Link: Horrible News: Brent Musburger and Jesse Palmer are Lead SEC Network Announcers

uafan4life

Hall of Fame
Mar 30, 2001
Florence, AL
The good news.....is we will still have Verne with us as well!

Never thought I'd say this but I've grown to really appreciate Verne.

Put the crack pipe down and walk away slowly, very slowly.

;)

Sent from my HTC Droid DNA using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Verne is good. He messes up names but he sets the scene well. Danielson is a top 3 color man.

We'll miss them when they're gone.
Verne is the right sort of play by play guy but he's a little past his prime in terms of quick memory access and retention. And the play-by-play guy has to have that quick, think-on-your-feet attribute to be great. He's not the new ESPN breed of play-by-play where the person is a glorified additional color though. He plays well with Danielson too. He doesn't get in Danielson's way or talk over him. Danielson is one of the brightest color guys in terms of real schematic knowledge and feel for the game.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Verne is the right sort of play by play guy but he's a little past his prime in terms of quick memory access and retention. And the play-by-play guy has to have that quick, think-on-your-feet attribute to be great. He's not the new ESPN breed of play-by-play where the person is a glorified additional color though. He plays well with Danielson too. He doesn't get in Danielson's way or talk over him. Danielson is one of the brightest color guys in terms of real schematic knowledge and feel for the game.
Tend to agree about Verne. I've never had the problem with him that many do. It is actually a hard job to learn that many names when you are calling different games each week.

I've said before that Verne is great with CBS golf and the speed of that game allows him to stay on top of "who's who."

cr1mson4l1fe

Suspended
Mar 4, 2014
I absolutely loathe gary danielson, so anything other then "ratboy" will work in my book.. P.s the Guy is no football guru and states only the obvious to real football guru's. Vern should be in a retirement home, lol he can't even keep up with the teams 25 percent of the time.. LOL vern and golf , now theres a winning combination.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I absolutely loathe gary danielson, so anything other then "ratboy" will work in my book.. P.s the Guy is no football guru and states only the obvious to real football guru's. Vern should be in a retirement home, lol he can't even keep up with the teams 25 percent of the time.. LOL vern and golf , now theres a winning combination.
It's one thing to say you don't like him...ok...but I think most people, regardless if they like him or not, would say that Danielson knows football, prepares for the teams he's covering, and offers very insightful breakdowns and even predictions during the game that are typically right on.

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
It's one thing to say you don't like him...ok...but I think most people, regardless if they like him or not, would say that Danielson knows football, prepares for the teams he's covering, and offers very insightful breakdowns and even predictions during the game that are typically right on.
Well said!

FWIW - I have ALWAYS appreciated G.D.'s insights during the game. I may be a football "simpleton" but it always amazes me how he can tell the viewers why a play happened the way it happened. How someone missed their assignment - and as a result - this happened. That stuff to me is the nuts and bolts that I don't really get from a lot of other announcers, frankly.

To each their own but I call 'em as I see 'em.

dayhiker

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Dec 8, 2000
Pell City, AL
Well said!

FWIW - I have ALWAYS appreciated G.D.'s insights during the game. I may be a football "simpleton" but it always amazes me how he can tell the viewers why a play happened the way it happened. How someone missed their assignment - and as a result - this happened. That stuff to me is the nuts and bolts that I don't really get from a lot of other announcers, frankly.

To each their own but I call 'em as I see 'em.
I actually like what he brings to the table too. Sometimes his smugness is a bit much, but his insight outweighs that, imo.

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011
Was this a DEMOTION or a PROMOTION for Musberger, since Fowler is replacing him on the main games on Saturdays? Is it that Musberger likes the look of those girls down South, you know the feminine pulchritude that's abundant in the Southeast.

I think Fowler and Herbstreit will be a great combination.

And yes I do like Nesler and Blackledge. It's always great to see where Blackledge gets to eat prior to games. I'm still a Ron Franklin fan!

I can't wait to see where Mr. Rece Davis lands when he gets a New contract. I think he does a great job.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.