likes that idea!
Which one? The 7-10 second rule to snap the ball when you get to the LOS OR the 3 and out one?

Obviously, three and out works everytime IF YOU CAN DO IT.

Problem is these offenses are built to make lots of first downs and produce points. Nobody would run 'em if there were lots of three and outs.

I know the referee could stand over the ball longer to slow things down and give defenses the opportunity to sub, but I like the idea that IF YOU WANT TO RUN THE HURRY UP YOU ACTUALLY HAVE TO HURRY UP and you can't hold the defense hostage while standing up at the LOS when you are not planning on snapping the ball in a hurry unless the defense tries to sub.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I actually suggested it in one of the other threads, only I said 5 seconds, once the defense had taken the LOS and frozen...

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Former post...
IMO, and I can't remember how many threads we've had or where I've stated it, the whole offense is based off a loophole in the rules. An offense should have "x" number of seconds to get off a play after taking the LOS, like five. Rushing to the line, when you have no idea of what play you're going to run until you look to the idiot boards, is exploiting a loophole. I have no problem with the way the Broncos run it, with CPM running the offense. He's actually calling the plays, based on what he sees - not on what the OC has relayed down to the sidelines...

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I remember reading that Earle, but I must have missed the part about only having a few seconds (five as you proposed) to get the play off.

As usual, you are ahead of the curve!

Maybe the rules committee will take a look at something like this.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I remember reading that Earle, but I must have missed the part about only having a few seconds (five as you proposed) to get the play off.

As usual, you are ahead of the curve!

Maybe the rules committee will take a look at something like this.
It should bite on both sides. If the defense takes the LOS and freezes, then the offense has to snap. Fair for both sides. Of course, then the complaints will come from the offense, because they would be robbed of the time to look to the sideline and get the actual call. Point is, neither side should allowed to come to the LOS until they're ready to snap or defend...

CoachJeff

Suspended
Jan 21, 2014
Shelby County Alabama
I enjoy seeing the cat and mouse game between offenses and defenses where the offense will call a play, the defense audibles, the offense calls another audible until they have to snap the ball. Usually that's not what happens with these teams but it would be next to impossible to make adjustments so maybe the spirit of this rule would be good but it hurts teams that have quarterbacks that are capable of automatic out of that place

westide

All-SEC
Jan 22, 2011
If Bama adopts the HUNH and goes undefeated there will be a special NCAA meeting to ban it. I do think we will see a more uptempo offense this year, but I doubt anyone would ever confuse our offense with Oregon's or Baylor's.

mdb-tpet

All-SEC
Sep 2, 2004
If Bama adopts the HUNH and goes undefeated there will be a special NCAA meeting to ban it. I do think we will see a more uptempo offense this year, but I doubt anyone would ever confuse our offense with Oregon's or Baylor's.
I really hope we or someone takes advantage of this loophole and forces another team's defense to play every series with the same personnel without rotating anyone. Run the line of scrimmage, force the defense to line up, get the call sent in, then wait until the last second to snap the ball. Everytime. Kinda of a Dean Smith four corners exploitation of the rules.

Isaiah 63:1

All-American
Dec 8, 2005
Probably at 35k or in an airport somewhere
It should bite on both sides. If the defense takes the LOS and freezes, then the offense has to snap. Fair for both sides. Of course, then the complaints will come from the offense, because they would be robbed of the time to look to the sideline and get the actual call. Point is, neither side should allowed to come to the LOS until they're ready to snap or defend...
This is right on. Even if football were intended to be a continuous game, excessive delay at the LOS makes no sense. Rugby, the continuous game most analogous to football, has the following rules [with my editorial comments in brackets like these] governing scrums [the closest, though imperfect, equivalent of both teams coming to the LOS in football]:

Rule 20.1 FORMING A SCRUM
(d) No delay. A team must not intentionally delay forming a scrum [coming to the line of scrimmage]. Sanction [Penalty]: Free Kick

Rule 20.5 THROWING THE BALL INTO THE SCRUM
No Delay. As soon as the front rows have come together [come to the LOS], the scrum half must throw in [snap] the ball without delay. The scrum half must throw in [snap] the ball when told to do so by the referee... Sanction [Penalty]: Free Kick

The first two words of each rule are identical: "No Delay."

I disliked the 10 second rule, because I thought it was addressing the symptom, not the root problem, which is a combination of poor referee readiness at the snap on those rare occasions the ball is snapped within 10 seconds, and HUNH offenses manipulating the system to slow down the defense by appearing to hurry up. If football is meant to be a continuous game, an assumption the HUNH proponents' arguments require, then the HUNH proponents' tactics are oxymoronic and patently self-serving (unlike mine, of course, which are pure and above suspicion). You want to play hurry up? Fine. Then hurry up. Don't, however, game the system and then go all Saul Alinsky on us by claiming those who disagree with you are the ones trying to game it.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.